Author Topic: kenji siratori  (Read 8616 times)

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
kenji siratori
« on: September 22, 2008, 05:11:00 PM »
i bid on a cd batch (something like $10 for 4 discs) and got them today. all are by kenji siratori, a japanese artist who does some awesome dark ambient with some slight noise elements. this is some first rate stuff that would appeal to fans of lustmord, rapoon, lull and true color of blood, among others. very nice stuff and highly recommended!
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

drone on

• View Profile
Re: kenji siratori
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 06:10:11 PM »
I have "Callous Cell" released on Oophoi's Umbra label, and it is excellent surreal (and not too dark) ambient.

Campus Stellae

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 01:40:34 AM »
I have just released another Kenji Siratori disc on Umbra, entitled "Inside the Rabbit": it is another fine excursion in deep ambient/experimental structures. This artist deserves more attention, IMHO.

Thaumogenesis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 10:34:51 AM »
He's an attention grabbing hack. If you want the definition of a hipster, he's it.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 03:19:40 PM »
He's an attention grabbing hack. If you want the definition of a hipster, he's it.
ok, so what does that have to do with his ability to make great dark ambient music? some of the most self-absorbed and self-promoting musicians are among thos most revered by music fans everywhere. (ie, we are more popular than God, attributed to john lennon discussing the beatles. luciano pavarotti is a pompous asshole from most accounts i have read/heard.)
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Trippa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 05:18:05 PM »
He's dead, Jim

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 08:37:10 PM »
He's dead, Jim

Thought for a second there that you were a Star Trek fan...

A few years ago, I received a strange brief email from a person who identified himself as Kenji Siratori, and who was apparently looking for persons to remix his experimental poetry.  I know of least two others who received the same email.  I have 3" by him in a dark ambient called "Melancholic Lobotomy" that is not bad, but has some unpleasantly provocative artwork that made think of SPK and Whitehouse (a drawing of a person holding a severed head).

Forrest

Thaumogenesis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 12:52:45 PM »
^^ That's a prime example of what I'm talking about. He literally does that with everyone in the 'scene,' trying to stick his nose into anything and everything, when the guy really brings nothing to the table.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
He's dead, Jim
i know that lennon is dead. is pavarotti dead, too?
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Undershadow

Exuviae

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 08:56:03 AM »
WOW! The timing of this thread couldn't be any more perfect-given the nature and location of these posts…SO…without further ado:

http://www.hypnos.com/smf/index.php?topic=1143.0

.b

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 09:00:48 AM »
Hey Brooks, you should've called it "Attention Grabbing Hack Hipster meets Exuviae"! heh heh

Exuviae

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 09:05:29 AM »
Hey Drone On-

Or, if I'm real lucky...Exuviae will now be known the world over as "The Definition of a Hispter" !

.b

Hana

• View Profile
    • snowblood
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 08:17:27 PM »
I know of least two others who received the same email

That's a prime example of what I'm talking about. He literally does that with everyone in the 'scene,' trying to stick his nose into anything and everything, when the guy really brings nothing to the table.

In Europe SIRATORI is well known for his (bad) behavior. Two years ago he sent a message "I like your music, I want to collaborate with you" to every projects on myspace labeled as industrial or dark ambient. The truth is he doesn't care about these people, he just wants his name on a release. It can be a crap CDR or a pro CD, working with a good or bad projects, it doesn't matter to him. I think he has a deep freudian complex, he needs a "big" list of collaborations ;)

For the ones who might not believe me, please have a look by yourself

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Kenji+Siratori

I know at least 20 people who received the same email. He also wrotes me two times: two years ago because he wanted to collaborate with me as a musician, a few month ago because he wanted me to release his new CD / a very boring shit btw.

Take Care

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 08:51:43 AM »
It appears as if Siratori's releases in 2007 and 2008 give new meaning to the world "prolific."  And 2006 was bad enough...
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 11:36:34 AM »
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Kenji+Siratori

This guy's got one of the most entertaining to read discographies anywhere.  Just the album/label titles alone are priceless.  It's almost as though he's doing Gysin cut-ups with a scant selection of fifteen or so "dark" words.  Awesomely bad.  ;D

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 12:08:47 PM »
Wow!   I hadn't clicked on the discogs list until just now and...  um....  wow.

The discogs write up seems to say it all...

Born March 13, 1975, in Chitose, Hokkaidō, Japan, Kenji Siratori is a cyberpunk author and internet self-promoter. He first gained attention in 2006 by writing to as many industrial, ambient, EBM and goth bands he could find, including "reviews" of them in his idiosyncratic style, and asking to collaborate. His scattergun approach proved successful, despite his reviews of non-sequitirs and non-sensical cyberspeak being interchangeable, and a slew of collaborations from flattered musicians were soon foisted upon the world.
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Thaumogenesis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 03:50:10 PM »
Note he was also sacked as a 'reviewer' for that site.

'Internet self promoter' just about says it all...

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 10:05:40 PM »
That discogs entry is pretty funny.  Odd that so many folks took the bait.  Maybe Siratori is really a computer program or virus.  His poetry certainly does not pass the Turing test.  I think we may have a rough model for creating extensive discographies in the future...why waste time creating music when you can contract it out?

Forrest

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 10:28:20 PM »
Kenji Siratori is the most fascinating writer I have never been able to read. Your idea about him being a computer program or a virus is genius, Forrest; I was thinking he (it) was some kind of construct, like something out of a William Gibson novel. His output and textual presence is insane enough not to be written off as pretentious. Indeed, his text is unreadable, undigestible, but a page of his text, if you just skip around reading randomly, actually creates something more like a painting, or actual visual enjoyment, other than narrative.

Has anyone ever seen this guy play live? Or spoken to him, actually heard his voice? There is a strange collaboration on a Contagious Orgasm track, where Siratori's voice is extremely warped, to the point where I cannot tell if he is speaking Japanese or unaccented English. This has led me to my own pet theory, that Siratori is actually the British extreme writer James Havoc. Havoc supposedly disappeared in 1999 during a drinking binge in Japan, after eleven days of consuming Asahi beer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Havoc

Siratori is said to be born in Hokkaido, and living in Sapporo, of course another world famous Japanese beer brewer.

Havoc resurfaces as Siratori's "editor" http://www.amazon.com/Acidhuman-Project-Kenji-Siratori/dp/1840681179, while no other information on him is available. Before 1999, he had been associated with Creation Books, had been writing and making music. Suddenly this stops and "Siratori" is putting out tons of music and writing...

Hmmm.....