Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 838844 times)

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #720 on: August 21, 2008, 10:54:23 AM »
I think you're my alter-ego, Forrest; sounds like we were into the same stuff at the same time, just 1500 miles apart...  but I'm not sure which of us is the evil twin.   ;)

I caught the Grapes in the late eighties in the 7th St. Entry in Mpls. - the place was as packed as I've ever seen it.  Small and intimate, they barely fit on the stage, and the audience (including me, front and center) was spilling onto what little space they had left.  They didn't care, and launched into the most intense, sweaty, rippin' show I've ever seen, laughing and smiling the whole time.  Truly a highlight of my college go-see-a-live-show-every-weekend days.

I've been ripping my CD collection to MP3 for the last week, rediscovering all kinds of gems I keep overlooking.  Today it's Piano Magic's "A Trick of the Sea" to start...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 11:00:39 AM by SunDummy »
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #721 on: August 21, 2008, 12:50:23 PM »
Currently playing:  Between Interval - "Autumn Continent"

Definitely my favourite Between Interval album,  highlight for me is the brooding fourth track "the tides of time" with the gentle sequence accompanied by the haunting melody over the top. 

Yep, that's a fine album. Nice drawn-out phrases, with a gentle grainy/noise flow to the whole thing. I really enjoy this style.
Just giving it a spin.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #722 on: August 21, 2008, 06:32:12 PM »
Byrne & Eno - Everything That Happens Will Happen Today

This is a really lovely pop album that works perfectly alongside Another Day on Earth

"Strange Overtones" would make a great radio single...if radio was not a synonym for "a once great medium ruined by greed, sloth and corruption".

No new ground is broken...or revisited. It does, however, sound like content middle aged guys having fun! ;-)

The screensaver that comes with the deluxe edition is really nice too.
Downside: one turgid guitar-driven cut and occasional rhythmic constipation. And, like every download I've ever bought (ie. exactly five) there is a minor glitch. Thankfully I bought the actual CD too.

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #723 on: August 22, 2008, 07:06:12 AM »
Vidna Obmana - The Fragmented Dome
The Surreal Sanctuary is my favorite Hypnos and Vidna Obmana Release .... and god, how
i adore The Fragmented Dome with Roach on the Guitar .... so mysterious and eerie but
still gentle and overwhelming

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: August 23, 2008, 06:31:57 AM »
Vidna Obmana - The Fragmented Dome
The Surreal Sanctuary is my favorite Hypnos and Vidna Obmana Release .... and god, how
i adore The Fragmented Dome with Roach on the Guitar .... so mysterious and eerie but
still gentle and overwhelming

Yeah, I love Fragmented Dome and Surreal Sanctuary too. 8)

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #725 on: August 23, 2008, 06:43:45 AM »
Been listening a lot to some artists I first became aware of on APK's excellent Perceived Distances disc:

Beta Two Agonist- Zero Point Field; excellent!
Beta Two Agonist- Autumn Perdue; even better!
Cymphonic- Strataradialis; not what I expected, but very good anyway. Various moods and styles, and even gets dark and eerie in places.

Hey Anthony- I know you have the Jason Corder/Beta Two Agonist collab. What do you think of that one?

I can't believe I'm getting into all this glitchy stuff. ???

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #726 on: August 23, 2008, 07:59:57 AM »
JOE
I agree, Beta Two Agonist: Autumn Perdue is an excellent album.
Here is a link for anyone interested: DATABLOEM.

The joint album with Jason Corder  ("further to find closer", also on Databloem) is a continuous work divided into 9 tracks. To my ears its a tad more Beta Two Agonist in overall style than Jason Corder, but it has a more free-flowing, open style than the more structured Autumn Perdue. It has a fair bit of xylophone/vibraphone once it gets going, which is more a trait of Corder. I'd say its fairly mellow and, not surprisingly, full of fascinating little glitchy sounds, and occasional subtle glitchy rhythms. It really sustains a similar mood and feel throughout its 50 minutes, like it was one large laid-back live set. I really like it once the mood settles in. So yep, well worth having (as with anything Jason has a hand in). I certainly think you will enjoy it, especially as you like the Beta albums.

It also has strong similarities to some tracks from the free release by OffTheSky: Subtle Trees. But much less to the the very recent !escape Kit!, which is a more heavy-handed, broken-beat-oriented album.

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: August 23, 2008, 09:33:10 AM »
HAWKWIND-Space Ritual.  Besides headphones, another good way to listen to this is in your car cranked up to 10 as you're driving down the freeway going 80!! This album kicks some serious ass...

