Author Topic: Most disappointing movie from book?  (Read 23805 times)

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
Re: Most disappointing movie from book?
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 12:35:46 PM »
Bradbury's "The Illustrated Man" - the movie is actually funny in it's sheer cheesiness.  Same goes for "Martian Chronicles" and "Something Wicked This Way Comes".  Bradbury is one of my all-time favorite authors, but no one has been able to capture his beautiful sense of wonder, melancholy, terror, and nostalgia on film, not even close.
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 12:42:36 PM »
I thought the version of Fahrenheit 451 directed by Francois Truffaut was a good film, but it had a different feel from the original book.  Kind of similar to the way The Shining was turned into a good film by Kubrick, by discarding the book's feel.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 01:10:13 PM »
Bradbury is one of my all-time favorite authors, but no one has been able to capture his beautiful sense of wonder, melancholy, terror, and nostalgia on film, not even close.

I love Ray Bradbury too, (my dad got me interested in him when I was a kid). I know what you mean about the way he writes, (I love "The Halloween Tree", & I still read it over & over again because it gives me those exact feelings you described)...
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

SunDummy

• View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 01:24:54 PM »
I haven't seen that one yet; I'll give it a go.

Anyone else holding their breath for "Marley and Me", starring Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson?  I have verrry low expectations for this one...  True, the book is not exactly a work of art, but it was a pleasant read...
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

SunDummy

• View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 01:26:03 PM »
I hear you, Lena; Bradbury is the shiz.   :)

www.sundummy.com

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2008, 02:09:06 PM »
I thought the version of Fahrenheit 451 directed by Francois Truffaut was a good film, but it had a different feel from the original book.  Kind of similar to the way The Shining was turned into a good film by Kubrick, by discarding the book's feel.

Yeah, I agree about Fahrenheit 451...Truffaut crafted an almost poetic movie...some shots are just magical and the ending, well, what can you say, as good as an ending can get, IMO. Once Montag gets to the "railroad people" in the woods, well, that part of the movie just gives me goosebumps...The only bad thing about the film were the ridiculous flying whatchamacallits that were chasing Montag...god, they made no attempt at all to hide the wires they were suspended on. Ouch. OTOH, the film had one of Bernard Herrman's best movie scores, IMO.

Oh, back on topic...anyone else think the film of Jurassic Park was really a letdown because, in the book, John Hammond is a total bastard and doesn't even like his grandkids. Turning him into a doting old man, which is what Spielberg did with Attenborough, undercuts a very adult part of the novel. Instead of Hammond being a mean SOB who got what he deserved, he's turned into a "aww, too bad" character instead who we kinda feel sorry for.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 02:11:21 PM by Bill Binkelman »

michael sandler

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2008, 05:49:41 PM »
Another one is "Heaven's Prisoners," James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux novel made into a movie starring Alec Baldwin. The film had some good scenes, but it failed to recreate Burke's sweeping panaorama of glorious southern Lousiana sleaze or Robicheaux's inner agony. That's probably one place a movie can never equal a book, inside a character's head.

I don't think Baldwin was the best choice for Robicheaux either. (Not that I know who would be better so who am I to say  ;))

Mike S

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 05:22:21 AM »
I'm going to have to go against popular public opinion and say I loved Dune.  I wouldn't go so far to say that it is a "good" movie, but I do feel it's unique among science fiction movies in that it created and added to the Dune mystique in a wholly original and quite unusual fashion.  The character and set designs are totally unbelievable in that movie, in some sense making it far more alien and archly futuristic than Herbert did in his own books (though I must confess I could not continue past Children of Dune).  And what a great cast!  I have the longer (it's like three hours) version on the special DVD set and it does fill in a lot of plot stuff they omitted from the theatrical release, though I imagine it's still incomprehensible to those who haven't read the book.  I can only imagine what it would have been like if done by Lynch with total artistic freedom.

And can you imagine if Jodorowsky was able to get funding to do his version?!  It could have destroyed the world.

I also like the Disney Something Wicked This Way Comes....  There's definitely a medium-problem when transferring very atmospheric novels into film; they just don't quite seem to gel.  Though I thought the Truffaut 451 made a valiant attempt.

Excellent book to awful movie?  From Hell!  Don't even get me started on the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 06:27:16 AM »
Actually Brian, I'd say the same thing about Lynch's vesion of Dune.  It's a flawed film and not entirely satisfactory, but I love it and go back to it over and over again.  In fact, it might be among my 10 most-revisited science fiction films.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 07:24:52 AM »
Re- DUNE: Many, many years ago I read that Jodorowsky was planning to have
3 different bands create music for the 3 main planets:
Pink Floyd, Soft Machine and Tangerine Dream.
Damn!

