Author Topic: Speaking of ECM  (Read 2260 times)

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
Speaking of ECM
« on: September 02, 2008, 01:38:37 PM »
I just noticed at my local store that there are mini-vinyl replica CD issues of Bill Frisell's "Lookout for Hope" and Pat Metheny's "American Garage". They are put out by ECM at $12.00 yet I see no reference to this on their site.

Anyone else come across these?

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
Re: Speaking of ECM
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 07:05:13 PM »
I just noticed at my local store that there are mini-vinyl replica CD issues of Bill Frisell's "Lookout for Hope" and Pat Metheny's "American Garage". They are put out by ECM at $12.00 yet I see no reference to this on their site.

Ah, at last, from the ECM site (though the extent of the rerelease program is unclear):

Touchstones

Great music and full-dimensional sound at download price, cardboard covers with original artwork: 40 popular titles from ECM’s almost four decades offer aficionados the opportunity to plug gaps in their collections and invite new listeners to explore one of the great catalogues in jazz. Touchstones give low-threshold access to a label which, according to the New York Times, provides “one current ideal of contemplative improvised music”. The first forty titles underline the breadth of the artistic spectrum. They revisit debut ECM sessions of Tomasz Stanko, Enrico Rava, Kenny Wheeler, and Dino Saluzzi, and there is also an emphasis on North American jazz – with influential recordings by Keith Jarrett, Chick Corea, Paul Bley, Pat Metheny, John Abercrombie, Lester Bowie and more. Touchstones and milestones all over…

The first 20 titles are available now. Another 20 albums will be available end of October 2008. Please click one of the titles at the left to get more album information and to order directly from the ECM Webshop

Or you could save yourself a bundle - after they've been imported to the US - and buy them for less through abcd.com

Uh oh...how many times have we bought some of these?  ;)

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 06:46:06 PM »
Just a quick note regarding this series: I've bought 6 from different sources and the quality of disc manufacture is well below industry standards. Haven't found playback problems but every disc is sloppily made.

It's really disappointing. The only nice part about it is the reproductions of the covers being more LP-like. The sales pitch that it's "full dimensional sound" just means that a hack with a marketing degree found another way to simply state that CDs are not MP3s.

I compared the two "Solstice" discs and the old German-made one makes the new one look like corners were cut at the pressing plant. The round silver part is actually ragged at the outer edge within the plastic casing! And some of them look like the plastic casing has drips in it!

Again, I don't think there are playback problems but be warned. Of course, ECM make it impossible to contact them over this...unless I'm missing a link on the site.

Not sure why they released this series in the first place. Typically half-baked approach. Meanwhile, Universal Canada typically fails to get new ECM discs like Arve Henriksen's Cartography into HMV in time for the X-mas retail season. All proof that the record industry desperately wants to keep failing.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 11:43:04 AM by Mark Mushet »

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 06:47:48 PM »
I agree, Mark.  That's kind of lame for any label, much less one like ECM.  I guess this is their version of a minimal frills, mid-line priced album.

Forrest

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 11:22:58 AM »
I agree, Mark.  That's kind of lame for any label, much less one like ECM.  I guess this is their version of a minimal frills, mid-line priced album.

Forrest

All they needed to do was keep the disc mfg standards to normal levels and maybe put them in a mini-sleeve and they'd be great. And they might have given some clues as to which releases they are planning to put out this way. The cover repros are very good though.