Author Topic: TUU  (Read 6384 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
TUU
« on: September 20, 2008, 06:27:29 PM »
When I did listen to the new Nada Terma  samples...I did get reminded of TUU...Does anyone know what TUU is up to, could we expect any new music from in future ?

uhurit

• View Profile
Re: TUU
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 07:00:48 PM »
Good question! Tuu have been one of my all-time favorite ethno-ambient acts. Too bad Nick Parkin went astray in the field of formless electronic experimentation

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 07:02:29 PM »
TUU's percussion is really the best in ambient music.
I wish he did drum on the "Nada Terma" album instead...I think it would had been better.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 07:03:42 PM »
The last Tuu CD was released in 1999 on Amplexus. Martin Franklin hasn't done anything remotely like Tuu since then and appears to have not done much music at all. Heck nothing has even been posted on his website for nearly a year, so who knows if anything is going on. BTW here's his website as it stands:

http://www.codetrip.net/

Take care.

- Loren Nerell

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 08:37:10 PM »
It would be nice to see Martin Franklin come back,  maybe in a similar reincarnation with the collaboritive likes of Ma Ja Le, or duo with Chad Hoefler or Terra Ambient.   Speaking of, Terra Ambient's "The Gate" is a very similar sound and style to Tuu, too...that's 2 artists worth looking into  :D  Seriously, I can remember picking up Tuu's "Mesh" and "Terma" at major record stores, for chrissakes.  They were an obvious talent that any new material should be received with a lot of interest. 

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 08:42:04 PM »
I don't know why I never got anything by Tuu, they are right up my alley. I must have checked them out at some point, but maybe I was flush with other tribal ambient at the time...

What do you recommend if you can only get just one of their albums?

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 09:32:04 PM »
I don't know why I never got anything by Tuu, they are right up my alley. I must have checked them out at some point, but maybe I was flush with other tribal ambient at the time...

What do you recommend if you can only get just one of their albums?

I'm not sure, because they did vary their sound over the 5 or so albums they put out, but just to sample Tuu's "style", I'd say it's a toss up between "Mesh" and "All Our Ancestors".  The latter seems very well balanced, whereas the former they begin to further deepen their style-  Mesh is on HOS Fathom I think and is well produced.  That's my personal fave, but my favorite Tuu track is actually the title cut from "One Thousand Years".  The vocal-snippets on that one are so delightfully weird... And then there's Terma.  It's probably their darkest album- you'd probably like it.  Mesh is their deepest and Terma's their darkest.  Make sense??? 

What I'd do is go to Half.com or Amazon and drop about 15 bucks on 3 of their used cd's.  Probably the reason they're so cheap is that there's a lot of used copies circulating, due to 2 Hearts of Space releases, a Waveform reiusse, etc. If you just get a couple of 'em you shouldn't be disappointed with whatever combination.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 04:57:47 AM »
I agree with Judd- Terma's their darkest album, and in my book their best. There's something really ominous and edgy about that one.

Undershadow

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 06:49:16 AM »

I'd put in a word for All Our Ancestors as the classic statement of TUU's sound - their most balanced and fully rounded outing.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 06:57:30 AM »

I'd put in a word for All Our Ancestors as the classic statement of TUU's sound - their most balanced and fully rounded outing.

I agree..The best album with TUU. Terma is the next best album I think.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 08:54:52 AM »
My personal TUU favourite is 'The Frozen Lands' 3" Cd release on the Amplexus series - Very ambient, dark deep space sounds.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 10:24:59 AM »
As great as TUU were, I suspect they didn't sell too many records and perhaps keeping it going was not financially in their best interest.  The tribal ambient craze hit its peak in the mid-90's.  People like Jorge Reyes aren't churning out the tribal ambient either, in fact he went on to score film soundtracks, more lucrative by a mile.  I would be surprised if TUU produced something new.  All we can do is hope. :-)

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 08:30:52 PM »
As great as TUU were, I suspect they didn't sell too many records and perhaps keeping it going was not financially in their best interest.  The tribal ambient craze hit its peak in the mid-90's.  People like Jorge Reyes aren't churning out the tribal ambient either, in fact he went on to score film soundtracks, more lucrative by a mile.  I would be surprised if TUU produced something new.  All we can do is hope. :-)

Ditto on what you wrote, but Tuu's music really was evolving away from pure techno-tribalism.  If we go back and listen to Mesh or Terma, we'll only find a couple of tracks with percussion per album.  The direction they were headed- flutes, singing bowls, gongs and synths, would sound great on any number of current labels. 

Sure financial issues probably contributed- some of the most well known names are doing lots of soundtrack work (Lisa Gerrard).  Since Tuu was Martin Franklin and whoever collaborated with him, it would be cool if he teamed his undisputed talents with the likes of a current, active musician in ambient.  I read an interview done about 10 years ago, and it seemed as if Franklin had a lot on his plate, and when asked about the future of Tuu, you could tell it was up in the air, and he wanted to go more electronic in the sound.  If anyone's interested:  http://www.spiderbytes.com/ambientrance/franklin.htm

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 09:28:30 PM »

I agree..The best album with TUU. Terma is the next best album I think.

