Author Topic: Is Yanni really all that bad?  (Read 14881 times)

MarkM

• View Profile
Re: Is Yanni really all that bad?
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 01:45:41 PM »
The only exposure I have had to Yanni is the PBS shows.  Musically he has a style that doesn't strike a chord with me, but when looked at as a performer, Yanni has a unique style that obviously has made him appealing. Giving certain musicians in his orchestra theatrical roles is clever and is almost Disney-like.  On that level I respect his talent and style. Yanni has marketed himself without criticizing others.  To mock a fellow musician who has found a unique formula for success without utilizing cheap sexploitational antics (i.e. Britney Spears) smacks of elitism. 

Now, having said that, for the love of God, can someone explain John Tesh's appeal?

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2008, 01:53:52 PM »
Have to say that I have no idea who John Tesh is.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2008, 02:27:36 PM »
I guess the prob I have with folks like Yanni is the marketing-  I just don't get why you need to open up the shirt and style the hair, when you're selling music (new age I'm talking about now) that represents gentle things, like tranquility, inner peace, nature etc.  not that I think all new age music just represents that.  I can't speak for the whole ambient crowd, but maybe they pick up an insincerity, because of this image aspect and the overblown aspect.

I used to listen to early Windham hill and I loved it- It didn't seem to be overblown, and the image/marketing suited the music.

Having said all that, I feel bad for treating Yanni poorly now.  I guess I knew that he did a variety of music, and there was more depth behind the mustachio, but I was eager to jump on the fun aspect of it all.

"I'm sorry Yanni" (sobs).  (Pats Yanni's mustache gently)  "You done good."

Listen to deepspace here: http://deepspacehome.com

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 02:36:12 PM »
That was so ... so ....... so very touching  (also sobs) (reaches for kleenex).
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2008, 04:51:05 PM »
Yanni fulfills a certain need of music consumers, especially the ones with no taste.  Having said that, I have to admit I have seen Live at the Acropolis and enjoyed it, he put on a good show and is not without talent.  It is pleasant music, and at least it is positive in a world where there is so much garbage music being churned out that has no redeeming social value whatsoever and glorifies sex and violence.  Perhaps it is his squeaky clean image that annoys some. 

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2008, 12:01:12 AM »
Gets out pale coloured, soft bound book.  The words "Learning to Love Yanni" in pink embossed font on the cover. 

Sits down and flips through it slowly, a look of realization and awe dawning on face. 

Puts book down, disappears into room for a few minutes.

Comes out, now wearing a long white robe, and unties a long mane of smooth black hair, which cascades around shoulders.

Mutters in a dark and quiet whisper: "Those fools, they will feel the wrath of the Yanni"

Heads for synth.

Listen to deepspace here: http://deepspacehome.com

sio

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2008, 03:39:45 AM »
Sacrilege  :o :o Yanni has shaved his moustache and cuts his hairs !!

Undershadow

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2008, 04:05:51 AM »

"Ha! You may mock me, Meestah Deepspace, but... just 'ow many more Prophet seenthesizers 'ave I got than you...? Bwahahaha!"

Thaumogenesis

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2008, 05:20:45 AM »
You can hate what he composes, which is fine, but he is obviously musically talented.

Nope, that's always a silly argument to use: talent is the end result, and is this case, it's bloody awful. It's like saying somebody is a good footballer because they can do a lot of tricks, but when it comes to the actual game, they are hopeless.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 05:22:42 AM by Thaumogenesis »

Undershadow

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2008, 07:11:59 AM »
Yes, itís a dodgy justification, if thatís what was intended.

This perspective seems, rather than looking at the end (Yanniís compositions) and the means (musical talent), and seeing the latter as being in service to the former, does a peculiar volte face, privileging the means (musical talent) at the expense of the end (the resulting compositions).

Now weíre all familiar with philosophical debates about whether the (desirable) end justifies the (reprehensible) means, but I canít fathom why anyone would want to be seen to be defending such a wonky proposition: that a desirable means Ė musical talent - justifies an undesirable end Ė bad music.

I rest my case.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 07:22:42 AM by Undershadow »

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2008, 08:52:24 AM »
yanni does have talent. he does not - however - seem to have any depth or soul in his performances. he does make a shitload of money and, if that is his goal, more power to him.
i am reminded of vangelis and tangerine dream. they have created some incredible music over the years and they have also created some absolute - by our standards - drivel! yanni probably has done some good music if only by accident but it does not fit any of our tastes.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2008, 09:18:11 AM »
The reason I think you could say Yanni does have talent, despite making music that most of us don't like, is that he's not trying to make music that we would like.   He's trying to reach a mass audience of mostly women, who are seeking romantic, emotional, superficial compositions that are "uplifting" and "nice" and "beautiful."  The music isn't meant to be complex, or shaded, or difficult, or subtle.  That would actually detract from the appeal for most of his listeners.

