Author Topic: Concession speech = classy  (Read 9422 times)

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
Concession speech = classy
« on: November 04, 2008, 09:47:09 PM »
No matter your political persuasion, or level of gladness/sadness with Obama's win, you gotta admit McCain's concession speech was impressive.  A very gracious way to end an ugly campaign. 

Hope this isn't too political, I just thought it was refreshing to see someone acting classy after all the nastiness.
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
Re: Concession speech = classy
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 08:14:37 AM »
Highly agree!
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 10:07:55 AM »
I thought both speeches were very good. The way a hard fought campaign should end.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 03:51:15 PM »
No matter your political persuasion, or level of gladness/sadness with Obama's win, you gotta admit McCain's concession speech was impressive.  A very gracious way to end an ugly campaign. 

Hope this isn't too political, I just thought it was refreshing to see someone acting classy after all the nastiness.
absolutely!
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Antdude

• Punch and Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 06:25:42 PM »
More importantly, now that the campaign is finally over, it's time to show our support for the new President. Half of us are elated, half of us are depressed (all of us are exhausted), but in the end, the citizens of the United States have a new Commander-in-Chief. Recriminations have to end. We have a country with serious issues that need our full attention. Let's give Obama a chance to show what he can do.

P.S. Bad news...I heard someone say, 'Today is the first day of the 2012 campaign.'  :(
I was just in my office and I heard a ruckus.

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 02:32:29 AM »
All ideology aside, I am very impressed by what happened yesterday in the US.  I haven't felt this way in years and just wanted to pass on my congratulations.  The US has made the world proud by this powerful demonstration of democracy.  I don't know if people in the US can feel it, but the rest of the world is very excited for them.  People here (in Australia) seem to have turned around from being absolutely negative to being hopeful again.  The feeling is in the streets- and it's a very tangible one too.  We had pretty much the exact same thing during our last election with the conservatives were voted out. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 02:35:26 AM by deepspace »
Listen to deepspace here: http://deepspacehome.com

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 08:36:19 AM »
Antdude quote:
More importantly, now that the campaign is finally over, it's time to show our support for the new President. Half of us are elated, half of us are depressed (all of us are exhausted), but in the end, the citizens of the United States have a new Commander-in-Chief. Recriminations have to end. We have a country with serious issues that need our full attention. Let's give Obama a chance to show what he can do.

[ post deleted by moderator for violation of forum rules ]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 09:09:23 AM by mgriffin »

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 09:08:17 AM »
OK, Oenyaw, maybe you didn't read any of the many warnings about veering into partisan territory and name-calling, so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and just edit your post, and not take any further action unless you do it again.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 03:32:16 PM »
Not really sure what I said that could be offensive, but then again, I tend to do that often.
Sorry. :-[

MarkM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 06:50:27 PM »
After all the name calling and losing so decidedly, you have no alternative but to go out with a classy speech.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 06:52:47 PM by MarkM »

Antdude

• Punch and Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 12:41:30 AM »
Not really sure what I said that could be offensive, but then again, I tend to do that often.
Sorry. :-[

Not sure what I said to provoke a negative response(I didn't see it), my only point was that whatever our personal preferences, the election is now behind us, and that it was time to look forward.

I'm looking forward to listening to Eluder's The Most Beautiful Blue. Great new title from Jason@Infraction.  ;D
I was just in my office and I heard a ruckus.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 09:15:36 AM »
Antdude, Oenyaw's response was not anything against what you wrote.

And Oenyaw, if you really don't remember what was problematic about what you wrote, harshly partisan commentary (no matter which party you're talking about) and personal attacks against politicians (even ones that the moderators don't like either) have been explicitly banned from this Forum.

The Hypnos Forum's moderators have been talking about re-opening the "Free For All" part of the Forum soon, but doing so under much closer and stricter moderator supervision.  I still have mixed feelings about this idea, as it gives me a stomach ache, literally, to think back to the nasty stuff that was taking place in the "Free For All" area before... but if we can keep a tighter control on inappropriate posts, and members who are trying to cross boundaries, then maybe it's worth doing.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 10:31:58 AM »
Antdude, Oenyaw's response was not anything against what you wrote.

And Oenyaw, if you really don't remember what was problematic about what you wrote, harshly partisan commentary (no matter which party you're talking about) and personal attacks against politicians (even ones that the moderators don't like either) have been explicitly banned from this Forum.

The Hypnos Forum's moderators have been talking about re-opening the "Free For All" part of the Forum soon, but doing so under much closer and stricter moderator supervision.  I still have mixed feelings about this idea, as it gives me a stomach ache, literally, to think back to the nasty stuff that was taking place in the "Free For All" area before... but if we can keep a tighter control on inappropriate posts, and members who are trying to cross boundaries, then maybe it's worth doing.

I am 100 percent oppposed to re-opening the Free-For-All section unless it's literally free for all. No offense, Mike, but just keep it closed. We already have a non-music forum "Everything and Nothing" so why open one for other topics if it's going to be so tightly moderated? One, you and APK and other mods don't need the hassle. Two, if you're going to maintain such tight control on it, it's not worth it, IMO. People cannot discuss politics, religion, sex, etc. without getting passionate.

My two cents: IF (a big IF) you want to re-open it, put a disclaimer on it somehow, stating "This is an unmoderated section of this forum. Do not visit here if you are offended by flame wars, personal attacks, passionate views, and controversial opinions. The moderators are not responsible for what goes on here and will not respond to complaints. If you are easily offended, simply don't view these topics."

I'm not espousing that you DO do this, Mike, but if you DO decide to do it, policing it will only make more work for you and in the end the same thing that has happened will happen anyway.

So, leave it be. People don't like it not being here? Fuck 'em (sorry but have a nice day). A Free For All section has to be uncensored or what's the point? Purely IMO, the people who ruined the previous Free For All are NOT the ones who got abusive, it's the ones who ran to you like you were their father. What's up with that? Have the guts to call someone out yourself if they're offending you. If I'm on a public bus and some asshole is being a dickwad, I'll either get off the bus (not read the Free For All Section) or tell him to STFU myself (caling out a poster who is being a dick). I sure as hell ain't running to the bus driver unless the dick is waving a gun around.

Sorry for my rant...but that's my take. Hopefully, you will know I support any decision you and APK make, regardless whether I agree or not. More than anything else, it's your forum to run how you want, but I do have my own thoughts on the subject, too.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 10:52:50 AM »
Of course, a new section could perhaps be added to the Wide Wide World section for politics, doesn't have to be a Free For All section where "anything goes" (that is asking for problems).
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 11:50:34 AM »
Man this is gettin' AWESOME!!!  We can have a side-category where people type nothing but periodically "GRIFF-IN, GRIFF-IN, GRIFF-IN, GRIFF-IN", and then Mike can come into the forum every evening and close things with his Final Thought...   ;D ;D

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 11:54:50 AM »
Right, because so clearly the Hypnos Forum is all set up for my own self-aggrandizement.

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 12:05:25 PM »
Right, because so clearly the Hypnos Forum is all set up for my own self-aggrandizement.

I don't think Jerry Springer tells his audience to yell "Jerry!".

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 12:51:10 PM »

I am 100 percent oppposed to re-opening the Free-For-All section unless it's literally free for all. No offense, Mike, but just keep it closed. We already have a non-music forum "Everything and Nothing" so why open one for other topics if it's going to be so tightly moderated? One, you and APK and other mods don't need the hassle. Two, if you're going to maintain such tight control on it, it's not worth it, IMO. People cannot discuss politics, religion, sex, etc. without getting passionate.

My two cents: IF (a big IF) you want to re-open it, put a disclaimer on it somehow, stating "This is an unmoderated section of this forum. Do not visit here if you are offended by flame wars, personal attacks, passionate views, and controversial opinions. The moderators are not responsible for what goes on here and will not respond to complaints. If you are easily offended, simply don't view these topics."

I'm not espousing that you DO do this, Mike, but if you DO decide to do it, policing it will only make more work for you and in the end the same thing that has happened will happen anyway.

So, leave it be. People don't like it not being here? Fuck 'em (sorry but have a nice day). A Free For All section has to be uncensored or what's the point? Purely IMO, the people who ruined the previous Free For All are NOT the ones who got abusive, it's the ones who ran to you like you were their father. What's up with that? Have the guts to call someone out yourself if they're offending you. If I'm on a public bus and some asshole is being a dickwad, I'll either get off the bus (not read the Free For All Section) or tell him to STFU myself (caling out a poster who is being a dick). I sure as hell ain't running to the bus driver unless the dick is waving a gun around.

Sorry for my rant...but that's my take. Hopefully, you will know I support any decision you and APK make, regardless whether I agree or not. More than anything else, it's your forum to run how you want, but I do have my own thoughts on the subject, too.

I don't have a problem with personal insults being deleted.  You can have a genuine, real and passionate debate without those things happening- for example you don't see the pundits or pres. candidates saying "fuck you" to each other or "don't ever reply to me again" kind of thing.  It just doesn't add any great value other than the circus aspect which some admittedly enjoy.  It seems like it will be difficult though, where to draw the line on some comments.  To agree with Bill somewhat, some political discussion will get heated and inflammatory, even if you're not talking directly to another poster, the poster is going to take it personally, and a sort of 3rd person name-calling easily arises.  But of course, the more the rules, the more work the moderator has to do.  Just look now how often Mike has pre-empted conversation since the free-for-all was closed.  There's the chance, though, that keeping it closed permamently will result in most of them line-crossers dropping out.  This is all of course provided the world of politics goes on smoothly for the next few years ;)

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 01:16:26 PM »
My $.02:

Forums that I visit where an anything-goes section works stick to one simple rule:  no personal attacks or insults.  Stick to the arguments, and feel free to get heated about the message; calling the messenger an idiot (or worse) because you disagree with the message is out-of-bounds.  If a poster breaks the rules, he's banned - end of story.  This makes it fairly easy for the moderator to keep the peace, and gives posters a clear line that they know they can't cross.  It also helps the board owner(s) avoid any potential legal issues related to harassment, slander, etc.  It's a compromise between total freedom for the posters, and creating a comfortable environment for healthy debate, and it seems to work.

I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 01:21:52 PM »

I don't think Jerry Springer tells his audience to yell "Jerry!".

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by the comment.  Though there has been a lot of moderator activity lately, in terms of warnings and deletions, it's actually something I'd rather not do.  Though I enjoy participating here, I'd rather see this place police itself, so that I could share opinions and ideas like any other forum member, rather than having to play the part of "bad cop."