Author Topic: itunes question - MP3 conversion?  (Read 3362 times)

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
itunes question - MP3 conversion?
« on: October 07, 2008, 10:51:07 PM »
I've been burning my CD collection to MP3 for use in my Dell DJ; the collection is getting pretty large, so I'm upgrading to an iPod classic.  Meanwhile, I've purchased 3 CD's (well, not cd's per se, more like 'releases' or 'titles' I guess) from itunes.  I haven't bought the ipod yet, and am trying to load the mp3's onto my Dell player, but since they're 'protected', I can't.  I know i can burn them to CD, then re-rip them to mP3, but is there an easier way?  Seems like a pain in the ass (and a waste of cdrs); is there a freeware program that can make a conversion?

I was apprehensive about buying a "virtual" release; I suspect this will be my last time...
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

ffcal

• View Profile
Re: itunes question - MP3 conversion?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 12:05:20 AM »
Don't know if this will work, but you might try right clicking the track(s) in iTunes and selecting the "convert to mp3" option.  I know that this works for converting .wav files to mp3.

Forrest

SunDummy

• View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 07:27:48 AM »
I tried that, but it says "protected files cannot be converted".

Damn...
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 10:01:27 AM »
That's too bad.  There's db Audio powerAmp, but it's not freeware and may not be worth the $ if you only have a few files to convert.  Maybe there's some time-limited shareware out there that will do it.

Forrest

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 12:13:12 PM »
I'm pretty sure the iTunes store uses the proprietary Apple format MP4/AAC, which is only playable on compatible devices.  Not sure if things made by other companies (Zune, for instance) play these files.  I'm guessing this is Apple's way to prevent piracy—the tracks can only be played on a limited number of authorized computers, etc.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 01:35:34 PM »
I think Brian's right -- if you bought tracks from the iTunes store they're probably AAC format.  Right-click on the track in your iTunes application and select "get info" then look at the "Summary" tab to see what kind of file you have.

If so then iTunes will not let you convert the files into a different format but you can get a 3rd party converter to make copies of the files that will play on another device.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Undershadow

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 01:45:11 PM »

Try converting the files with Easy CD-DA Extractor:

http://www.poikosoft.com/

SunDummy

• View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 10:32:55 AM »
Thanks Undershadow; I tried that, and it worked on one out of three releases I got through Itunes.  For some reason, the files for two of the releases say "Mpeg-4 audio file (protected)", while the one that worked just has "mpeg-4 audio file" as the file type.  The "protected' ones won't convert.

Oh well, looks like I'll just burn them and re-rip.  I won't be buying from itunes again.

www.sundummy.com