Author Topic: Dream Collaborations  (Read 18576 times)

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
Dream Collaborations
« on: September 10, 2008, 12:48:38 PM »
Is anyone else out there hoping for more of the masterful collaborations between our favorite ambient artists, like in the days of yore? I assume that a new collab between Roach and Rich is to only be dreamed of, and will most likely not come about, for no reason I can discern. Some of the great ambient collaborations have strengthened the whole field of ambient music, and the artists themselves, in the past, yet we are seeing very few of them these days (at least in my limited range of awareness). Why is this? I vaguely remember reading an interview with, I think, Robert Rich, that stated Rich and Roach simply had nothing more to express musically together (or rather, they would do another collaboration if and when they had something they felt they could say together). But that seems strange. These two men created some of the best ambient works together, in the span of only two albums! Certainly they've got at least a third that they could do, at this stage of their careers.

So I am wondering, what are your favorite past collaborations, and what would you like to see (hypothetically) in the future? My faves are "Stalker", "Well of Souls", "Strata", "Soma", "Fissures", "Body Electric", "Mother Sunrise",  "Greed" (Vidna and Klinik) "Serpent's Lair", "Cavern of Sirens" - wow, the list could go on and on...

And some dream collabs would be: Fear Falls Burning and Robert Rich (Why not? Rich worked with Markus Reuter, another ambient guitar man), Steve Roach and Rapoon, Fear Falls Burning and Steve Roach (that would be a mind-blower would it not?), Rich and Roach again (of course), Stokes and Alio Die (perhaps this is too weird to imagine, but it seems an exciting clash to me)...

Could it be that part of the reason for fewer collabs is the need to split the profits? Seems reasonable. Would the increase in sales due to the fusion of two great names justify it?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 12:50:51 PM by 9dragons »

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
Re: Dream Collaborations
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 12:54:58 PM »
Nice thought...  I think it's sometimes hard for artists to get together and bring something out.   Long distance collaborations can work - trading files back and forth.   It takes a long time for most of these to happen. 

We have an interesting thing going on at AtmoWorks with several artists getting together and bouncing tracks off of each other - it's a very cool thing that sprouted up as an offshoot of the community.    Some of these will be coming out this fall - others in 2009.

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 02:17:49 PM »
The Atmoworks site is looking great, so much to choose from! It reminded of one of the all time great collaborations, Ma Ja Le. "Seed" is such a great example of the coming together of energies to produce a lasting classic.

The rapid-fire collaborations you mention sound like they will be very fruitful. This seems like it will only increase inspiration and creativity. And doing only a track or two instead of a full blown album is a smart move. Collaboration sparks artists to new heights, and the knowledge of each increases exponentially. For instance, I think Steve Roach has learned a lot from the people he has worked with, and it's likely part of why his level of mastery and engagement with the material is so high.

To mention a couple of the more recent excellent collabs: "Terraform" from Roach/Loren Nerell, "Distance to Zero" by Oophoi and Paul Vnuk, Jr. Both these albums have been sustaining my interest and increasing in intrigue for me for some time now...

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 03:17:55 PM »
my ideal collab would be between rigel orionis and any 1 or more of the following:
mike griffin, robert scott thompson, dwight ashley, robert carty, paul vnuk or chris short, steve roach or christian sottemann.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 03:23:19 PM »
Wouldn't mind seeing Stephen Philips and James Johnson do a follow-up to Lost at Dunn's Lake. Would also like to see Jeff Pearce work with Tim Story.

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 08:05:45 PM »
Right now I'm listening to M. Griffin and Dave Fulton's Most Distant Point Known, and it's a pretty darn good collab.  Also gotten a little into Fulton and Reaves' "The Range" and think it's fantastic so far.  Dave Fulton seems to be a good musician to collab. with.  Dweller At the Threshold is some of my favorite spacemusic- I play that during treatments often (massage therapy).  9 Dragons, your collab picks of the past are all great, those that I've heard I completely agree with.  I'd echo Strata, Serpent's Lair, and most recently Distance to Zero-  most powerful cd right there.  Joe R has told me I must get Vine Bark & Spore and that's sounding like a good idea right now.  Bill, that's a wonderful idea, Tim Story and Jeff Pearce.  High hopes would be heaped on something that promising.  Saul Stokes and Vir Unis' Thermal Transfer- Jeez, there's not much else good to say that hasn't already been said about it on this forum- I'll just add that it kicks ass. Oh, and without a doubt, Suspended Memories was one of my favorite ambient supergroups, by far.

