MUSIC, AMBIENCE AND SOUND ART > Music Gearheads Tech Talk

Intel vs AMD DAW

(1/4) > >>

deepspace:
Has anyone here had experiece with both Intel and AMD cpus in a DAW?
I have an AMD chip and am frustrated with how quickly it gets maxed out.  AMD just doesn't seem to be suited to sound.

I'm thinking of upgrading and going back to an Intel chip, probably a quad core.  And no, I'm not thinking of going mac. ;)
Any happy intel users here?  Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know about the benefits of dual versus quad core for DAWs?

APK:
This Sound On Sound article has some useful info
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan08/articles/pcmusician_0108.htm

I use a core two duo on my daw. Its excellent. I use Reaper.
I think some issues of multiple cores have to do with how well the daw makes use of them.

Ekstasis:
Intel will release the new CORE I7 in 5 days, it is said to be up to 50% faster then the current core 2 duo...

I am planning to buy this system and a lot of ram memory... in theory I got space for 16GB DDR3, and considering all software I use I would need so much...just wish it did exist 4GB modules for DDR3...

LNerell:

--- Quote from: deepspace on October 30, 2008, 04:15:36 AM ---I'm thinking of upgrading and going back to an Intel chip, probably a quad core.  And no, I'm not thinking of going mac. ;)
--- End quote ---

But Mac is Intel now.  ;D

mgriffin:
A great argument could be made for buying an Intel Mac, installing XP on it, and dual booting between XP and OSX.  You could use XP while you get comfortable with OSX and eventually you could reach full OSX enlightenment and recommend to people on internet forums that they're crazy for buying a new Windows box!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version