Seconded with emphasis.

Trippa

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 05:16:08 PM »
Gentlemen,

Found your thread from the hits to my web site. It's an unusual and wonderful thing, but I really am very touched that you all still remember what we did with TUU, and I thank you all for your memories. It was always more than just a band for Mykl and myself, pretty much our lives really. But times change and one has to respond to that in order to grow and, well, in these days, just get by sometimes.

Reading that old Ambientrance interview was interesting, makes me feel how much our lives have changed since then. In most ways, I wouldn't want to go through the last 10 years of my life again, but as one gets older, change becomes an irresistible force. I suppose it's the reality of death  and, at times I've felt surrounded by death and darkness on all sides. I still believe that artists have a role to manifest Creation upon the Earth, and my life is still pretty much devoted to the world of art and music, though I'm alot more cynical than I was in 1998, but that's experience for you. Although we may not have been able to give you more TUU stuff, we always did say, we wanted to be contemporary with our times, and that means embracing change.

I can tell you now, that TUU and my other projects sold more records than most people in our field, but again, we find that no one sells as many records now as 5-10 years ago - the entire music ecosystem has been exploded since then. My response was to retreat from the unworkable methods and practices of record labels and to try to begin issuing new music myself as limited edition releases in a personalised form. In some ways, I'd like to be able to make that same music, but my life and the World are not the same as in those times. In order for Art to retain it's status, I believe it must be alive and relate to the times in which it exists. Thus, the work I produce now is relative to this idea.

Loren, your comment about my website made me laugh. I feel the same about artists websites that are not updated very often myself, but, man, I've been busy! I've just had installation work included in 2 art exhibitions, am organising a new sound art event soon (with Eno/Toop/Thomas Koner collaborator, Max Eastley), have a little new stuff out with Melt 2000 - and have been remixing some great old tracks for a forthcoming release on the Russian, Faria label.

I'm still out here doing what I can, and those of you with an interest will be able to find, via the web, what that is.
Hurrah for the Hypnos forum!

....M

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 06:14:59 PM »
You gotta love it when that happens.  It's like on Happy Days, when they'd be talking about someone famous, and that someone just happens to walk in, to a cheering audience.

That aside, I'm off to check out some TUU now, after that thread.

Listen to deepspace here: http://deepspacehome.com

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 12:51:48 AM »
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree! Nice to see the big man drop in here!!! Now if only we'd get a visit from O YUKI CONJUGATE, I will have died and gone to heaven...

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 11:05:25 AM »
Loren, your comment about my website made me laugh. I feel the same about artists websites that are not updated very often myself, but, man, I've been busy!

I know what you mean Martin, if someone were to just look at my website they would probably say the same thing, but as I write this I have five different projects going on, not to mention my day job. I guess that means we should both at least keep our update date up to date.  ;D

Gook luck with all your projects, and if someday you need a little gamelan heat for your frozen lands, let me know.  :)
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 11:19:16 AM »
Great that Martin stopped by here -- I recall this happening with other artists in the past, coming by and saying "a friend of mine sent me a link to this discussion about me here" or something like that. 

I can say that I've really enjoyed all the TUU that I've heard.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

nuun

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 03:43:50 AM »
Hi,
The purpose of Martin is quite interesting, especially about how the market and the industry changed.
I do agree in some parts.
But anyways, has "ambient" music been really a top seller genre ?
It's no popular music, but a world wide circle of connaissors, who really love and live these musics.
These connaissors are keen on pretty layout in connections with the contend.
These connaissors don't consider music as a market product, available for free, but as it is : art and human behind the art.
There is respect for the work and the spirit in wich this art-work has been done.

Maybe am I wrong and naive, but I personaly don't feel that ambient people do download music freely (through p2p) just to collect it and place it on a mp3 player.
As an Ambient Youth member, I like :
- nice music
- take time to listen to this music
- nice cover and packaging
- real material support (CD, Vynil) because this music based on sound and surround ambience DESERVES a full HI FI installation.

There are also well established artists-labels like Steve Roach or Alio die / Hic sunt leones.
Then, there is a place for quality structures like Hypnos, who aim to develop this music, promote new artists.
There is also place for well established artists to come back and offer new stuff.
CD-R and streaming are not the only low cost alternatives to official CD and their high costs.

A reknowned project like TUU can release official music in limited editions.
Remember O Yuki Conjugate who released their great "euphoria of disobedience" only through pre-orders, more than 10 years after their last release.
So yes, the market has changed, in bad ways and in good ways too.
The "ambient community" has some haven, like hypnos forum, where exchanges, communications are intense.
This community gets stronger with internet, maybe not wider, but hasn't disappeared.
It also expands in the east, via labels like Farya, Vivo, Nextera.  New opportunities to meet new people.
And that's great.
And someting tells me that Mike wouldn't be against getting TUU in his catalogue :-)

Come back Martin, we're expecting you.

Nuun