Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 821978 times)

Infraction

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #740 on: August 30, 2008, 01:55:20 PM »

Undershadow

« Reply #741 on: August 31, 2008, 12:05:44 PM »

Yeah, now you come to mention it, it is a bit coffee-table-perchingly uber-tasteful.
The audio contents, though, are decidedly un-ECM like.
Touch still have the touch.

Mr English explains the album's concept compellingly here: http://artforum.com/words/id=20874

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #742 on: September 01, 2008, 11:45:19 AM »

foggy:

http://www.touchmusic.org.uk/catalogue/tone_31_lawrence_english_kiri.html

When did Touch become ECM   :)

Jason
infractionrecords.com

Somewhat later than Sony, I'd guess. But Wozencroft is of a generation that can't help but be influenced by ECM. Is anyone else as tired as I am of photos of skies and beaches and clouds and shells and ________?

At first glance I'd say this resembles the ECM LP "Dansere" from, what, 1975? Maybe riffing a bit on "Dis" by Towner/Garbarek? I love looking at mists and nature but really, its time for artists and labels to move on.

The Pjusk release on 12k is a nice photographic turn on an urban quasi-pastoral scene. It's a top down view of a leafless tree obviously viewed from an apartment on a grey day. It avoids the deathless romantic nature/weather view while still hinting at the kind of connections referred to in the Artforum piece Alan linked to. 

PS watch your mailbox Jason! Got an order coming shortly too!

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #743 on: September 01, 2008, 07:58:03 PM »
Alva Noto Unitxt

Nicely engineered, text-inspired, rhythmic seriousness from Carsten Nicolai. The beats pall a bit at the 3/4 mark but there's a certain thrill to this kind of music that's hard to describe. A great listen post-Obedience by Carter. Later kin perhaps.

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #744 on: September 02, 2008, 06:53:40 AM »
I have to admit I've never been much a fan of the artwork on Touch's releases.  There was one instance where I thought the interior of the digipak was far more interesting than the choice on the cover (maybe Substrata?)  They just seem like random images sometimes, or that the artwork leads the theme of the music, rather than vice versa.

This morning I have been playing Vidna Obmana's Opera for Four Fusion Works.  Aside from the first act, I had not given this one much in the way of repeated listens.  It is a difficult work at times, especially the middle two sections, but I think I like it on the whole.  If you ask me, the fourth part is way too brief ... just when it's getting started (or so it seems), it's over.  I got the impression Dirk was running out of steam with the whole VO thing near the end, perhaps that's the reason.

Also played Antonio Testa's Inframundis, which is a good one if you like classic Alio Die.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #745 on: September 02, 2008, 02:32:57 PM »

This morning I have been playing Vidna Obmana's Opera for Four Fusion Works.  Aside from the first act, I had not given this one much in the way of repeated listens.  It is a difficult work at times, especially the middle two sections, but I think I like it on the whole.  If you ask me, the fourth part is way too brief ... just when it's getting started (or so it seems), it's over.  I got the impression Dirk was running out of steam with the whole VO thing near the end, perhaps that's the reason.

Interesting... I'm just the opposite. I never play the first act, it's too darn normal. However, I've listened to the last three dozens of times, and I love 'em!

Now playing:

Saul Stokes- Radiate; I love this disc too. I'm not at all crazy about Saul's rhythmic stuff, but this one and Edge of the Forest is great.

solyaris

« Reply #746 on: September 04, 2008, 06:53:57 AM »
Windy & Carl - Dedications to Flea

solyaris

« Reply #747 on: September 05, 2008, 04:03:28 AM »
Robert Rich and Alio Die: Fissures

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #748 on: September 05, 2008, 07:04:02 AM »
now:

Eno - On Land  - I haven't heard this in at least a decade, maybe two... wonderful

was: 

Budd/Eno - The Pearl  - not sure I've ever heard it - absolutely perfect
Deepchord presents Echospace - The Coldest Season  - oh my oh my oh my this is fantastic

Just got these above three along with a few others in the mail last night... I'm flipping out with great 'new' music!

Eno/Budd - Plateaux of Mirror
Hassell/Eno - Possible Musics
Hassell - Dream Theory in Malaya
Various - Compounds + Elements - intro to All Saints Records (only $3!)

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #749 on: September 05, 2008, 05:39:50 PM »

- Charlie Haden: The Montreal Tapes 2

Some truly wonderful moments in these live trio pieces, especially the piano (Gonzalo Rubalcaba).
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #750 on: September 05, 2008, 05:53:54 PM »
Matthew Sweet - Sunshine Lies (a new one, somewhat disappointing; the songs are there, but the voice sounds a bit ragged and tired)
Ryuichi Sakamoto - Playing the Piano 05 (DVD) (excellent DVD of a 2-hour solo piano performance from 2005)
Todd Rundgren - Todd (I always thought this was one of his best.  Some crazy stuff in there, but some great tunes, too, like "A Dream Goes On Forever")

