Author Topic: Single disc CD players  (Read 2555 times)

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
Single disc CD players
« on: September 06, 2008, 12:03:24 PM »
I started this thread on the old forum, and since it was lost with the last server meltdown I thought  I would bring it up again. Originally I was looking for a dedicated single CD player, not a DVD player that also plays CDs or a multi-disc player. It seems single CD players are getting hard to find. Their was some pretty good advice last time around so I thought it might be nice if we could go over this again.

Since that time I ended up buying an Onkyo DX702 deck from my local Goodwill for $14.  ;D Hard to pass up at that price. It is used, about 16 years old but one nice feature it has that my old CD player didn't have (aside from actually playing discs without skipping) is a digital output. My receiver has digital ins so this should give me an improvement in sound quality.

In any case I would still like some advice for new players as I would like to upgrade my living room system (I bought the Onkyo for the bedroom) at some point in the future.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
Re: Single disc CD players
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 12:35:03 PM »
While my Technics SL-PD 887 5-CD Changer is still working fine,
when I want to pop in a single disc, I like to use my Pioneer DV-45A DVD player
which ALSO plays SACDs and DVD-A discs so I can wallow in the surround-sound
Diatonis or Bjork, Depeche Mode, Beck, Talking Heads, Miles, Bowie, Pink Floyd...

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 04:03:55 PM »

Loren: your post reminds me of a second-hand Onkyo DX-RD511 I picked up a couple of years ago for a good price -- really nice features, including digital in and out, and optical in, nice front controls, and with both a playback and a recordable drive, so you can copy from one to the other. But the damn thing stops working properly after about 45 minutes ... the controls on it just don't work anymore (if I remember rightly). Was great quality for those 45 minutes though. Took it apart to look for bad connections, but no joy.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 05:54:45 PM »
There's no such thing as an inexpensive CD-only player any more.  Mass-market electronics companies don't have any reason to make a CD player because DVD players are dirt cheap and they play CDs too... nobody would buy a $75 Panasonic or Sony single CD player.

There are plenty of audiophile targeted CD-only players available but not too cheap.  What's wrong with using a DVD video player as a CD player?   
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 06:27:04 PM »
What's wrong with using a DVD video player as a CD player?   

As I stated in the original now lost post I have had nothing but bad luck with DVD players. Gone through at least four of them in the last five years, they are all just POS from my point of view, and its not like I am watching tons of movies on them or even leaving them on 24/7. All the investment has gone into the video end and not the audio, so I think the audio has suffered. I just wanted a dedicated CD player is that too much to ask?

If audiophile is all that's left then what are the good affordable ones? What does everyone else use to listen to their music?
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 09:01:27 PM »
I recently picked up a used Arcam CD73 single-CD player on eBay for just a little over $300 when my used Adcom GCD-700 bit the dust.  It's a great sounding player, and have had almost no problems with CDs or CDRs, even dinged-up ones.  The Arcam is a little pricey, though its street price new recently went down to $600.  It has a coaxial out, though I haven't used it.

Forrest