Author Topic: Touch me, touch me now  (Read 2649 times)

Infraction

• View Profile
Touch me, touch me now
« on: September 03, 2008, 05:23:57 PM »

foggy:

http://www.touchmusic.org.uk/catalogue/tone_31_lawrence_english_kiri.html

When did Touch become ECM   :)

Jason
infractionrecords.com

Somewhat later than Sony, I'd guess. But Wozencroft is of a generation that can't help but be influenced by ECM. Is anyone else as tired as I am of photos of skies and beaches and clouds and shells and ________?

At first glance I'd say this resembles the ECM LP "Dansere" from, what, 1975? Maybe riffing a bit on "Dis" by Towner/Garbarek? I love looking at mists and nature but really, its time for artists and labels to move on.

The Pjusk release on 12k is a nice photographic turn on an urban quasi-pastoral scene. It's a top down view of a leafless tree obviously viewed from an apartment on a grey day. It avoids the deathless romantic nature/weather view while still hinting at the kind of connections referred to in the Artforum piece Alan linked to. 

I felt like being a moderator, so I moved the chatter about post-ECM artwork here.

Hope I'm not stepping on Mike or Lena's feet  :D

I was thinking of "Dis" too.  It's as pedestrian as any of the ECM covers, but it sticks out in my mind.  Maybe that's the brilliance
of it that I'm overlooking.

I've always liked Wozencraft's cheap camera shots with contrasting font colors aesthetic.  There's an element of running in circles I suppose, but what he's crafted from that has been interesting.  To me at least. 

Agreed about the Pjusk cover too...the feeling is there without being totally thrust into *that* view.

Jason
infractionrecords.com

onnow : MV / EE - Ragas & Blues

Undershadow

Re: Touch me, touch me now
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 11:20:41 PM »
I don't mind Wozencroft's cover, but I don't think, semiotically speaking, it represents the sound or concept as articulated by English. As Mark suggests, there are already more than enough neo-romanticist oceanic/marine images on ambient/soundscape albums to have made it a cliche of the genre. Given that the keynote of Kiri No Oto is fog, if one were to look for a more direct iconic or indexical 'sign', then something more like this kind of image might work better (perhaps passing on the ghoulie'n'ghosty figures):

Taking the Pjusk as a sample of a proposed 'different view':

I don't think Deupree's 12k aesthetic, strong as it is, would be particularly well-suited* to the sonorities of the release under discussion, especially with the enhanced clarity and clean-lined almost hyper-realism of the visual imagery
(*n.b. not that I think it was being proposed by either Mark or Jason for specific deployment here... more as part of a general exploration of views on the linkage of differing styles of 'visual art' to 'sound art').
Here's another example, this on the Line sublabel, but still in um... line with the 12k 'look'n'feel':

Too stark. Too clear. Too well-defined.
More blurring required. More out of focus, or melt/fade-type stuff would be in order.
This Line design, however, might fit the bill:

On balance, I think something like this that's a sort of modulated naturalistic representation bleeding into abstraction would be what I'd be looking for if I were the artist being consulted re: the Touch-ing up of my sound work.

Now the Label Supremo who ideated/authorised this one was more in tune with suggestive sound-visual linkages:

;)

« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 12:04:57 AM by Undershadow »

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 12:13:23 AM »
As much as I like to look at pretty pictures on cover art, often I find that the images just don't suit the music at all.  Music is so visual and also personal, in that people think of different imagery when hearing a piece of music.  The artist/photographer is juxtaposing his/her own visual ideas on something you might see quite differently, and sometimes I find the cover art "ruins" it in a sense and I wish I hadn't seen anything preconceived to associate with the music. 

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 02:47:37 AM »
I find a similar thing can be caused by titles. When I was recording in my youth I never titled anything, prefering to allow people's imagination to have free reign. But if we all released all our music without titles or covers it could get quite confusing ;D

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 12:00:58 PM »
Alan wrote: "Now the Label Supremo who ideated/authorised this one was more in tune with suggestive sound-visual linkages:"

Hmmm. Dunno. Looks like my cover for A. Produce's Smile on the Void! But, um, sideways!

;)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 12:02:54 PM by Mark Mushet »

Infraction

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 02:46:03 PM »
I find a similar thing can be caused by titles. When I was recording in my youth I never titled anything, prefering to allow people's imagination to have free reign. But if we all released all our music without titles or covers it could get quite confusing ;D

Sort of like bins upon bins of Francisco Lopez discs.  :)

Jason
infractionrecords.com

Infraction

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 02:49:54 PM »
Alan wrote: "Now the Label Supremo who ideated/authorised this one was more in tune with suggestive sound-visual linkages:"

Hmmm. Dunno. Looks like my cover for A. Produce's Smile on the Void! But, um, sideways!

;)

It does.  There it is in plain whooshy amber, oranges and siennas. 

I just wanted to comment that yes, I authorized it - but given the circumstances of being involved with reissuing
an Aloof Proof piece?!  It could've looked like an Iron Maiden cover and I would've said "Yes, that goes with our aesthetic
and it looks great!"

Jason
infractionrecords.com

Onnow : Blonde Redhead - 23

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 03:02:52 PM »
I was so glad to see Piano Text reissued (and finally get a chance to hear it) that I didn't have a problem with the similarities between the covers, which I noticed too at the time.  It doesn't strike me as an imitation of the Smile on the Void cover, just similar-looking.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 04:21:14 PM »

It does.  There it is in plain whooshy amber, oranges and siennas. 

Actually, it'd look even more similar because the image should be the other way up! Barry and I discussed that at the time. I originally wanted it vertical but it works either way.

Here's a new one for a release by David Berezan:

(BTW the image doesn't show up if I'm not logged in. Not sure what others are or aren't seeing)

« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 04:29:51 PM by Mark Mushet »