Author Topic: Is Yanni really all that bad?  (Read 31177 times)

judd stephens

• View Profile
Re: Is Yanni really all that bad?
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2008, 02:28:45 PM »
I don't agree with trashing him with insults, but light-hearted teasing, in my mind is not wrong.  Some people actually like David Hasselhoff's music.  Why argue with them?  They're already beyond help ;)

And don't worry.  I already know Yanni doesn't threaten the Roach's or the Rich's ;D

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2008, 02:38:10 PM »
Optimystique reminds me of the music that they use on education programmes for kids, usually about science.  I thought I was rather cute actually.  So it's dated, but I've heard far worse.  

I think this whole post was a big piece of bait...to see whether people would bite.  
So some passionate people got offended at the idea of someone who 'markets' their music in this way.  Passionate musicians are allowed to be a little proud sometimes, and are allowed to sometimes heap scorn upon what they see as over-cooked.  Especially ambient musicians, who tend to worship subtlety.  God knows they pay out on each other enough anyway.  

This thread has been a bit like going into a gathering of scientists and saying "so, that evolution stuff really ain't so bad is it."   You're going to get some strong reactions.  Not, "oh yeah, it's nice isn't it." :)

....I think we've all learned something here.  coughs.

It's time to quote some Depeche Mode:  "Yanni is Yanni, so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully."

So yeah, um, there.

MarkM

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2008, 03:05:47 PM »
Well put, Deep.

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2008, 08:18:19 PM »
So some passionate people got offended at the idea of someone who 'markets' their music in this way.  Passionate musicians are allowed to be a little proud sometimes, and are allowed to sometimes heap scorn upon what they see as over-cooked.  Especially ambient musicians, who tend to worship subtlety.  God knows they pay out on each other enough anyway

Perhaps it is just a little too tempting and too easy to rip on certain music. But I'm a non-musician, so perhaps I feel a little more leeway to get wild. I am speaking as a fan of ambient, and, yes, someone who is open to New Age music as well. So when I give my opinion, it is directed specifically at this artist, not New Age in general. I remember when I first discovered what ambient and New Age were, when catching Hearts of Space randomly on the radio, years back. I remember having that stigma of "oh, this is that new age stuff" but it turned out that I enjoyed it very much, and kept listening, and it led me to a whole new world of music. But when it comes to Yanni, I really feel that the music itself is simply poorly made. I don't feel it was "good at the time" it first came out, it may have even contributed to the bad name New Age got later on. And although the leonine mane and the studly moustache and the beefcake image are kind of funny, I wouldn't judge a musician on that. Nor on the marketing strategy, or the success, or whatever. It is just the music. I was fully ready, and actually excited to get into Optimystique. As I got ready to listen to those samples, I was even thinking, "wow, I may even have to get this if it is good". But really, really, I honestly thought it was just terribly bad music, and I was trying hard to be as objective as possible. I can understand the reluctance of the ambient musicians here to pick on one of your own, and why you might see it as ungentlemanly, so I can respect that. But others shouldn't shy away from expressing opinions freely, even if it does get a bit harsh. As someone who does visual art, I know the pitfalls (and pleasures) of ripping on someone in the same field. Because you know, if you got to the same level, or were clever enough to get as popular as the big ones, you'd take the chance. Thomas Kinkaid is a good example of a Yanni type person in the visual arts. Obscenely successful, totally schlocky, hacked out art, but the guy must have had undeniable skill at some point. But maybe these success stories show skill in finding exactly what the public wants and tailoring to their needs, and making totally digestible product easily available. But that is a separate skill itself, from being an interesting or great artist. I guess it means to never underestimate the business end...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 08:27:03 PM by 9dragons »

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2008, 08:45:56 PM »
I don't have any strong views about Yanni, but as a listener, it does make me think that each of us has artists/groups that we listen to and like as guilty pleasures, but cannot really defend as "great" music.  I'll admit that I'll occasionally pull out my copy of Jean Michel Jarre's "Oxygene," and enjoy it for what it is.

Forrest

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2008, 11:17:47 PM »
When I listen to Oxygene, I think "wow, this guy was doing something new and amazing" and it was really ahead of it's time.  It has that rough feel- nothing is quantised, and everything is played in as audio, and there's something exciting and wonderful about that.  Jarre is a different kettle of fish altogether I would say.  So his later stuff is not as inspiring, but his early stuff certainly is, to me at least.