Anyway Robert Rich and Forrest Fang should make a true, 50/50 collaboration.  Or you could add Loren Nerell to that ticket for a great Gamelan supergroup. 

Why not Steve Roach and Alio Die?  Seems like that shoulda happened by now. 

Since this is about dream collabs, I'd suggest David Parsons & Michael Stearns, except I doubt I'd have strong enough speakers to handle that output.. :D  Parsons doesn't seem to collab much at all, though.

There was a similar thread in the old forum, and I believe to have mentioned Oophoi and Jim Cole.  You don't need much backdrop for Jim Cole; in fact less is probably better, but if that backdrop is Oophoi it of course would be an engaging and interesting minimalist "less".

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 08:48:48 AM »
Oh yeah, The Most Distant Point Known... I haven't listened to that one in a while.  I need to give that one a listen.  Glad you enjoyed it, Judd.  Dave and I have talked about doing another collaboration at some point but we're both pretty busy and it hasn't happened, in fact I haven't even seen Dave in months.  I know he and Giles are working on another album.

[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 06:49:04 AM »
whatabout genre bending collaberations (or possibly nightmares):

Steve Roach and Britney Spears. :o

Alio Die and Alvin the Chipmunk. :o :o

I've written to Girls Aloud to do an album together  :o :o :o

(Or a video  ;D :o :o :o :o)

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 06:58:14 AM »
I think Rigel Orionis and Darren Rogers,
Me and Steve Roach
Me and Kitaro...:)
Twitter: ImagineerR
Facebook: www.facebook.com/einstein36

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 09:28:41 PM »
Forrest Fang and Off the Sky.  Both have an unorthodox style, would be interesting.

Chad Hoefler's underrated.  He puts the "techo" in techno-tribal.   A duo with Robert Rich would be sweet.

And now for the ultra strange/never gonna happen:  Tom Heasley and Harold Budd.  Space chamber music, anyone?

jblock

• View Profile
    • synthblock
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 06:11:24 AM »
I've recorded a bunch of music with Dave Fulton over the years. I was in Portland on business last week and spent a couple of days with Dave recording some more. Hopefully, some of this will see the light of day at some point.
Jonathan Block
www.synthblock.com

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 09:22:17 AM »
I've recorded a bunch of music with Dave Fulton over the years. I was in Portland on business last week and spent a couple of days with Dave recording some more. Hopefully, some of this will see the light of day at some point.

In the great words of Ben Stiller's disguise character in Starsky and Hutch:

"Do it.  Do it."

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 10:03:40 AM »
Forrest Fang and Off the Sky.  Both have an unorthodox style, would be interesting.

Well, that would be interesting, but not as interesting as Steve Roach and Britney Spears.  :)

Forrest

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 03:58:51 PM »
Anyway Robert Rich and Forrest Fang should make a true, 50/50 collaboration.  Or you could add Loren Nerell to that ticket for a great Gamelan supergroup. Why not Steve Roach and Alio Die?  Seems like that shoulda happened by now.

Very much in agreement on a Fang/Nerell/Rich collaboration. It think it would take all these proceedings to an entirely new level. I mean, "Temple of the Invisible" is one of the shining lights of the whole ambient/electronic world, and going deeper into the world unearthed by this music would be phenomenal.

As for the Alio Die and Roach, it is sad that it hasn't been done yet. AD collaborated with Rich on "Fissures", Vidna on "Echo Passage", so why not with the remaining Titan of ambient? And the balance of their styles would produce something truly remarkable. Alio always produces excellence for collaboration, and one can only imagine how Roach would work with it. Time for a vacation to Italy, Steve...

