At the Moment:
Bvdub - Return To Tonglu - Quietus Records
(For the most part the album is solid but not essential. It sounds very similiar to a lot of releases he did for netlabels. I have a feeling this release is going to gather a lot of dust on my CD shelves.)
I'm with you, Fern. I'm listening to it now, and, though I've enjoyed his stuff before, this release sounds almost identical in sound design and mood to his last 5 or 6 4-track eps. The recipe:
- Take some long smears of floaty eroded synths and make them do their wistful swoony major and minor 7ths and 9ths,
- Stir them around and let them sit for a while and wallowing in the melancholy of it all, then
- Programme in some busy thunky kick drum patterns to go clod-hopping around,
- Garnish with the odd minimal bass figure
- Orchestrate it so it moves towards a build-up, but keep cheating the listener by never fully launching into anything, but keep breaking it down again for restatements of those boo-hoo chord swathes.
- let each track go on far longer than it should, for example 12 minutes should be about right
- Mix and serve on Quietus Recordings.