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2008, 08:02:22 AM »
Actually Brian, I'd say the same thing about Lynch's vesion of Dune.  It's a flawed film and not entirely satisfactory, but I love it and go back to it over and over again.  In fact, it might be among my 10 most-revisited science fiction films.

The ultimate test of your mettle:  how do you feel about Flash Gordon (1980)?   :D

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2008, 08:43:37 AM »

The ultimate test of your mettle:  how do you feel about Flash Gordon (1980)?   :D

Oh man.....well, it can be a great movie to watch strictly for grins...but for high camp, I prefer Barbarella. Timothy Dalton and Brian Blessed give it their all...but that Queen soundtrack - argh!

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2008, 08:44:46 AM »
Re- DUNE: Many, many years ago I read that Jodorowsky was planning to have
3 different bands create music for the 3 main planets:
Pink Floyd, Soft Machine and Tangerine Dream.
Damn!

Wow, that would've been something to hear, let alone see. Speaking of PF doing soundtracks, has anyone ever seen the movie they did the sountrack for titled More, I think?

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2008, 08:46:56 AM »
Bradbury's "The Illustrated Man" - the movie is actually funny in it's sheer cheesiness.  Same goes for "Martian Chronicles" and "Something Wicked This Way Comes".  Bradbury is one of my all-time favorite authors, but no one has been able to capture his beautiful sense of wonder, melancholy, terror, and nostalgia on film, not even close.

The TV miniseries of The Martian Chronicles (the original one with Rock Hudson, Darren McGavin, et al.) was really varied as to quality. I remember some episodes being quite good and some sucking the big one. If I remember, the last part was pretty good, but man. it's been ages since I saw it.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2008, 09:02:09 AM »

I love that film, think it's a ton of fun, and even like the soundtrack.

Also, this film was constantly on HBO right around the time we first signed up for it, so I think I watched this (and Fast Times at Ridgemont High, and Porky's, and Cat People, and Caddy Shack, and American Flyers) dozens of times over a period of a few months.

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2008, 09:48:27 AM »

And can you imagine if Jodorowsky was able to get funding to do his version?! 

Oh my GOSH!  :o That would have been CRAZY...
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2008, 10:50:15 AM »

I love that film, think it's a ton of fun, and even like the soundtrack.

Also, this film was constantly on HBO right around the time we first signed up for it, so I think I watched this (and Fast Times at Ridgemont High, and Porky's, and Cat People, and Caddy Shack, and American Flyers) dozens of times over a period of a few months.

Man, I'm shocked that I'm not the only person who has seen American Flyers! It's one of my personal faves (own the DVD) since some of the movie was filmed in Wisconsin plus it has some amazing bicycle race scenes (filmed at the Coors Classic, re-named for the film "Hell of the West")...and a solid soundtrack by jazz guitarist Lee Ritenour. Schmaltzy and feel-good but still an enjoyable movie, IMO.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2008, 01:14:34 PM »
My brother and our friend Bill and I watched American Flyers dozens of times, and at the time we were all bike racing and doing triathlons and duathlons (which were called biathlons back then, until someone figured out there was already a sport with that name) so we took a lot of motivation from watching Marcus and David and the Cannibal!

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2008, 07:59:46 PM »
DUNE

What?!?!?!? Are you SOFT in the head? The remake I thought was a letdown in a sense. I didn't care that much for kyle's replacement character. Now his sister was HOT in both Dune remake and the 2nd one. Also the guy who played Patrick Stewarts part in the remake was BORING IMHO...he's done better, he was just WOODEN IMHO. I thought the Lynch version was great, a lot of dialogue/monologue but  but the extended version was the one to watch. I did (and still do) enjoy it.

One that would have to be done like LotR's is Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant, the unbeliever series. FANTASTIC story! I've read it at least 3 times. I have 2 of the final chronicles in hardback (like the original series). That would be a hard pressed movie to translate.

One that I thought was a very good/close translation was an old 80's flick - Dead and Buried. Read book, found and watched movie and was like WOW! Just like the book! LOL.

But Dune isn't that bad. I've never read the books though so I can't compare them. I may look for them in hardback some time. Love it due to patrick stewart, kyle, his fathers character and his mom (HOT back then! ;-) ).

But the remake I thought could have been better (harkonen(sp) dude was waaaaaaaaaay better in lynch's IMHO).

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2008, 08:01:40 PM »

MAJOR cheese, gimme Flesh Gordon instead! ;-) or Frankenhooker!