Author Topic: New Jeff Pearce CD: Rainshadow Sky  (Read 5452 times)

Bill Binkelman

New Jeff Pearce CD: Rainshadow Sky
« on: August 28, 2008, 01:42:55 PM »
Jeff was kind enough to forward me a pre-release copy of this album which is a live (no overdubs, no post-concert editing) recording from a series of living room concerts. It should hit CDBaby (per Jeff) in a day or two and is already listed at amazon.com. If you liked Lingering Light, you will certainly enjoy this album. Playing only Chapman Stick and using reverb, sustain, and echo (from what I can tell), Jeff once again makes musical magic. Less overtly melancholic than Lingering Light, Rainshadow Sky mixes up things a little, although this is still very much a "quiet" album. Comprised of almost all never before released songs (with two exceptions), this is a recording to savor over and over, time and again. Unlike Lingering Light, there is also a more overtly textural piece, "Harvest Storms," which sounds like it's from the Daylight Slowly era (remarkably, it was still played only on Stick, but it sounds nothing like all the other songs here, with deep rumbling drones and washes of melody). While nothing here is what I would call "cheery" or "upbeat," there is an undeniable variety of emotions evoked. Finally, I have to say that the cover image is among the most beautiful I have ever seen grace a CD..no hyperbole folks, I want this on my living room wall. Dark grey storm clouds over a vast prairie of what appears to be pale golden wheat...mesmerizing to look at (see below).

I love this album! And to think it's live...recorded in living rooms...and nothing else. Remarkable!

One last thing: Be on the lookout for an interview I just wrapped with Jeff which will appear at New Age Reporter sometime in the (hopefully) near future.

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
Re: New Jeff Pearce CD: Rainshadow Sky
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 08:06:43 PM »
Bill,

Thanks for the heads up.  I just ordered a copy from Amazon.

Thanks

Scott Raymond

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 03:22:12 PM »
  I'll second Bill's review of this album, with one slight alteration. There actually isn't a lot of reverb on this album, according to Jeff. Kind of a first for him, really. Then again, a live album is kind of a first for him, too. This is a great album. Much in the same vein as Lingering Light, though there's the one ambient track. Well worth picking up.

Scott Raymond
WVKR-FM

Scott Raymond
WVKR-FM
16 Penn St.
Fishkill, NY 12524
newage@secretmusic.net

jeff pearce

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 05:14:35 PM »
I'd like to thank Bill for making the initial post about the new cd, and Dave and Scott for the follow-ups.  It took cdbaby a few days, but they have "Rainshadow Sky" up, and if you wish, you can check out soundclips of the new cd at http://cdbaby.com/cd/pearcejeff2/from/jeffpearce

Jeff

solyaris

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 04:01:14 AM »
Welcome back Jeff!

Clips of your new soft-swinging ballads I listened, are definitively relaxing for me.
Thanks for your music!

( visit also: http://www.myspace.com/jeffpearcemusic )

giorgio

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 04:28:35 PM »
I am listening to this for the first time as I type this.  So far...abso-freakin-lutley beautiful!