Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 840184 times)

Undershadow

Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #820 on: September 25, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »

More free ambient(dub)techno, and pretty good too:

The Sight Below - No Place For Us (free EP)

"The Sight Below is the ambient club project of Rafael Anton Irisarri, usually known for his post-classical work involving solo piano, glockenspiel and electronics."

Label blurb says, a propos: "On the release—his first for Ghostly—the reclusive, Seattle-based producer smears his waterlogged guitar in broad, oceanic strokes, swirling the haze around his tracks’ tantalizingly subtle electronic beats. It’s a sound that encompasses shoegazers’ obsessive tone layering, ambient’s mood-setting sprawl, and techno music’s horizon-spanning momentum at once. The EP opens with “No Place for Us,” a diamond-studded haze of hiss and pulse that recalls a beat-driven cousin of William Basinski’s Disintegration Loops; from there, “With Her Kiss (I’d Pass The Sky)” sends distant foghorns floating over a tiny kick and hi-hat; and on the melancholy closer “Twice Failed,” the artist preserves time in an ether bottle, all bleary-eyed piano and glinting nostalgia."

RIYL: Yagya, Gas, Echospace

Get it here, if you fancy: http://ghostly.com/releases/no-place-for-us

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #821 on: September 25, 2008, 11:35:15 PM »
Actually Undershadow it was you who introduced me to P. Jorgensen after I read your review of the artist at furthernoise. Your review was convincing and your comparisons were right on point.  It was only after I received the album that it simply faded into the vault of unplayed discs.  If it wasn’t for the current reissue of the Aidan Baker I probably would have never dug it out.

The Ghostly net release was a fine little release….thanks for the head’s up on that.  This forum is a real pleasure when likeminded heads get together to share the finer moments of their listening experience.

Fern

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #822 on: September 25, 2008, 11:38:59 PM »
Forrest,

The Aidan Baker on Small Doses is a real pleasure. When the release first came out it was a relief from all the Black Doom Metal he was releasing with Nadja.  Not that there is anything wrong with that type of music but it was seeping into all of his solo productions and I was beginning to wonder when he would return to the calm Aidan Baker that I liked most.

On another note the Fabio Orsi “One Thousand Years Red” was simply beautiful.  I think he only made 25 copies available?  The release was expensive “$16” for one 6:45 minute song.  But it was one of Fabio’s outright ambient moments.  Good to know that you got yourself a copy of that super limited release because it went out of print within a matter of days.

Fern

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #823 on: September 26, 2008, 08:14:07 AM »
Today I listened to these:

Steve Moore – Vaalbara – Noiseville (LP)
(This is something you are bound to here on Starsend radio and if we don’t someone should tell Chuck Van Zyl about this guy.  I know I have blabbed about this artist on other parts of this forum….but if you like sequencer style music this is right up your alley. Absolutely essential with a 10/10 to boot in my opinion.)

Emeralds/Quintana Roo – Split – Arbor Records (LP)
(Emeralds side is a buzzing baseline with sci-fi effects thrown in at random intervals.  Quintana Roo creates more of a proto ethnic religious dirge.  I really like this release and recommend it to everyone who like’s the noisier experimental side of drone.)

Max Richter – 24 Postcards In Full Colour – 130701
(24 vignettes of modern classical music.  Somewhat similar to Celer’s “Nacreous Clouds” release on and/oar.  Not in the style of music but in the approach.  I don’t know something about this release bugs me……this pale’s in comparison to “Memoryhouse’” or “The Blue Notebooks.” It seems that the album starts well in the beginning but somewhere around the middle of the album I began to yawn and loose interest.  Maybe in a few weeks I will give it another listen. Although I do think Keith Fullerton Whitman puts it better at Mimaroglu music sales:

"of the hordes currently mining the joint modern-classical / ambient-electronic accounts, i’ve long had a soft-spot for mr. richter ; purely for the sheer beauty of his writing ... in spots this reads more like an electronic business card for richter’s immediately apparent marketability within the commercial / music-licensing sector (the terse nature of the individual pieces doesn’t help ; personally i’ve love to hear a few of these pieces in their full-length incarnations) but that’s just something i’m reading into the presentation of the album ; obviously the pieces themselves are beautiful miniatures worthy of a good, hard listen ..."

Fern

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #824 on: September 26, 2008, 10:18:33 AM »
Fern,

I'm a sucker for elaborate packaging, and the packaging for "One Thousand Days Red" is probably one of my favorites, though it probably takes up a little extra space on the shelf because of the teaball.

I'm currently enjoying Ry Cooder's new one, "I, Flathead," which came with a book/novella that Cooder wrote for it.

