Author Topic: Aube "Le Syndrome Aquatique" and "Metal on Metal"  (Read 1647 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Aube "Le Syndrome Aquatique" and "Metal on Metal"
« on: September 25, 2008, 01:15:31 AM »
Any Aube fans here? These two reissues, both double CD's, look interesting, but I'm wondering how "noisy" they are, some of his stuff is pretty harsh. 

cvac

• View Profile
Re: Aube "Le Syndrome Aquatique" and "Metal on Metal"
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 08:09:45 PM »
I know this an old thread, but since no one responded, I thought I could reply.

I had the original album of which "Le Syndrome Aquatique" is the reissue from. It's not harsh at all. Pretty soothing actually. Perhaps not the most complex stuff out there, but it's soothing sampled water sounds (i.e. from field recording), with some gentle processing. Not new agey though. I've not heard the disc in years but I remember liking it a lot when it first came out. I had another Aube disc called "wired trap" that was quite harsh, but I enjoyed it a lot too.

Another "noise" artist that works with natural sounds who I really like (perhaps more than Aube based on what I've heard) is Daniel Menche. I have "field of skin" and "screaming caress" and I think both are quite good and very interesting. "Field" is the one you want if you're trying to avoid harsh, but if you're up for something a little noisier, definitely get the other one two. I've not heard much of his other work, unfortunately. Right now, I believe Soleilmoon has both discs for $4 or $5. I don't think you can go wrong for that price.

ffcal

• View Profile
Re: Aube "Le Syndrome Aquatique" and "Metal on Metal"
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 10:54:15 PM »
I'm not familiar with the two-disc reissue, but I used to have the original release of Metal de Metal.  It was more ambient than I expected, probably not as harsh as his other output in the 90s.  It came sandwiched between two pieces of finely cut metal, a really nice artpiece.

Forrest