Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 828747 times)

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #100 on: December 25, 2007, 07:27:38 AM »
I think we'll be listening to Christmas with the Rat Pack on the drive to Heidi's mom's to make cappellettis today. 
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #101 on: December 25, 2007, 08:06:58 AM »
xmas morning

- Rudy Adrian: Moonwater

have to keep it innocent ... family over.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 25, 2007, 04:21:28 PM »
Merry Christmas to all celebrators,

Pretty low key around here, but I picked up some nice used cd's at the music store on Christmas eve:

David Parsons- Dorje Ling:  This is my favorite David Parsons that I've heard, very deep and powerful textures.  Makes good use of Tibetan chanting throughout.  Parsons' sound reminds me a little bit of Michael Stearns in a way.  It's macrocosmic ambient music- dramatic at times but always broad and far-reaching.   Dorje Ling makes me want to go hiking in mountains.

Robert Rich -Inner Landscapes:  A little bleak, but not altogether dark ambient though it would make a good companion to an album like Stalker in the cd changer.  Some sort of prehistoric horn-like groans in the first track set the tone for what followed. 

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #103 on: December 25, 2007, 04:34:05 PM »
I've since moved on to a bunch of old 30s songs, and now back with a few Biosphere albums.
Currently

- Shenzhou

Hope people are having fun.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

g.@.b.

« Reply #104 on: December 26, 2007, 03:05:57 PM »
The Winterhouse - Slow Promises

Mmmm...Metallic drifts, haunting drone beds, echoing alien transmission blips and a glitchy synergy throughout.

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2007, 01:45:05 PM »
The new one from Telomere, The Stellar Sea. Yet another soaring floating majestic slice of classic spacemusic played on the mighty Serge and other synths, Chris MacDonald may not be the most prolific artist out there (this is his third release in, I think, 10 years) but if you like old-fashioned spacemusic, a la Stearns, Braheny and demby, he's your best bet, IMO. Probably is unbelievably cool listening on 'phones late at night while stargazing.

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »
Tanakh - In every Villa......
damn, this is brilliant

Ben Fleury-Steiner

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2007, 02:42:37 PM »
Spring Steel by Richard Crandell

Very addictive minimalist kalimba work that have been constantly playing yesterday and today....
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 02:50:24 PM by Ben Fleury-Steiner »

g.@.b.

« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2007, 08:42:51 PM »
This evening:

Robert Rich - Electric Ladder, followed by

Steve Roach - Core

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2007, 03:18:28 PM »
NP

- Van Morrison: Veedon Fleece  (classic)
- Van Morrison: Into The Music (has an amazing last 3 tracks)
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2007, 10:20:08 PM »
Oooh, variety...

Pavement, "Slanted & Inchanted".  Classic, simply classic.  Sloppy, tight, clear, muddy rock-n-roll.  One of the best albums of the 90's, by FAR.
Unrest, "Cath Carroll" promo EP.  Well worth the price of admission for "Hydro", a 30+ minute jam that never lets up.  One of the great lost bands of the nineties, IMO.
Alio Die, "Hidden Spring".  Nice; very murky and foggy, I tried to crank this but it just refuses to be "present"; like a ghost of an album, barely out of reach.
Lost in Translation, "Domestic Bliss".  Saw this guy live back in the 90's, reminded me of Rapoon.  This CD reminds me that I need to do my laundry.  Oh, and shovel my walk...
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2007, 01:21:46 AM »
Great to hear about the new Telomere album, Bill.  I enjoyed the first two very much, though they are very similar sounding.  Kind of what I imagined Michael Stearns would be doing if he hadn't gone into soundtrack work.

I've been enjoying a piano trio double album this week from Alan Pasqua called "Live At Rocco" that features the very nimble Peter Erskine on drums.

Forrest

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2007, 04:17:38 AM »
Rapoon - Ice Whispers
well, a very fine piece ..... the mid section kind of reminds me of something aidan baker could have done .....
there is only one negative fact with the whole cd ..... i think he used this "pan effect" a bit to much

MarkJohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2007, 07:55:08 AM »
- Somnia Podcast 002. Subscribe to the Somnia podcast if you haven't done so already. Check out Evan's posts re: this podcast in the Non-Hypnos Artists section of the forum).

- Tord Gustavsen Trio - Being There. Airy jazz, as recommended by this forum's Joe R (thanks again!)

- Djam Karet - Suspension and Displacement. Trying to get into this album, but not succeeding...

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2007, 09:36:11 AM »
The new one from Telomere, The Stellar Sea. Yet another soaring floating majestic slice of classic spacemusic played on the mighty Serge and other synths, Chris MacDonald may not be the most prolific artist out there (this is his third release in, I think, 10 years) but if you like old-fashioned spacemusic, a la Stearns, Braheny and demby, he's your best bet, IMO. Probably is unbelievably cool listening on 'phones late at night while stargazing.

Thanks for the tip, Bill.  I love Telomere and I'll order this ASAP.   8)

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2007, 11:11:26 AM »
justus by the monkees - pretty cool. new recordings writen and performed by dolenz, nesmith, tork and jones
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Undershadow

« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2007, 11:49:47 AM »
- Somnia Podcast 002. Subscribe to the Somnia podcast if you haven't done so already. Check out Evan's posts re: this podcast in the Non-Hypnos Artists section of the forum).

Hearing the White Rainbow track “Waves” off Somnia’s podcast led me to check back on the Prism Of Eternal Now (Kranky) album it was culled from. Initially I’d dismissed it as a hodgepodge of indie-post-kraut-shoegaze-kitchen sink experimental extravagance (‘tis by sometime Jackie-O-MoFo collaborator, Adam Forkner, so hardly surprising), but thanks to Somnia’s good podding works I find there are at least two tracks to be retrieved and cherished; two tracks that withhold the array of instrument-bashing in favour of long languorous SOTL-cum-Labradford ambient blissouts in that old Kranky spacerock(hold the rock)-drone tradition. The track “April 25th 11.14pm” sits next to “Waves” in this respect, and, listening to its the surrounding trakcs, it’s now apparent that the set throws the listener with its initial indie-gruzzier 4 tracks, the latter 5 making a satisfying homogeneous almost-whole. Since the album comes in at 71 mins overall, there’s actually a very good album in here if you go in at track 5  ;)

g.@.b.

« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2007, 12:35:24 PM »
Just unwrapped the cellophane on...

Sounds of a Universe Overheard
- V/A (Hypnos, 2007)

I'm about halfway through M Peck's brushed metallic landscape, 'Somna'...

Mmmmmmore to follow...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 08:34:57 PM by g.@.b. »

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2007, 07:41:53 PM »
Uaral - Sounds of Pain (FINALLY I have a real copy...took me forever to find it!)
Uaral - Lamentos a Poema Muerto (official debut)

They're from Chile, play doom but use flute, organ, piano acoustic guitars (beautiful stuff here), a variety of vocal styles (growls, screams, black metal, clean, in native tongue and I think some english) but it's really REALLY cool stuff! Beautiful guitar work (classical/acoustic/spanish style). They have a fan page over at myspace where you can check out a couple tracks or so. A real jewel in the rough as first time I listened I didn't really pay a lot of attention, on a burn to CD it was a whole new thing! Floored me!.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #119 on: December 31, 2007, 05:35:24 PM »
New year's eve listening, so far

- Opium: Sympathetic Flying Objects
- Tycho: Sunrise Projector
- Martinez: Solaris

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk