Author Topic: Steve Roach & Erik W°llo - Stream of Thought (2008)  (Read 7823 times)

Immersion

• View Profile
Steve Roach & Erik W°llo - Stream of Thought (2008)
« on: November 02, 2008, 03:05:40 PM »

Mp3 samples of the album can be heard on the link below.

http://steveroach.com/Music/discography.php?albumID=409

Thaumogenesis

• View Profile
Re: Steve Roach & Erik W°llo - Stream of Thought (2008)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 03:39:32 PM »
Looking forward to this. I thought Landmass was great.

Immersion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 10:17:08 AM »
Personally I am not sure what to think of it, it is certainly more experimental then usual..
Might not be one of his more deeper and transcendental albums though..time will tell..

sio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 11:17:28 AM »
I think those samples sounds quite exciting and seem to promise a dynamic and entertaining listening experience. It certainly sounds different from the recent output from Steve Roach, althought i can hear some recycled fractal grooves and some keys from "Blood Machine"...Can't wait for this one.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 05:07:05 PM »
quite a dilemma for me. i have not heard anything by wollo that i like and nothing by roach that i dislike. i will probably get it but hesitantly.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

avec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 06:19:01 PM »
hm, it sounds extremely interesting but I'm a little hesitant as well.  For one thing I'm completely strapped for cash.  19 different tracks may not leave much room for development of sound.  Maybe that's the point though?  I'll be looking forward to listeners reviews here.

bad cover art by the way

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 08:25:31 PM »
re: bad artwork. 

Ha ha! I agree totally, looks like some new agey yoga cover.  Nada Terma cover was sucky, too...

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 05:34:32 PM »
Some of those short samples are just delicious, but I'm curious if the album will work as a whole and how all those little seperate tracks are woven together, somehow.
I'm positive for now, if not only for the fact that it sounds like something quite different from Roach.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 07:07:58 PM »
quite a dilemma for me. i have not heard anything by wollo that i like and nothing by roach that i dislike. i will probably get it but hesitantly.

Hi Jim - Have you heard "Emotional Landscapes" by W°llo? It's quite beautiful.
Erik played the PiNG some years back and performed a great set. He's capable
of quite a wide variety of musical approaches. As for Steve - you don't need selling. ;)

Immersion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 08:06:29 AM »

michael sandler

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 05:27:20 PM »
I generally like drifting stuff more than drumming/tribal stuff, so that clip for Part 3 was great. I'm just putting Winamp on repeat and making it like one big drone piece.  :D  They should release a single. I don't see it on iTunes yet.

I wasn't too familiar with Wollo's music, so I checked out his website, and the clip of the string quartet is a nice surprise.

Mike S

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 11:26:46 AM »
Any more opinions on this one? I'm not sure yet...

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 04:00:30 PM »
there are some great steve roach deep ambient moments and some so so tangerine dream/klaus schulze type sequencer pieces. it is a bit uneven after one listen.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Immersion

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 06:52:35 PM »
Ah ok, yeah, never a good idea to mix too many styles I think, better to hold a specific focus of "something".
However, you can have highly transcendental experiences which are highly dynamic though..as long as their is a red line to follow and frame of mind...and does not go outside into to two totally unrelated worlds...

Well I really looking forward to hear this album, I still see potential in the album, but as said earlier, what really matters is how it all flow as an entity...

Mr.Eyeball

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 11:21:02 AM »
Just got my copy from the man himself... really diggin' it so far. I'm delighted to hear him do something a bit different. (and release it)

Immersion

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 11:35:25 AM »
I have been going through all Erik W°llo albums meanwhile...
He has done some great albums I must say...

Albums like "Emotional Landscapes" and "Blue Sky, Red Guitars"

Immersion

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 03:05:18 PM »
Been listening to Stream of Thought a couple of times now...
It took some time to grasp and to get a grip out of it. I am very impressed by the album,
it sounds very new and fresh, definitely one of Steve's most progressive albums, Roach and W°llo turned out be
a very successful collaboration, very progressive and fresh sounds...

Unfortunately this album is little uneven...all these fragments those not fit well together...I wish the album would not have so many parts, I would prefer them be more longer and focused..
However the whole album is filled with a stream of unique sounds...

I am quite sure that that this duo will make another album, I find it hard to see why they should not, cause I see so much potential in this duo. If they just could up with a concept cd that flows better and with less parts next time I think this could be totally amazing!

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 02:00:45 AM »
This is a great collaboration. They've melded their sounds quite well (though I don't actually know what Wollo sounds like). Been giving it frequent listens all weekend and am surprised by it. It is an excellent departure. I actually like all the weird changes that happen. They seem done deliberately and create a whole new feel amongst other albums. Fever Dreams 3 had some of those brief cuts, but of course this album is entirely different. Wollo adds something intangible but soulful, or maybe it is the combo of the two artists that gives this freshness. I wish Steve Roach would do more experimental collabs like this. I enjoy his solo work immensely, but I like how he seems to get sparked up and taken out of his comfort zone by a collaboration like this. As deeply creative and willing to journey outward as Roach is in his own work, I like the rogue element introduced by a collaboration. This album has a lot of soul, and is also straight up fun to listen to with all the cuts and changes.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 05:42:40 PM by 9dragons »

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 04:29:54 PM »
After first listening in bed with headphones I think a more appropriate title may be 'Stream of Random Thoughts'.
I was hoping they had achieved some sort of coherence, despite all the vartion, by connecting the fragments in a cool way, but actually it's just quick fade out/fade in.
Some of the fragments last quite some time, while others come and go very fast.... Indeed, much like actual thoughts. I guess that is the concept of this album, but I don't find it particularly enjoyable.
I really like some of the individual, longer fragments, such as the first and last one, but some of the 'transitions' and little fragments are just plain awkward.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 04:39:37 PM by DeepR »

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2008, 11:10:15 PM »
I got stuck in the airport for a long while and this was on my ipod. Listened to it quite a few times and I think it is a great album. Roach should be commended for not only stirring things up and getting a little weird with his sonic constructions, but making a great sounding and flowing album here. But I guess he would also be getting criticized if he'd stuck to the formula and played it safe, so he can't win with some fans...