Forrest

jeff pearce

• View Profile
« Reply #751 on: September 06, 2008, 04:48:59 PM »
Forrest,

I'll have to check out the Sakamoto dvd- I've spent some of the past week listening to "Alexi and the Spring"- quite wonderful soundtrack with a devastating solo piano closer- and it segues nicely into "Dark Intervals" by Keith Jarrett, too.  :)

Jeff

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 06, 2008, 09:19:19 PM »
Jeff,

I think you'll like the Sakamoto DVD, but it's a Region 2 disc.  I found a way to burn a Region free copy so that I could watch it on my Region 1 DVD player, but it was a bit of a hassle.  The piece I really like on the disc is "Parolibre," which I hadn't previously heard in a solo piano version.  It's a amazing how prolific Sakamoto continues to be at his age, pretty good stuff, too.  His "Cendre" CD with Fennesz is worth checking out, too, if you don't mind a little processed guitar glitch with your piano.

Forrest

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #753 on: September 07, 2008, 05:33:07 AM »
Taylor Deupree- Stil; a bit too repetitive, but still very nice & grainy; "Small" music.
Taylor Deupree- Landing; this is beautiful! Should be much longer (Only 20 minutes long).
Disturbed Earth- Island;  subtle and deep landscapes, really absorbing stuff...
Chris Bissonnette- In Between Words; sounds great so far, still digesting it.

Undershadow

« Reply #754 on: September 07, 2008, 08:02:27 AM »

Hey, Joe. Nice currently listening selection, all of which I like, but that one of Bissonnette's is a favourite of mine. Great stuff!

http://www.christopherbissonnette.ca/Christopher_Bissonnette/releases.html

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 07, 2008, 09:49:37 AM »
Hi Alan!

Yes, lately I find myself wandering into glitchy territories and enjoying it very much. 8)

And I think In Between Words is gonna be a frequent player for me.

Undershadow

« Reply #756 on: September 07, 2008, 12:01:30 PM »
Groovy, Joe. Though I'd hardly characterise In Between Words as a 'glitchy' album. Admittedly it does make use of post-digital jiggery pokery, but it's along the lines of much of Kranky's electronica of recent years; i.e. it taps into the drone-zone via microsound/laptop rather than the space-rock/guitar tradition of its early years (cf. Keith Fullerton Whitman, Tim Hecker, Chihei Hatakeyama & Co. vs. Labradford, early SotL, Bowery Electric, et al.)
I find the listening experience in re: In Between Words to be quite a 'smooth' one.

Topic shifting, but still in currently listening mode, if anyone is looking for a nice Throwback to the 90s Namlook/Global Comms/em:t label-ambient type album that's lush and billowy and pillowy but not too fluffy and blousy and overplumped, I've discovered a perfect candidate:

Gel-Sol - IZ

"Andrew Reichel, aka Gel-Sol, has a great ambient work here with "IZ." The tracks are generally drones, but they are not repetitious and never wander on without purpose or sense of meaning. Gel-Sol hits the mark when, on his web site, he calls them "new directions in the orchestral ambient vein.""

short clips here: http://www.properlychilled.com/music/release/profile.php?view=593

Lovely stuff, now playing, and not a glitch in sight.

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #757 on: September 07, 2008, 12:50:56 PM »
trygve seim - sangam [ecm 2004]

area c - sea of rains [2008] - from their website..."an original score for Nasa's "Mission Moon: past, present, future" exhibit at the Museum of Natural History. SEA of RAINS is the resulting 55-minute soundscape, inspired by the names, colors, history and otherworldliness of this still-strange fixture in our sky."

Great Axescapes - an Archaeology of Drone-gaze Tone-haze Guitar-wranglings - I've listened to the first three volumes so far and they are spectacular!  Can't say enough about how good these comps are.  Great job by Alan(Undershadow) on each mix.  I am very jealous, I wish I'd done them.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #758 on: September 07, 2008, 01:42:55 PM »
Groovy, Joe. Though I'd hardly characterise In Between Words as a 'glitchy' album. Admittedly it does make use of post-digital jiggery pokery, but it's along the lines of much of Kranky's electronica of recent years; i.e. it taps into the drone-zone via microsound/laptop rather than the space-rock/guitar tradition of its early years (cf. Keith Fullerton Whitman, Tim Hecker, Chihei Hatakeyama & Co. vs. Labradford, early SotL, Bowery Electric, et al.)
I find the listening experience in re: In Between Words to be quite a 'smooth' one.

I agree, I wouldn't call In Between Words glitchy either. I didn't make myself clear. I was referring to the Taylor Deupree Cds I listed, and other glitchy stuff I've been getting into lately, such as Beta Two Agonist(terrific!), Off the Sky, and yes, even a bit of Fennesz, I daresay.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #759 on: September 08, 2008, 06:57:07 AM »
np

- Off The Sky: Cold Distances

Yeah, I know I released this one, but I've been playing it again recently
(its from back in 04) and totally enjoying it. Its more consistently ambient
than his other releases.
www.dataobscura.com