Author Topic: Autumn Ambient  (Read 6581 times)

judd stephens

• View Profile
Autumn Ambient
« on: September 17, 2008, 05:37:45 PM »
This is my favorite time of year- football season, the weather's nice, the holidays approach.  This time of year prompts me to want to listen to certain styles of music.   For some reason, maybe it's because of the harvest season, and then Holloween, that I always like to hear Medeival and Renaissance-inspired music and even Gothic -like ambient music.  Lisa Gerrard & Dead Can Dance, Azam Ali & Vas, that sort of thing, just fits in perfectly; in fact I really don't like to listen to that music during the summer per se, but then once Fall rolls around that music not only becomes enjoyable, but also sounds like the perfect fit. 

Anybody else like that?  You have any good suggestions that fit the Autumn?   

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
Re: Autumn Ambient
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 05:58:52 PM »
I've been eyeing my copy of Oophoi's "The Rustling of Leaves". Also getting ready to bust out the Arcana and the Raison d'Etre. Been thinking the same things about the seasonal appropriateness of music. So subtle, almost not noticeable, but the change in music urge is there, and does seem to follow the seasons.

For great authentic, historical medieval music, check out Ensemble Alcatraz, "Danse Royal" http://www.amazon.com/Danse-Royale/dp/B000005J0B is an exceptional interpretation, better than others I've found. These players seem to get more soulfully involved in the music, without compromising the trueness to the ancient sound and feeling. Other bands seem a bit too academic for my taste.

Wow, I am actually getting quite excited about the arrival of autumn. The Northwest is gorgeous at this time...

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 09:05:42 PM »
Autumn is my favorite time, as well. I know that those of you in the north love the coming of spring as a welcome relief from winter. Here in south Texas, we look at Fall as a respite from a sometimes brutal summer. Did I mention football? That's good, too. :)
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 07:45:47 AM »
For great authentic, historical medieval music, check out Ensemble Alcatraz, "Danse Royal" http://www.amazon.com/Danse-Royale/dp/B000005J0B is an exceptional interpretation, better than others I've found. These players seem to get more soulfully involved in the music, without compromising the trueness to the ancient sound and feeling. Other bands seem a bit too academic for my taste.

Well I went to youtube in search of the full songs, and what I found wasn't exactly true to the original, but definitely not too academic!

;D

This sounds like something Dr. Dre would've created.  I actually like some good dj work now and then...

Hypnagogue

• Let's do music.
    • View Profile
    • Hypnagogue Reviews
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 09:49:24 AM »
For about a week and half I've been rolling Christopher Orczy's "Transition" constantly. It seems to match the slowing of the season and the cooler evenings. Nice deck listening, and Orczy's slow-breath harmonium work seems to fill the house very nicely.
Hypnagogue Reviews
one listener's opinion on new music
hypnagoguereviews.wordpress.com
Hypnagogue Podcast
hypnagoguepodcast.wordpress.com

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 11:27:29 AM »

Well I went to youtube in search of the full songs, and what I found wasn't exactly true to the original, but definitely not too academic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr2QnSec2Gs  ;D

This sounds like something Dr. Dre would've created.  I actually like some good dj work now and then...

That was funny, and sounded good. But what is up with the Alcatraz? There is nothing to be found in the way of audio. They do have a more recent album out, and the description of it here describes exactly why I like them so much, and what makes them better than other medieval groups: http://www.hollowear.com/reviews/alcatraz-kitka.html

And there are three samples of that album on the Kitka site (scroll down to the "Cantigas de Amigo" album) http://www.kitka.org/music/index.html which as far as I can tell is the only audio on the net of Ensemble Alcatraz. They're so hardcore medieval they don't even have a myspace page!

(actually, Amazon has samples of the full album here: http://www.amazon.com/Cantigas-Amigo-Songs-Friend/dp/B00004UDER/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1221762512&sr=1-8)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 11:29:45 AM by 9dragons »

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 12:02:14 PM »
For about a week and half I've been rolling Christopher Orczy's "Transition" constantly. It seems to match the slowing of the season and the cooler evenings. Nice deck listening, and Orczy's slow-breath harmonium work seems to fill the house very nicely.