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
« Reply #728 on: August 23, 2008, 10:49:49 AM »
Cluster Berlin 07

I'm liking this more than I'd expected to. A varied, idiosyncratic performance that seems to span and successfully blend aspects of both musicians' past and present work (both together and solo) However it doesn't contain any of the pastoral elements of Roedelius' solo work. That just wouldn't fit somehow.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the 90s live Cluster recordings and could compare. I think this is a must for fans. Even a TG element in there!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 10:53:02 AM by Mark Mushet »

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #729 on: August 23, 2008, 07:12:51 PM »
HAWKWIND-Space Ritual.  Besides headphones, another good way to listen to this is in your car cranked up to 10 as you're driving down the freeway going 80!! This album kicks some serious ass...

Yes! I've been headphoning this album of late, and it has enhanced my experience a hundred-fold. It is mind-blowing how textured and deep Space Ritual is. I keep raging with the Hawkwind for weeks at a time, and just when I think I'm going to OD, I find some tiny detail that makes me love them even more. Just been listening to Lemmy's bass playing on "Time We Left This World Today" off the Doremi album (the Space Ritual version is much shorter) and I don't know how he does it, but it is diabolically good...

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: August 24, 2008, 10:03:03 AM »

The joint album with Jason Corder  ("further to find closer", also on Databloem) is a continuous work divided into 9 tracks. To my ears its a tad more Beta Two Agonist in overall style than Jason Corder, but it has a more free-flowing, open style than the more structured Autumn Perdue. It has a fair bit of xylophone/vibraphone once it gets going, which is more a trait of Corder. I'd say its fairly mellow and, not surprisingly, full of fascinating little glitchy sounds, and occasional subtle glitchy rhythms. It really sustains a similar mood and feel throughout its 50 minutes, like it was one large laid-back live set. I really like it once the mood settles in. So yep, well worth having (as with anything Jason has a hand in). I certainly think you will enjoy it, especially as you like the Beta albums

Good enough for me, Anthony. Thanks for the info!

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #731 on: August 24, 2008, 02:36:24 PM »
You are welcome, Joe.

np

- Paul Shutze: Dressing The Air
think this was to accompany some show/presentation. Fine 37min piece.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #732 on: August 24, 2008, 11:20:44 PM »
9 Dragons--are you referring to the ORIGINAL remastered (assuming you have this) Space Ritual, or this new one I just got which has about 13 minutes that were cut from the show, including a longer version of Brainstorming that is just sublime.  The bonus disc, however, is total crap, awful sound quality radio sessions that never should have seen the light of day, at least on a CD.

g.@.b.

« Reply #733 on: August 25, 2008, 03:44:29 PM »
Exuviae - The White Underneath Sort of a glitchy, droney and, at times, EM mash-up. Very nice.

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #734 on: August 25, 2008, 09:05:08 PM »
Trespassers William - Different Stars - dreamy, melancholy tunes that I love for some reason.
David Byrne & Brian Eno - Everything That Happens Will Happen Today - I love the first single, Strange Overtones, but am unsure about the rest of the album.  I believe it'll grow on me.
Manual - Lost Days, Open Skies And Streaming Tides - a nice collection of unreleased, b-side & compilation tracks.

Undershadow

« Reply #735 on: August 26, 2008, 02:14:10 PM »
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 01:31:17 PM by Undershadow »

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 27, 2008, 11:26:37 AM »
Chris Carter Disobedient

I always forget how good his solo projects are. Busy and propulsive the way I'd prefer to hear TG's engine room these days.

Richard Chartier Further Materials

A compilation of compilation cuts. On first listen, much too disjointed and rarified. Will revisit soon.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #737 on: August 28, 2008, 04:49:30 PM »
Been enjoying these today

- James Bernard: New Life
- Between Interval: Autumn Continent
- Disturbed Earth: Island
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #738 on: August 29, 2008, 05:01:51 AM »
Storey time:

Rapoon- Darker By Light
Rapoon- From Shadows Sleep
Zoviet France- Shadow, Thief Of The Sun

I tried to listen to Time Frost, but I can't get into that anymore. It alternates between too shrill, too loud, too bright, and too quiet and too muddy. And the panning from speaker to speaker is very distracting.

Undershadow

« Reply #739 on: August 30, 2008, 11:00:53 AM »
Mmmm. Niiiice.

New album of blissed out guitar drone from Hakobune.

http://www.symbolicinteraction.net/pgt02.html