Author Topic: CD player advice  (Read 2414 times)

Bill Binkelman

CD player advice
« on: October 19, 2008, 06:50:31 AM »
My Technics carrousel CD player appears to not be reading any CDs (or CD-Rs). It's about 15 years old. I've never had the lens cleaned or any maintenance done on it (never needed to). Everything seems to be fine except when you put a disc in, it just spins but doesn't read the disc. My questions is this: Is it worth buying one of those cleaning discs, the ones that clean the lens supposedly, or is it probably something else? I don't want to waste the money on the cleaning device (what do they cost anyway?) but I also don't want to buy a new or used player when there's nothing really wrong with this one.

Any advice or suggestions would be helpful. If I have to buy a new player, I may go the craig's list or ebay route because....(see below)

...you don't know how hard it is nowadays to find a store that sells decent but not high end (which I neither want nor can afford) CD players. I was in Best Buy (one of their new superstores, too) and they had ONE model of carrousel  CD player on the shelf. I remember when they carried about 8 brands and maybe 35 models. Damn digital music revolution!

Nothing worse than being a supposed music reviewer without a CD player (my JVC shelf system just bit the dust too...the same week!). I'm confined to my computer (with headphones) and my car right now. It sucks not being to play music while doing stuff around the house. :(

Joe R

• View Profile
Re: CD player advice
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 07:31:32 AM »
Hi Bill-

I can't guarantee that a cleaning disc will solve your problems, but I swear by them myself. I bought one for $14 on a recommendation from a friend when my DVD player stopped reading discs. Worked like a charm, and we still have that same DVD player many years later. I was so impressed that I ran it through my CD players, which were both several years old, and I was amazed at how much clearer the sound was -it was like having a new CD player. Now I run the cleaner through every month or two, just as a preventative measure. The instructions that come with it say to use the cleaner after every 10 hours of CD player usage, but that seems a bit unnecessary to me.

I've heard people say that these cleaning discs can damage the surface of the laser lens, but I've never had that problem.

Of course, it could be that your CD player has puked bigtime for any other number of reasons, but for $14 you can't really go wrong, IMO.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 09:16:55 AM »
the cleaning discs work well but can overdo it. i ruined a player by using the cleaner too often! imagine that.
like bill, i do not go for the high end either. the difference between moderate/low end and high end is noticeable but not worth $100 imo.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 11:26:33 AM »
I just went through this same problem with my 20 year old single disc player. Your problem could be a dirty lens or it could be your laser has finally died, you won't know unless you try cleaning the lens, it might fix the problem or it might not, no guarantee. As for replacing it, you could do what I did, head over to your local Good Will or other thrift store and find another one. I picked up an Onkyo player for $14 which plays perfectly, it even has a digital output.  :) As for new, I know Yamaha still makes a carrousel CD player that is suppose to be pretty good.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 07:50:51 PM »
Thanks to Joe, Jim and Loren. With your advice and guidance, I bought a cleaning disk ($5 at Target...a GE wet solution one) and presto, my main (Technics) player seems okay. I haven't tried it on the boombox yet but I was more worried about my Technics. Wow....to think I almost dropped as much as 150 large for no reason. Again, sincere and grateful thanks for this.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 04:23:19 AM »
Great! I love it when a story has a happy ending. :)