Good call John,

Chris Orczy is (IMO) a major talent and an under-rated one too.
I find it odd that the talents of Chris, Matthew Florianz (has there been one post about his last
album 'Malbeek'?) and Diatonis aren't discussed here as of late.

I love the Autumn too, as David Sylvian sung so elquently (when he was good) 'September's here again...'

cheers
Pete

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 12:31:48 PM »
Funny, I almost said the same thing about David Sylvian about the line "September's here again," something I think about every year at this time.  It was the first thing I thought of when I saw this topic.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Bebbo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 02:01:58 PM »
This is my favorite time of year- football season, the weather's nice, the holidays approach.  This time of year prompts me to want to listen to certain styles of music.   For some reason, maybe it's because of the harvest season, and then Holloween, that I always like to hear Medeival and Renaissance-inspired music and even Gothic -like ambient music.  Lisa Gerrard & Dead Can Dance, Azam Ali & Vas, that sort of thing, just fits in perfectly; in fact I really don't like to listen to that music during the summer per se, but then once Fall rolls around that music not only becomes enjoyable, but also sounds like the perfect fit. 

Anything by Hammock.

Bebbo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 02:57:46 AM »

Good call John,

Chris Orczy is (IMO) a major talent and an under-rated one too.
I find it odd that the talents of Chris, Matthew Florianz (has there been one post about his last
album 'Malbeek'?) and Diatonis aren't discussed here as of late.

I love the Autumn too, as David Sylvian sung so elquently (when he was good) 'September's here again...'

cheers
Pete

I didn't know Matthew Florianz had a new album out, so thanks for the heads up. His music could definitely be classed as autumnal. Diatonis has a mildly dark ambient out called Pond which could also be of interest to anyone looking for autumn ambient.

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 09:17:59 AM »
Between Interval's "Autumn Continent" is primo autumn ambient. - J.

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 11:14:19 AM »
I always associate Hammock with Summer, even though I can see how you could fit them into Autumnal.  For some reason, I associate Stars of the Lid with summer- in particular "Tired Sounds" which has got that wonderful lap steel drone on the first track- and they use strings in that droney way- which makes me instantly visualise heat waves on an empty country road.

Now, Autumnal....Harold Budd and Robin Guthrie give me a bit of autumnal vibe.  Guthrie's solo albums definitely have that feel.  I'd add Cocteau Twins to autumnal too.
Some of the Altus stuff reminds me of autumn.  Forgotten Shores from "The Elements: Water" is....I would dare say, the essence of autumnal.  Take 5 minutes out and listen to it here:
http://www.last.fm/music/Altus/_/Forgotten+Shores?autostart

It's like taking a slow drive through a wood. 

It's actually spring down here in upside down land, and the leaves are falling back up into the trees as I write this.

Listen to deepspace here: http://deepspacehome.com

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 08:52:10 PM »
Thanks for all these ideas.  I might wait a month or 2 though before acting.  The hint of fall is in the air, but since I moved South it's not quite the same, or at least, you don't get that feeling as early and as often.  Monday's forecast for Charleston is in the mid- 80's  >:(  May it be the last day of the year like that...

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 07:25:53 PM »

GerryR

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 04:11:36 PM »
Wendy Carlos "Fall". My favorite of her four "Sonic Seasonings".

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 05:23:14 PM »
I'd have to go with Oophoi- The Rustling Of Leaves. For me that's definitive.

Nakjaarna

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 01:01:26 PM »

I'm like that as well! My favorite artists/bands during the autumn (and sometimes winter) season are Angels of Venice, Dead Can Dance, Medieval Baebes, Pilgrimage, Louisa John Krol, Lisa Gerrard, etc.. Also, Jocelyn Montgomery's "Lux Vivens" is a great seasonal album. Dead Can Dance is perfect for any time of year, but I find I can't listen to the other artists/bands as well with a sweltering heat wave! I do like Harold Budd's "The Room," around the cold months, but I find that his music is more suited to winter than autumn.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 01:02:40 PM »
We just listened to Lux Vivens last night, something I used to listen to all the time but I had forgotten about that album for a few years.  It's fantastic.  Lena really enjoyed it as well (she hadn't heard it before).
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions