Author Topic: Rudy Adrian's new Lotuspike CD  (Read 1918 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Rudy Adrian's new Lotuspike CD
« on: October 16, 2008, 06:02:40 PM »
Hello, yesterday I was surprised to find in a local record store a new Rudy Adrian disc, "Desert Realms," on Lotuspike.  After the first few listens, I am somewhat underwhelmed.  Similar to Moonwater I guess, ambient floating stuff with flute on some tracks, no sequencers.  Big problem I have is it doesn't make me think of desert landscapes!  A lot of the sounds seem borrowed from "The Healing Lake."  Good album but if you have his previous albums like Twilight, Healing Lake, Moonwater, etc., may be somewhat redundant.  At the same time also picked up the Lotuspike disc by Craig Padilla/Zero Ohms, "Path of Least Resistance," which I was hesitant about a couple years ago due to reading it had woodwind instruments on it but they are very subtle, and this has some first-rate cosmic sequencer music and a big Tangerine Dream-inspired sound.     

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
Re: Rudy Adrian's new Lotuspike CD
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 09:14:15 AM »
while i agree that this is not desert ambience in the guise to which we are accustomed, i still find it to be a very likble cd and i can hear where rudy hears/projects the images of the desert in his interpretation. it is not roach or tuu - but who is? - but it is worthy minimalism and a nice sedative.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

electroambientspace

• View Profile
    • Electroambient Space
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 11:20:35 PM »
Like Jim, I really enjoy this.  Check out my full review on my site in the CD Reviews section for the Nov-Dec 2008 issue.
Phil Derby
Editor and Publisher
www.electroambientspace.com

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 03:56:36 AM »
It's enjoyable but utterly forgettable and sounds like a number of other (better) albums in this style.  I love Rudy's stuff but this one is not one of his better works.