Author Topic: Fear Falls Burning/Dirk Serries/vidnaObmana  (Read 9126 times)

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
Fear Falls Burning/Dirk Serries/vidnaObmana
« on: September 27, 2008, 05:25:29 PM »
Two very exciting sounding new releases from Mr. Serries:

http://www.tokafi.com/news/dirk-serries-immortalises-himself-microphonics/

A description of the Microphonics upcoming album on the vidna website:

http://www.vidnaobmana.be/index2.html

I've been recently getting into Fear Falls Burning even deeper, with the amazing, mind-blowing "Frenzy of the Absolute" album. Just blew me away on multiple levels. And there is also the fascinating sense that the FFB and VO musics are somehow coming full circle to each other. One could be a fan of just FFB or just VO, but having known VO very well from the past has enhanced my listening of FFB very much; it is so strange and delightful to hear the VO sensibility come through a completely different and almost diametrically opposed style of project.

I have to say though, that I am not a user of vinyl, and I will be missing out on the above mentioned new releases. Perhaps they will come out on cd someday, or I will raise the money to get a nice record player, but until then I will be further immersing in "He Spoke in Dead Tongues" and "Frenzy of the Absolute".

Also recently got the collaboration with Birchville Cat Motel, and it is very interesting, a single longform foray into the outlands of drone...quite a listen, very fun...

Joe R

• View Profile
Re: Fear Falls Burning/Dirk Serries/vidnaObmana
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 05:34:29 PM »
Somehow I could never get into Fear Falls Burning. Too harsh for me, I guess. And since I don't have a turntable, it doesn't really matter.

I really love Vidna's old stuff, like Memories I and II, Terrace Of Memories, and Soundtrack For The Aquarium. Also the collabs with Steve Roach, and his tribal masterpiece, Crossing The Trail... And River Of Appearance, and The Four Fusion Works... and Surreal Sanctuary and Tremor... I guess I love most of 'em. ::)

But you gotta admire his quest to explore new territories. He's not content to revisit familiar formulas, he's always pushing the envelope.

spunknik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 03:28:56 PM »
Alot of his vinyl releases are coming out on c.d.with extra trax.I find the music very soothing in a disturbing kinda way.He's also got two or three more side projects coming out on Tonefloat.

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 05:53:26 PM »
Somehow I could never get into Fear Falls Burning. Too harsh for me, I guess. And since I don't have a turntable, it doesn't really matter.

I really love Vidna's old stuff, like Memories I and II, Terrace Of Memories, and Soundtrack For The Aquarium. Also the collabs with Steve Roach, and his tribal masterpiece, Crossing The Trail... And River Of Appearance, and The Four Fusion Works... and Surreal Sanctuary and Tremor... I guess I love most of 'em. ::)

But you gotta admire his quest to explore new territories. He's not content to revisit familiar formulas, he's always pushing the envelope.

I would agree that FFB is very strange, like an alien language, and harsh. Though it is so lovely, and out there, and it is actually a language that can be learned, that has a true logic and deep thought behind it. An album like "He Spoke in Dead Tongues" is liquid bliss, entrancing, and completely in another world of sound. I do very much admire Mr. Serries for setting off on a completely different path, while staying true to his musical ethos. It is something that even the other top artists in the genre, however groundbreaking they are, don't seem likely to do. He is forging an exciting path, and for me it enhances the whole frame of ambient music. I think a big part of the appeal of FFB is that it is deep, intelligent, has a lot of thought behind it. I tried to get into stuff like SUNNO))) because I wanted ambient with a doom flair, but once you've been a fan of the music of Vidna/Oophoi/Troum/Roach/Rich etc... those attempts by rocker dudes to be all ambient just doesn't sound credible somehow. FFB fills the gap, and more...it seems to be all about sonic and mental/spiritual freedom, completely unleashing...

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 02:44:36 PM »
Was listening to 'infinite sea of sustain' earlier. FFB is definitely a new path for him and definitely deserves a listen with lots of attention.

Joe R said "He Spoke in Dead Tongues" is liquid bliss, entrancing, and completely in another world of sound. - a little sentence that is like getting an entrancing smell of cooking as going into a restaurant, sets the aural taste buds going overtime....

vidnaObmana

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 05:21:56 AM »
Thank you, guys, for the kind comments on my music and 'frenzy of the absolute' specifically.  I didn't visit the forum for a while so when I checked it today I was pleasantly surprised to see a topic on my fear falls burning project.
I know that for many of my vidnaObmana fans fear falls burning is rough, noisy and overall atonal but I'm glad to read here that you're looking beyond its initial layer and that there's much more going on and the gap with vidnaObmana (not that I like it that much  ;) ) is smaller than you might think at first.

Much appreciated, the quest will continue !

www.dirkserries.com
tonefloatikon.bandcamp.com
newwaveofjazz.bandcamp.com
fearfallsburning.bandcamp.com

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 08:51:29 PM »
The collab with Birchville Cat Motel is raging out of the speakers, like a torrent of sentient lava. It strikes me that this music is primordial...as if trying to imagine life forms in the alien muck stirring forth at the touch of lightning. Totally amazing and unmatched anywhere. Giving serious thought to picking up the Nadja collab at my local record store tomorrow; very eager to hear what that album does...

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 04:16:27 PM »
bump!
i have really been getting into some of dirk's new stuff - the ffb music can be rough on the first listen but it grew on me real fast. he spoke in dead tongues is a great set.
i also picked up 2 of his discs with klinik 7 - wow! outrageous and cool in a very harsh sense! not typical vidna obmana but it does strike home.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 05:51:11 PM »
Very much in agreement on all you say, Jim. Dead Tongues is an amazing work, and with some initial patience, many rewards await. The two Klinik collabs are amazing works, will just blow away anyone who gives them a chance. I guess they could be classified as techno but they go beyond that to a psychedelic level, a power-journey of building beats and atmospheres...it's the way it builds up that just blows me away!