As far as off the wall never gonna happen collabs that nevertheless should be done in a happier world: Robert Rich and Dave Brock...can you imagine?!

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 08:19:22 PM »

Well, that would be interesting, but not as interesting as Steve Roach and Britney Spears.  :)

Forrest

Steve doesn't have enough modulators and voice distorters, I'm afraid....

Very much in agreement on a Fang/Nerell/Rich collaboration. It think it would take all these proceedings to an entirely new level. I mean, "Temple of the Invisible" is one of the shining lights of the whole ambient/electronic world, and going deeper into the world unearthed by this music would be phenomenal.

As for the Alio Die and Roach, it is sad that it hasn't been done yet. AD collaborated with Rich on "Fissures", Vidna on "Echo Passage", so why not with the remaining Titan of ambient? And the balance of their styles would produce something truly remarkable. Alio always produces excellence for collaboration, and one can only imagine how Roach would work with it. Time for a vacation to Italy, Steve...

Yeah and Roach makes a great collaborator too.  Many of my favorite Roach albums are collabs. 

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 10:00:41 PM »
I don't care much about Alio Die and Steve Roach collab in part because I can't quite see what the latter could add to this whole thing (but that's a different story, and I am not going there...).....but...I vote for  Alio Die and Robin Storey

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 05:24:44 AM »
i agree with Uhurit, i like/love both their work but actually i'd see no balance in their work 'together' as i see no mixture with Steve's recent more synthetic sounding works to Alio's.. but Hell who knows ... :o
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 05:47:16 AM by jim02 »

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 07:30:29 AM »
i agree with Uhurit, i like/love both their work but actually i'd see no balance in their work 'together' as i see no mixture with Steve's recent more synthetic sounding works to Alio's.. but Hell who knows ... :o

Well, first I don't think Uhurit was exactly saying he likes both their work, if you catch my drift...

Roach has displayed a lot of different styles, and has turned on a dime before- on the one hand he's working on a Fever Dreams, on the other an Immersion album.  Yes, maybe not his synthetic "Arc of Passion" style, unless it was very subdued, but now he's teaming up again with Metcalf and Mark Seelig on an album that seems part deep ambient, part tribal.  And, (breaking news  ::)) he's got one with Erik Wollo coming out in November.  So irrespective of his talents, I think he can change his musical style from album to album, that's pretty well established given 60- some releases.  The one thing about Alio Die though, and his Italian protoge' is that the style is unlike most of Roach's collaborators, very organic and meandering.  Roach has usually collaborated with percussionists, or guitarists, or the occasional "kindered" spirit of a Robert Rich, so a collab with Alio Die would be different, usually because Roach is the one who usually contributes the amorphous soundworlds to balance the "activity" of the collaborator.  But if Alio Die uses his instruments, if he breaks out the zither, or the khen, and all the nature effects.... what I'm trying to say is if you took a great effort from both of them you'd end up with something good, like a 1st or 2nd cousin to Rich's collab with Alio Die, Fissures

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 07:36:33 AM »
Think of the slower pieces from the Suspended Memories albums, how deep and intoxicating they were.  I thought so at least.  Now imagine his Early Man era, the drifting dream-like state of another time.  That kind of energy could be used to match/compliment Alio Die's understated palette.

Undershadow

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2008, 04:51:21 PM »

The Rustling of (if you) Leaves (me now) - Oophoi with Chicago
Thursday Afternoon Delight – Eno & The Starland Vocal Band
The Light Beyond Good and Evil - Jeff Pearce interprets Frederick Nietzsche
It’s Raining Menschmaschine – Kraftwerk remix The Weathergirls
Smells like Teen Spirit Chaser – Dead Can Dance vs. Nirvana
Monstrous Soul Man - Sam & Dave & Lustmord
The Most Excellent Void – Bill and Ted & Steve
Suspended Mammaries, Forgotten Gods – Suspended Memories ft. Dolly Parton
The Disintegration L[oops I Did It Again] – William Basinski ft. Britney