Author Topic: The holiday food you're waiting for  (Read 9865 times)

Hypnagogue

• Let's do music.
    • View Profile
    • Hypnagogue Reviews
The holiday food you're waiting for
« on: December 19, 2007, 09:35:22 AM »
This thread is brought on by the arrival in our office of these insanely good chocolate truffles one of our designers makes. They're downright sinful and positively addictive.

The holidays are the time of year when people roll out that "special" food. For my family, it's a thing we call "balls & dogs"--cut-up hot dogs, little meatballs and pineapple chunks in a sort of sweet-sour sauce. It sounds foul, but one taste and you're hooked. And I know that come Christmas Eve my sister will have a big crockpot full of it just waiting for us.

So....what's the holiday food you can't wait to get to?

(Now if you'll excuse me, there are truffles to be had...)
Hypnagogue Reviews
one listener's opinion on new music
hypnagoguereviews.wordpress.com
Hypnagogue Podcast
hypnagoguepodcast.wordpress.com

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
Re: The holiday food you're waiting for
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 09:56:38 AM »
I'm already dreaming about Mike's amazing homemade garlic mashed potatoes! When I was little, though, my aunt always made these things she called "buckeyes", which was like a peanut butter ball dipped in chocolate. I have since carried-on the tradition, I made them for Thanksgiving this year. (Yummy, but very, very dangerous, since they contain a TON of butter, peanut butter & sugar)...
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 10:09:54 AM »
Kathryn and I have two traditional meals every year. Christmas Eve is her out of this world decadent cheese fondue...OMIGOD! So delicious with a crusty baguette for dipping into it....and (hopefully) a nice brandy (or two or three....Courvosier, of course) to finish it off whilst sitting in front of the fire. Then, Christmas dinner is always one of her exceptional East Indian meals...made scratch dahl, a nice spicy lamb curry dish, shredded curry cabbage and onions, basmatai rice with cinnamon and other spices, naan, pan-sauteed in butter...and lots and lots of mixed pickle relish....oooooooh it's good...washed down with Bass Ale.

Can't wait! :)

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 10:16:27 AM »
Both meals sound good to me, Bill.  I'm not gonna say anything about Hypnogogue's "balls and dogs" which sounds like a bad hot lunch experiment from my grade school cafeteria... oh, wait, I said I wasn't gonna say anything!
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 10:26:43 AM »
That curry does sound great !
One of my favourite meals.
I'd happy substitute it for the inevitable turkey.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 11:02:27 AM »
The one thing I always anticipate the most is this crab dip that my mom makes.  It's mostly crab meat, but with some kind of creamy base which I believe to be mushroom soup, and chopped up onions and celery.

This is one thing I really hated to miss, during those years when I was a vegetarian.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 02:26:18 PM »
Angelfood candy.

My dad used to own a small mom-and-pop grocery store.  Every Christmas, he would get the most amazing candies; bulk cases of ribbon candy, the Christmas assortments, all sorts of chocolate-covered things, etc.  Probably 30 or 40 different types, the kind of stuff you can only find in specialty candy stores now.  Of all of them, the angelfood was the best; melt-in-your-mouth yumminess.  He closed his store 20 years ago; since then, I have never found angelfood candy to compare to what he used to get. :(

I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 02:33:22 PM »
What is that stuff, Sundummy?  Ingredient analysis, please.

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 02:34:06 PM »
Angelfood candy....uhhhhhhhhhhhh

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 02:36:03 PM »
Here in San Antonio, it's homemade tamales. I'm not of hispanic descent, but I have friends that always invite us over during the holidays plus I have a source of a family that makes them at home for sale. They are delicious! Nothing like the store bought kind. Sadly, I hear that many of the younger Mexican - American kids aren't interested in carrying on the time consuming family tradition of the Tamalada :( .  Anyway, I'll enjoy them while I have them.  Harry D
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

SunDummy

• View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 03:23:40 PM »
What is that stuff, Sundummy?  Ingredient analysis, please.

It's mostly sugar; it tastes kinda like toffee, but much much better.

When made correctly, it's like a piece of angel-food cake that's been dried out; it's super-light, like open-cell foam.  But the taste...  oh my, just rich and decadent goodness.  The stuff I have tried in recent years (when I can find it at all) is much denser than the old stuff; it's also too hard.  It should just melt in your mouth, not turn into a lump of sugary goo. 