So, who knows whether Yanni is capable of doing work that is more complex or interesting, if he wanted to.  We're judging him harshly because his work is like a poor, lame cousin to the music of Kitaro or Jean-Michel Jarre, but I really don't think Yanni ever meant to be anything other than popular.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2008, 10:21:47 AM »
Looks like the Yanni has a dark side:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0307061yanni1.html

Which, in light of this wonderful quote off the Amazon editorial review of Yanni's album "In My Time", is all the more ironic and bitter:

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com
Formally attired and seductively positioned, Yanni gazes out at you from the cover of this 1993 recording and--no description needed--tells you everything you need to know about the music that awaits inside. Here are a few additional details: In My Time is a 49-minute album of piano-based works with a distinct neoclassical flavor that is targeted specifically to Yanni's large and faithful female following. Its highlights: the shimmering tenderness of "In the Morning Light" and the gently caressing "To Take ... To Hold."
--Terry Wood

If only Terry knew...

Robert Logan

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2008, 10:37:31 AM »
I've done some more listening (I've never really paid attention to him before) and what I don't understand is why he chooses such awful sounds for his compositions. I'll admit he can play the keyboard competently for the style of music he's creating, and I've never seen a live, so maybe I'm missing a better aspect to his career, but really, if he's got lots of nice keyboards, even if he can't be bothered to create new sounds, it would be nicer on the ears of the presets he did choose didn't sound so cheap and sappy. 

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2008, 10:51:47 AM »
I heard most of one Yanni CD once, a few years ago, I have no idea what the title was. It was quite enough for me! It was my mother's CD, and to her credit she didn't really care for it either (it was a gift). It was musical wallpaper of the worst kind, just syrup & sugar & empty calories. Maybe I would have discovered deeper layers had I listened longer, but I doubt it.

Although as Jim says, he's not trying to make any grand musical statement - he's in it for the money, and he sure found his niche there!

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2008, 10:54:46 AM »
Didn't he once play with Chameleon, a Mpls. band back in the early 80's?  I seem to recall they were pretty popular, for a regional band, playing kinda poppy new-wave pub rock.  Nothing like his current sound at all.
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2008, 11:26:03 AM »

I think the albums on Private Music were not too bad, and I'm sure most of the people laughing hardest at Yanni have never heard Optimistique, for example.

I'm assuming you mean that they'd step back a little in their condemnation, lot laugh even harder ;) 

Without making any comments, I invite anyone to take the Optimystique challange themselves.

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »
I am laughing hard as I write this...wait...so...this is supposed to be the redeeming album that makes one realize the deep talent behind the oh so unjustly mocked Yanni? Wait, no, this must be a joke...

This is almost so bad it's good.

But not quite. Yanni isn't even good at being bad...

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2008, 01:14:23 PM »
I'm not saying Optimistique is great, and it's obviously very dated, hasn't aged well at all... but in the early days of Private Music, this stuff wasn't a complete and total joke, the way people refer to Yanni now, that's all I was saying.  This stuff is not a million miles from the sound of Tangerine Dream from that era.  Don't get me wrong... I don't own any Yanni albums and I don't really like any of them, even the Private Music albums.  I just think it's really easy in 2008 to have a big belly-laugh about this stuff, and I'm saying the first couple of albums were OK at the time for what they were supposed to be, which is cheerful, lightweight New Age.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

MarkM

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2008, 02:15:44 PM »
I listened to a few of those youtube clips, and that music is just not my cup of tea.  I think a great deal of Tangerine Dream music is on the same level.  And as we all know, many people think our beloved ambient music is produced by people with little to no talent. I would guess that most people would listen to Roach's "The Magnificent Void" and laugh at the fact that many (including myself) consider it wonderful music.

Why mock the fellow's music?  He has an audience that he alone cultivated.  He knows what they want, and he delivers to their delight. Yanni doesn't pretend to be an ambient musician, and he doesn't threaten the Roachs or Riches.  About the only similarity is his use of synths, and his CDs are found in the New Age section, along with Roach, Rich, Stearns, Serrie, Obmana, etc.

Anyone who promotes music without the exploitation of others is ok in my book: even Tangerine Dream.  It's all about taste; no one is right or wrong.