Forrest

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #825 on: September 27, 2008, 12:39:08 AM »
Robin Guthrie-"3:19" (soundtrack) Perhaps his strongest solo disc to date, gorgeous production and some really great tracks here, some of his best since Cocteau Twins!!

Undershadow

« Reply #826 on: September 27, 2008, 01:18:25 PM »
Actually Undershadow it was you who introduced me to P. Jorgensen after I read your review of the artist at furthernoise. Your review was convincing and your comparisons were right on point.  It was only after I received the album that it simply faded into the vault of unplayed discs.  If it wasn’t for the current reissue of the Aidan Baker I probably would have never dug it out.

The Ghostly net release was a fine little release….thanks for the head’s up on that.  This forum is a real pleasure when likeminded heads get together to share the finer moments of their listening experience.

Fern

Glad you appreciated it, Fern. I'm always pleased to find that someone is not only reading these reviews, but also finding the descriptions/appraisals contained sufficiently 'authoritative' to act upon them. You might be interested to know, since you made mention of him not too long ago, that the artist known as wereju (refer to myspace player here: http://www.myspace.com/werejumusic - I find track no.4 in the player, "The End of Everything" quite beautiful and elegiac in a haunting way) has been in touch with me, following inclusion of an excerpt of his work in a DIY compendium of ambient guitar-dronology I curated. He sent me 4 discs, 3 of his own (Between Nowhere and Goodbye, The End of Everything, and The Gyres), and one by Nils Helstrom (Another Moment for the Memory) on the same label, Electric Requiems. I'll be documenting a response to this stuff fairly soon.

Incidentally, I've just discovered this outlet/website, which seems a good source of music in this vein:
http://www.myownsalvation.com/mailorder/index.htm
http://www.myownsalvation.com/mailorder/catalog.htm

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #827 on: September 27, 2008, 01:43:32 PM »
Love Spirals Downward - Ardor (if you like All My Faith Lost (fabulous!)) you may like this duo as well. On Projekt label.
Katatonia - Live Consternation CD/DVD (we played with them up here in '06 = AWESOME!)
Antimatter - Lights Out (former singer from Anathema and Mick Moss, also Duncan Patterson from Anathema) and it's kinda pink floydish in parts (newer) but it's very mellow/dark in a sense. But an interesting listen.
Solitude Aeturnus - Alone (new release from '06 I finally got, pretty good!) and also got their live DVD.
Vinterriket - DVD long form album release with I guess still pictures for the video. I haven't gotten to this one yet (nor SA's DVD).

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #828 on: September 27, 2008, 06:33:19 PM »
Disturbed Earth - Butterfly - I just started listening to this one.  I was intrigued by the fact that it's from a living room performance from 1977.  Good stuff so far.
Minus Pilots - Central Industries EP - an excellent netlabel release you can find here... http://www.monocromatica.com/netlabel/releases/tube010.htm
Sans Serif - Tones For LaMonte - still digging theses open, organic drones.
Jeff Pearce - Rainshadow Sky - also still digging this absolutely beautiful cd.  I'm sure it's not for everyone here, a bit too pretty for some.  But when I'm in the mood, this is perfect, beautiful music.
the caretaker - recollected memories from the museum of garden history - the caretaker's music always reminds me of some lost soundtrack to The Shining.

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #829 on: September 27, 2008, 11:05:08 PM »
In The Morning:
Steve Roach – The Dream Circle – Soundquest
(Classic Steve Roach 14 years later!)

In The Afternoon:
Monostation – Greyscale E.P  - Smallfish
(It seems as though Monostation takes sandpaper to all the static and grittiness in order to create gleaming drone pieces)

On Now:
Machinefabriek – Dauw – Dekorder
(Listening to the last track at the moment and it seems to be the most beautiful of the bunch.  Very reminiscent of the release he just had on Sentient Cognition Archive.  A lot of people on different forums were hailing this as Machinefabriek’s greatest accomplishment to date.  Doubtful!  Depends on which perspective you evaluate his catalog by I mean he has covered so many genre’s that it is impossible to compare some pieces in his catalog amongst others.)

Fern

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #830 on: September 27, 2008, 11:24:47 PM »
Undershadow,
I actually purchased some stuff from www.myownsalvation.com including some stuff from Wereju about 1 month back or so.  Within that purchase I bought Wereju - Monuments (Which is pretty much deep sea diving drones...but actually melodic and shifting.  I liked it very much) and the one album that left a big impression was "I Am Seamonster - Nebulum | Constellatrix" (If you like Belong.....I am sure you are going to like I Am Seamonster.  Very Very Good!)