Here's a recipe I found online:

INGREDIENTS
1 cup white sugar
1 cup dark corn syrup
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 pound chocolate confectioners' coating

DIRECTIONS
Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, corn syrup and vinegar. Cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Heat, without stirring, to 300 to 310 degrees F (149 to 154 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms hard, brittle threads. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda. Pour into prepared pan; do not spread. Mixture will not fill pan. Allow to cool completely.
In the microwave or over a double boiler, melt coating chocolate, stirring frequently until smooth. Break cooled candy into bite sized pieces and dip into melted candy coating. Let set on waxed paper. Store tightly covered.

I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 03:31:37 PM »
Hey, that stuff reminds me of "Violet Crumble" candy bars, (which are hard to find, because they're imported). They're super-light & sort of honeycombed on the inside. You should try to find those, I'll bet you would like them! Here's a description I found:

Violet Crumble -- a chocolate-covered honeycomb bar with a texture like biting dry plaster, which shatters into shards as sharp as glass. Sounds delicious, right? But thatís the trick, because it is delicious -- tasting of smoked raw sugar, of deeply sweet and dirty honey, of a sugar cube soaked in Liquid Smoke, then veiled in milk chocolate. It is such a bizarre flavor that the only proper way to eat a bar is over days, taking a nibble here and a nibble there, never allowing yourself to become accustomed to the essential strangeness of biting into something that tastes like cigar-ash-and-honey dressed in chalk, (you don't actually need to chew these things, however, they just melt in your mouth).

« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 03:38:07 PM by lena »
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

SunDummy

• View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 04:00:23 PM »
Lena, that sounds alot like angelfood candy... I'll try to track some down.   :)

www.sundummy.com

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 04:22:41 PM »
Harry-

I know what you mean about the homemade tamales. I have a mexican friend at work work makes them, and wraps them in the leaves from the corn cobs. Then of course, she covers them with homemade hot sauce. DROOL.

g.@.b.

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 06:55:38 PM »
What we're waiting for is Holska, a Czechoslovakian holiday stolen made with yeast, flour, egg yolks, rum, zested lemon rind, slivered almonds and white raisins. Braided & brushed with butter & confectioner's sugar, it's the perfect breakfast, buttered, with a cup of strong coffee, on Christmas morning.

I'm baking three loaves Saturday morning.

Hypnagogue

• Let's do music.
    • View Profile
    • Hypnagogue Reviews
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 07:33:45 PM »
Both meals sound good to me, Bill.  I'm not gonna say anything about Hypnogogue's "balls and dogs" which sounds like a bad hot lunch experiment from my grade school cafeteria... oh, wait, I said I wasn't gonna say anything!

Now I'm going to have to overnight a batch to you. :-)
Hypnagogue Reviews
one listener's opinion on new music
hypnagoguereviews.wordpress.com
Hypnagogue Podcast
hypnagoguepodcast.wordpress.com

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2007, 08:36:43 PM »
Speaking of things that SOUND absolutely disgusting... my oldest friend has a party dish he makes which is fairly common, actually.  It's a dip involving canned chili and velveeta pseudo-cheese, melted and stirred into a sloppy goo.  Sounds disgusting, yes, but if you try a taste you'll find yourself eating more and more and more until you have a bellyache and salt poisoning.

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2007, 09:38:22 PM »
It's called Kosher Christmas in my family. One year when we were kids, my parents were rushed on Christmas Eve, and stopped at the local deli, bought a bunch of corned beef, roast beef, turkey, potato salad, kosher dills, etc. It went over so well, that we started doing it every year, and it's become a family tradition. Now, we look forward to Christmas Eve dinner more than Christmas Day itself.

Two pieces of fresh rye bread, deli mustard, and about two inches of corned beef, mmmmmm.....
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 10:17:52 PM »
Damn!! I don't know about you, but I'm getting hungry ;D   Harry D

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 10:23:17 PM »
Speaking of things that SOUND absolutely disgusting... my oldest friend has a party dish he makes which is fairly common, actually.  It's a dip involving canned chili and velveeta pseudo-cheese, melted and stirred into a sloppy goo.  Sounds disgusting, yes, but if you try a taste you'll find yourself eating more and more and more until you have a bellyache and salt poisoning.
                                                                                                                       Oh, yes.  That is good. My wife makes a similar dish with Velveeta and a can of Rotel tomatoes and green chilis. I don't worry about it during the holidays, though. I just double up on my cholesterol medication and ,of course, have another beer. OMG, Angel Food Chocolate!!!  I need some now!!!   Harry D
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 02:25:48 PM by hdibrell »