Author Topic: Prophet 08  (Read 10715 times)

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
Prophet 08
« on: August 29, 2008, 07:39:06 PM »
I'm thinking of getting a Prophet 08.  Any experienced users out there?  Also, I'm thinking of getting the rackmount version, as the keyboard on the 08 is hideous.

Listen to deepspace here: http://deepspacehome.com

hdibrell

• View Profile
Re: Prophet 08
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 09:55:43 PM »
I was serious about getting a P08 as well.  I owned a Prophet 5 at one time and loved it. I started having too many problems with it , so I decided to sell it. I have always regretted that. I have been going to a local music store recently and playing on a Prophet 08 a bit. I must say, I am underwhelmed. It just doesn't excite me like the P5 did. It does so much more, but the hair on the back of my neck doesn't stand up like it usually does playing a great analog synth. I want it to, but it doesn't. I own a Yamaha CS-50 and it moves me. The Prophet 08 doesn't. Just my $.02 . You need to try it yourself if you can. We all have different tastes.  :) Hope this helps.   Harry
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 04:28:05 PM »
I should clarify what I said a little. I didn't hate the P08 , I just wasn't excited by it, especially for the price. If I found a used one at a really good price I would probably be tempted. You are correct about the keyboard, it isn't very good. The desktop or rackmount would be the way to go. I have a DSI Evolver and like that. I've never tried a Polyevolver, but would like to. Anyway, if you can, you need to spend some time with one. You may love it.      Harry

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 04:39:35 PM »
I have one and love it! Not sure what else to say. It is one of only 4 synths I now own. I whittled down my collection to 4 that I really liked and wanted to dive deep into.

I would say, I don't love it as much as my Moog Voayger, but it is a close second.

You really need to move past the presets though, as they are...underwelming.

I have a cd coming out soon (Atmoworks) of a live performance which features the P8 prominantly.

Paul
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 09:47:08 PM »
You really need to move past the presets though, as they are...underwelming.
Good point. I really should have mentioned that in my post. I was in a music store. We all know that is not the ideal situation. I was only tweaking the presets, not programming my own sounds.     Harry

MarkM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 07:46:02 AM »
A friend of mine got one recently, and I had a chance to fool around with it. Basically I was underwhelmed.  It seemed a bit thin overall, but there were many features I liked such as the arp and sequencer.  The stacking of the two layers is another nice feature, as compared to my mono Voyager.  The wiggly encoders seemed weak, but are a minor issue.  It seemed like the encoders were too sensitive when it came to selecting the oscillators' waves.  Perhaps if I spent more time with it I would appreciate the 08 more.  However, when you figure in the price/performance ratio, for an analogue synth, the 08 seems worth it.

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 02:49:28 PM »
Good enough for a main synth?  or as an extra?  I'm looking for a big beast to take the strain off my cpu, also to further study synthesis.

modulator_esp

• the lost tribe of Em
    • View Profile
    • Modulator ESP
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 04:22:14 AM »
For a main synth, the P '08's lack of multi-timbrality might be a problem.

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 04:59:23 AM »
What would you suggest I look at for a main synth?  Apart from the andromeda, which is my first choice, but seems to be impossible to get, outside of waiting till January 2009.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 01:13:48 PM »
I think I would be tempted to wait for the Andromeda or look for a used one. They come around every once in awhile for about $2000. After playing on one extensively. I ordered one. Unfortunately that was right as they took bankruptcy. It took me almost a year to get my money back. I never seem to have enough money when a great deal comes around. :(   I should start saving for January 09 now. That is good news that they will be available again. It is a really deep and great sounding synth IMHO.    Harry

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 01:32:29 PM »
I don't own an Andromeda, but I played it for quite some time in a store and thought it every bit as good as anything else I've heard. Beautiful rich sound. I'd love one too. Yep, they do appear on eBay, but rarely.

Mirko: must the synth you are looking for be analog ?   The new Virus range is remarkable.

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 02:50:18 PM »
I do want an analog synth to complement the digital sounds that I have right now.    I feel like I need more analog in my mix.

I just know that whenever I record a non-digital instrument, it just sits in a different place in the mix-  I think when a lot of people say that digital can replicate or even replace analog , they mean that it 'sounds' like it, but i find that it just doesn't sit in the same place in the mix.  I was comparing the sound of my real piano to some software pianos, and even though the software piano sounded technically better, clearer and I would even say more like a recorded piano note for note, but when it came to recording it, the digital piano sat too close, if you know what I mean, and the real piano was further back- it's kind of hard to explain, and probably also due to the condensor mic that I was using.  Anyway, I don't think an analog synth will make as much difference as that, but as a guitarist, I know the difference between the sound of a valve amp and a transistor one, and this is the same really isn't it.   

modulator_esp

• the lost tribe of Em
    • View Profile
    • Modulator ESP
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 04:56:44 PM »
What would you suggest I look at for a main synth?  Apart from the andromeda, which is my first choice, but seems to be impossible to get, outside of waiting till January 2009.

the andromeda seems to be the best choice, and would seem to have much greater depths than the P '08

I wanted something analogue, multi-timbral, with lots of depth. The only other thing I was considering before I found my friend was selling his A6, was a PolyEvolver

Its limited polyphony may not suit you, but it's also a very powerful synth.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 09:26:48 PM »
I know it's probably not what you are looking for, but have you considered a modular. They are dinosaurs and very inefficient, but there is something very rewarding in playing one. Of course, they are basically monophonic. That may not suit your needs at all. I have a Synthesizers.com modular with additional MOTM, Blacet and DIY modules. It is an awesome beast which gives me a lot of gratification as well as kicking my ass when I think I know what I'm doing. You talked about wanting to learn more about synthesis. Well, I don't think there is a better way to do this. Of course , it may not be right for you. And, as any modular owner will warn you , it is addicting.     Harry

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 03:41:43 AM »
I am now the proud owner of a prophet 08.  I got one for $2,500 AU (which is about $2,100 US) from a local shop, so I didn't have to order it from overseas myself.  I am very, very happy- the sound is just beautiful, crisp and very fat.  I'm going to spend a good bit of time getting my head around it.  So far, it seems to have been designed in a really intuitive way, and I'm very happy about that.  Ok, back to the fat sounds. 

modulator_esp

• the lost tribe of Em
    • View Profile
    • Modulator ESP
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 08:22:14 AM »
congrats - I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 09:11:55 AM »
Aye, its great to have some new piece of gear to mess with ... even if it is only analog  ;)

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 09:17:55 PM »
That's great!! I am glad you like it. It is always kind of weird to recommend or not recommend an instrument. It is personal how you connect with it. I'm looking forward to hearing some great music from you.   8)     Harry

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 07:09:28 AM »
Congrats on the new synth!
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 03:05:30 PM »
Mmmmmmm... synth.   :-*