Author Topic: Recording fee advice needed asap  (Read 3372 times)

Seren

• View Profile
Recording fee advice needed asap
« on: September 02, 2008, 02:08:47 AM »
A friend of mine is writing a book. It is being self published and financed by someone she knows, but I don't.

They want a CD and have asked me to give them a cost (ASAP) for
A) just my friend speaking and
B) Friend speaking with some music or field recordings in the background.

They are only printing 100 - but there is the possibility of a major publisher picking it up.

The finance guy wants to pay me a one off fee for the recording - no future royalties. I have no experience of charging for time so would like advice on
1 - hourly rates for recording time
2 - one off fee on top for just vocal CD
2 - one off fee on top if I include music or field recordings.

Thanks guys....

PS I'm trying to juggle doing something with a friend which may get my name out there in a different field and getting a proper payment for something that may get printed a million times in the future.....

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
Re: Recording fee advice needed asap
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 12:19:51 PM »
The finance guy wants to pay me a one off fee for the recording - no future royalties. I have no experience of charging for time so would like advice on
1 - hourly rates for recording time

I would charge at least $40 an hour.

2 - one off fee on top for just vocal CD
That depends upon how long the project is and how involved and how close you are to the client. Remember its your time so what is your time worth?

2 - one off fee on top if I include music or field recordings.

Obviously more, figure out what your music is worth to you to charge.

Other things, if you are writing the music then its your music, he gets no publishing rights. Music license should be non exclusive and only for self publishing, it should be open ended in case a larger publisher does pick up the book. Also, don't give the money man a choice about fees, I'm sure he would like to pay as little as possible, he'd like it even more if you paid him!  :P

Don't thing about the "potential" of the book, it hasn't happened yet. Just make sure you get properly compensated for your time.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 01:56:42 AM »

Don't thing about the "potential" of the book, it hasn't happened yet. Just make sure you get properly compensated for your time.

Thanks Loren, I got some interesting answers to this on SOS forum. "We charge about 650 per minute of music we write, record and produce at my company. It's buyout and single use. If it's ownership and multiuse, considerably more. Cost goes down for large projects - just finished one that took us a year (whilst doing other things) and cost the client 112K."  :o :o :o - that would make a 60 minute CD 39000.....and they don't appear to have a shortage of clients either.

I'm no longer thinking about royalties from future prints, again from SOS - "The one thing i've learned (learnt !!) over the years is to NOT hold out for royalties. Invariably when it comes down to it - the new publisher won't want to pay them or the old client will suddenly realize the headache involved. then there is re-use etc etc. I prefer loaded, in advance fees. When I quote for work I quote for the minutes and then lump a buyout on top of it."

That the project is for a good friend (not the money man) makes it more complicated as I'd like to keep costs down to give her book the best chance but I am not going to give my time away either. The money man did mention one million as a possible future print - at even one penny a print that would be 10,000................ :-\

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 08:31:23 AM »
The fees you would charge a large commercial client, especially once you're more established, might be very different from the fees you would charge an independent or DIY kind of client, especially when you're just starting out.

If they're talking about making HUGE numbers of products, though, then this isn't really a indie or DIY sort of project.  They could be talking out their asses, though.  Still, if they're saying "We might produce a million of these" then you have the right to quote accordingly. If they choke on the quote you give them, then that means they're not really anticipating that kind of success.  The problem with taking only a small "per copy" royalty rate, and nothing up front, is that if they only sell those hundred copies, you'd get almost nothing. 

It would be crazy for you to count on a big publisher picking it up... if big publishers were so interested, they wouldn't be doing this self-published thing in the first place.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 09:48:53 AM »
The money man did mention one million as a possible future print - at even one penny a print that would be 10,000................ :-\

The money man is blowing a bunch of smoke. I'd say "oh in that case my fee is $100,000" and see what he says. The only million selling books here are on Oprah.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 05:17:14 AM »
The money man did mention one million as a possible future print - at even one penny a print that would be 10,000................ :-\

The money man is blowing a bunch of smoke. I'd say "oh in that case my fee is $100,000" and see what he says. The only million selling books here are on Oprah.

I know he's playing the game..........can I be bothered to play back is the question?

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 01:43:09 PM »
From what the scope of your work sounds like, I would charge somewhere around $600.00 USD (again, depending on how much time you really are putting into it) and add a note to the contract that states if the book is picked up by a major publisher and goes to print beyond the 100 copies then fees for use of the material shall be renegotiated at that time.

As Mike says, if this is a true DIY project and you really think it could take off then you would want to stay on good terms with a reasonable low rate where everyone is happy and then hope they keep you on-board for the big pressing.

J.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 05:10:06 AM »
Mike - "Still, if they're saying "We might produce a million of these" then you have the right to quote accordingly. If they choke on the quote you give them, then that means they're not really anticipating that kind of success.  The problem with taking only a small "per copy" royalty rate, and nothing up front, is that if they only sell those hundred copies, you'd get almost nothing. 

It would be crazy for you to count on a big publisher picking it up... if big publishers were so interested, they wouldn't be doing this self-published thing in the first place."

I'm not counting on a big publisher picking it up and I suspect a quote based on really letting him have the full rights to the result will make him choke. But I'm not prepared to just give away my time and effort so will be giving a quote when next asked.

Numina - "As Mike says, if this is a true DIY project and you really think it could take off then you would want to stay on good terms with a reasonable low rate where everyone is happy and then hope they keep you on-board for the big pressing".

That would be my preference, but the money man has already said he just wants the rights and no later legal issues.....so again he'll get the quote - with the 650 a minute figure thrown in to begin with ;D

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 09:58:15 AM »
That would be my preference, but the money man has already said he just wants the rights and no later legal issues.....so again he'll get the quote - with the 650 a minute figure thrown in to begin with ;D

I think that amount for a buy out is way too low. The last buy out I did I got around $2000 for 10 minutes of music, and that was ten years ago. Don't give up your music for peanuts, if he wants to pay next to nothing then he should get next to nothing. At that price he should only get the right to use your music with the book only if it stays diy, and no copywrite ownership period. 
Take care.

- Loren Nerell