Anyhow good luck with the reviews and can't wait to read them!
Fern

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #831 on: September 28, 2008, 09:15:28 AM »
today;

vikki jackman - whispering pages (nice smooth sounds in the vein of Chalk's awesome Time of Hayfield..)

david tagg - fundamentals of orchid biology (another Winner from Mr. Tagg, a definitive 2008 favorite)

ARC - glassine I (from the 'sucking' managing ASP label, however it's a good one, very cool percussion!)

harold budd / clive wright -  a song for lost blossoms (simply beautiful austere music)

sawako / daisuke miyatani - hi bi no me (the more i play this one, the more i like it, all with Sawako's hazy ambience)

celer - nacreous clouds (top nutch stuff, 37 beautiful calming tone poems)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #832 on: September 28, 2008, 03:43:23 PM »
Today
- Biosphere: Patashnik
- Roedelius: Jardin Au Fou  (little gem of an album)
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Undershadow

« Reply #833 on: September 29, 2008, 12:23:12 PM »

At the Moment:
Bvdub - Return To Tonglu - Quietus Records
(For the most part the album is solid but not essential.  It sounds very similiar to a lot of releases he did for netlabels.  I have a feeling this release is going to gather a lot of dust on my CD shelves.)

I'm with you, Fern. I'm listening to it now, and, though I've enjoyed his stuff before, this release sounds almost identical in sound design and mood to his last 5 or 6 4-track eps. The recipe:

- Take some long smears of floaty eroded synths and make them do their wistful swoony major and minor 7ths and 9ths,

- Stir them around and let them sit for a while and wallowing in the melancholy of it all, then

- Programme in some busy thunky kick drum patterns to go clod-hopping around,

- Garnish with the odd minimal bass figure

- Orchestrate it so it moves towards a build-up, but keep cheating the listener by never fully launching into anything, but keep breaking it down again for restatements of those boo-hoo chord swathes.

- let each track go on far longer than it should, for example 12 minutes should be about right

- Mix and serve on Quietus Recordings.

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #834 on: September 29, 2008, 06:02:50 PM »
Thanks to some discussions by forumites, notably the Undershadow, the guitar drone glory of Hakobune is melting my speakers. It's the new album "We Left the Window Open Sometimes" out on the Symbolic Interactions. Wow, and the remixes are quite nice. I'm looking at getting all other Hakobune I can find. Also just received a raft of Sending Orbs material. What honeycomb of treasures it is! Secede's "Vega Libre" is stunningly good, really kicks out from behind its Orb/Kruder and Dorfmeister veneer to deliver some amazing sci-fi lush beaty ambient, capped off by a Tetsu Inoue remix. Oh joy...

Blamstrain is sounding classic as well...check this one out...

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #835 on: September 30, 2008, 02:42:12 AM »
Ryuichi Sakamoto - Undercooled from Playing The Piano
anyone else got this dvd? .... is the packaging always this
"cheap" .... i mean i can barely see the printing on the back
because of the bad resolution .... strange, because the dvd
is marvelous .... great sharp picture and good sound

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #836 on: September 30, 2008, 11:39:49 AM »
Thus far today:

Phenomyna—Unexplained
Redcell/Stasis split CD
Pub—Liltmor
Alio Die & Francesco Paladino—Angel's Fly Souvenir
Tim Hecker—Norberg 3"  (His new one with Aidan Baker sounds great, too.)

Undershadow

« Reply #837 on: September 30, 2008, 01:32:23 PM »

Tim Hecker—Norberg 3"  (His new one with Aidan Baker sounds great, too.)

Hey, Brian, I hadn't heard about this collab. Have you got it/heard it/come across a link to samples somewhere?
I also noted another interesting collaboration in the pipeline while googling around, this one perhaps more obvious:
http://12kblog.wordpress.com/2008/09/17/taylor-deupree-dan-abrams-shuttle358-in-the-studio/

Undershadow

« Reply #838 on: September 30, 2008, 02:27:14 PM »

Thanks to some discussions by forumites, notably the Undershadow, the guitar drone glory of Hakobune is melting my speakers. It's the new album "We Left the Window Open Sometimes" out on the Symbolic Interactions. Wow, and the remixes are quite nice. I'm looking at getting all other Hakobune I can find.

Glad to have been instrumental in this, 9dragons. I particularly like the Jason Sloan remix that closes the album. There are three other Hakobunes to find in order to complete your collection: one full-length (U-cover cd-r), and two 3"s - one on U-cover minidisc, one being a 3" on Forum-ite SiF's Waterscape label.
http://www.discogs.com/release/964219
http://www.discogs.com/release/1015551
http://www.discogs.com/release/1388044

Viniator3

• View Profile
« Reply #839 on: September 30, 2008, 02:48:40 PM »
Andrea Marutti - The Subliminal Relation Between Planets

Holy dang. Just when I though Gel-Sol's "IZ" would dominate my playlist, along comes this on the jukebox. He sounds somewhat like Aglaia's dark side. That's a good thing.