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2008, 02:33:51 AM »
So some passionate people got offended at the idea of someone who 'markets' their music in this way.  Passionate musicians are allowed to be a little proud sometimes, and are allowed to sometimes heap scorn upon what they see as over-cooked.  Especially ambient musicians, who tend to worship subtlety.  God knows they pay out on each other enough anyway

Perhaps it is just a little too tempting and too easy to rip on certain music. But I'm a non-musician, so perhaps I feel a little more leeway to get wild. I am speaking as a fan of ambient, and, yes, someone who is open to New Age music as well. So when I give my opinion, it is directed specifically at this artist, not New Age in general. I remember when I first discovered what ambient and New Age were, when catching Hearts of Space randomly on the radio, years back. I remember having that stigma of "oh, this is that new age stuff" but it turned out that I enjoyed it very much, and kept listening, and it led me to a whole new world of music. But when it comes to Yanni, I really feel that the music itself is simply poorly made. I don't feel it was "good at the time" it first came out, it may have even contributed to the bad name New Age got later on. And although the leonine mane and the studly moustache and the beefcake image are kind of funny, I wouldn't judge a musician on that. Nor on the marketing strategy, or the success, or whatever. It is just the music. I was fully ready, and actually excited to get into Optimystique. As I got ready to listen to those samples, I was even thinking, "wow, I may even have to get this if it is good". But really, really, I honestly thought it was just terribly bad music, and I was trying hard to be as objective as possible. I can understand the reluctance of the ambient musicians here to pick on one of your own, and why you might see it as ungentlemanly, so I can respect that. But others shouldn't shy away from expressing opinions freely, even if it does get a bit harsh. As someone who does visual art, I know the pitfalls (and pleasures) of ripping on someone in the same field. Because you know, if you got to the same level, or were clever enough to get as popular as the big ones, you'd take the chance. Thomas Kinkaid is a good example of a Yanni type person in the visual arts. Obscenely successful, totally schlocky, hacked out art, but the guy must have had undeniable skill at some point. But maybe these success stories show skill in finding exactly what the public wants and tailoring to their needs, and making totally digestible product easily available. But that is a separate skill itself, from being an interesting or great artist. I guess it means to never underestimate the business end...

Yes, I agree with your point also-  It is very easy to rip into music that represents the antithesis of what you do (or maybe not the antithesis, but something that sits a little TOO close to what you do, yet violates some crucial genre rules, and could be confused as being part of YOUR genre by the less aquainted, casual listener....).  And as long as the party concerned is aware of that (I think most people here would be) then it's ok to have a little fun, whilst acknowledging that the truth is somewhere inbetween, and that the reception of music is, after all, subjective.  I don't think anyone here ripped into it, without at least some backup evidence, or a few humorous side-notes (which makes it more about forum bonding really I'd say).  I've seen some forums where people ruthlessly bash certain artists without any consideration whatsover, that make our discussion here look absolutely thoughtful and polite.  Therein the difference lies I think.

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2008, 10:48:45 AM »
From 1981, during his days in Chameleon...

??? ;D

I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

Hypnagogue

• Let's do music.
    • View Profile
    • Hypnagogue Reviews
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2008, 11:16:31 AM »
Just looking at those shorts gave me a sympathetic ache.
Hypnagogue Reviews
one listener's opinion on new music
hypnagoguereviews.wordpress.com
Hypnagogue Podcast
hypnagoguepodcast.wordpress.com

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2008, 11:25:36 AM »
True style never goes out of fashion.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

drkappa

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2008, 12:45:55 PM »
My sentiments mirror 9dragons.

I don't like the term New Age, because in brings in connotations of
new-age beliefs and mysticism, bundles the music with supermarket
yoga and lifestyle CDs.  As a result lots of quality music is overlooked,
tarred by the same brush.   Some of the criticisms are quite vitriolic such
as I recently found at [http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/.
As this genre of music is made by more mature composers, it's also
ridiculed in the yoof culture.   This type of music isn't represented in the
media.   Adults are expected to go from pop and indie to classical and
folk, at least on the BBC.

While I do have many, let's say adult contemporary or instrumental CDs,
I don't have any by Yanni or those by pianists popular in Windham
Hill.  I don't even care for Harold Budd.  Just because I don't like
this type of music, I'm not going to say it's romantic rubbish.

At one time I suppose was a snob regarding Jarre.  It grated that this
stuff was so popular compared with the pioneering and more sophisticated
Tangerine Dream.  To me it was behind the times.  So I never bought any
of his albums, except many years later a "Best Of" more for visitors who'd
like it.

Very funny caption Undershadow.
Malcolm Currie
   If you have been...