Author Topic: Eluder - The Most Beautiful Blue CD (and download) available now on Infraction  (Read 4896 times)

Infraction

• View Profile
New release on Infraction, out now :

ELUDER - The Most Beautiful Blue CD
"The careful choreography of retreat and remotion is what Patrick Benolkin is about. So you wonít be surprised when walls within and without come down, dissolved by the drift inside The Most Beautiful Blue. The spectral soundfields of grey dimly charted by (free netlabel) debut Warm Warningís doleful drones and wan washes are opened up into miles-deep inner-zones, as under Infractionís curation true textural colours come through. Of the labelís fellow-drifters, Eluderís discreet field work and timbral questing place him closest to the ďgrexĒ methodologies of Adam Pacione, or perhaps a more abstract carpenter in an annexe to the sawdust and smoke-rooms frequented by Milieu. But Eluder music is characterised not by the sound of the bucolic or sylvan, or even the underground, but rather the submarine. The will-to-escape finds an effective scenographer in Eluder, who offers here a sonic solution in which thoughts, mirroring the musicís mood movements, may dissolve, float free, and finally submerge, without fear of being taken down." - Alan Lockett (e/i audio verite)
Edition of 485. [INFX 033]

Samples here : www.infractionrecords.com/audio.html
Available here in CD form : www.infractionrecords.com/shop.html
and also in mp3 form : www.infractionrecords.com/commercedl.html

Thank you,

Jason
infractionrecords.com

Joe R

• View Profile
Jeez, those samples sound nice...

Must order. Must order NOW.

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
Got the CD this week. Most excellent album, it'll be on my 10 best this year.
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

drone on

• View Profile
This album sounds very gloomy/depressing to me, like being trapped underwater in a coffin (gee what fun!)  The cover is nice but notice somebody's foot in the picture, as if they've just jumped off a bridge to their death and into..."the most beautiful blue."  I was pretty underwhelmed by my first couple listens.  It is well done but...not the most original ambient music I've heard (play some moody synth chords, add reverb, mix in environmental samples, etc.) But who knows, it may be the greatest thing I've ever heard tomorrow. 

Undershadow

This album sounds very gloomy/depressing to me, like being trapped underwater in a coffin (gee what fun!) 

I donít agree at all. For me, the mood is neither 'gloomy' nor 'depressing', but rather more varied and ambiguous.

The cover is nice but notice somebody's foot in the picture, as if they've just jumped off a bridge to their death and into..."the most beautiful blue." 

Iíd say thatís an overdetermined reading based on the above interpretive projecting of a mood of gloom/depression. The album has a very sub-aqueous kind of feel about it, sure, but the theme seems to me to be more about escape, retreat and remotion, so why couldnít this just be someone simply diving/swimming underwater?

I was pretty underwhelmed by my first couple listens.  It is well done but...not the most original ambient music I've heard (play some moody synth chords, add reverb, mix in environmental samples, etc.) But who knows, it may be the greatest thing I've ever heard tomorrow.

OK, well, that could be said about any number of recent ambient releases. Two points:
(i) anything can have that kind of rationalist dissecting game applied to it, breaking it down into parts in order to expose it as plain or lacking; the fact is that this is merely a reductionist description of how ambient music is made. The point is not how it is made, but what it becomes in terms of its effects on the listener; when parts are assembled they may come to life, and, in combination, take on an aspect and affect/effect thatís more than these discrete parts. Sure, they may not, for some people, as in this case, so then itís sufficient to conclude that drone onís observation about the insufficiency of this album simply comes down to a simple truism about how some things work for some people, and some things donít.
(ii) Originality is a much less important criterion today in judging the worth of a release than it was in a previous age where the context of production and reception of the art work (here, musical piece) meant a different order of artistic values. I wonít go on about this, but restrict myself to the observation that much of what we discuss on this forum would fall down if this criterion were among the principle measures of a releaseís worth. Or rather, again, if we want to reduce things, this is a matter of the subjectivity of aesthetic judgements: for me, originalityí isnít so important as other aesthetic criteria, whereas for some, like drone on, it appears to be.

Sorry to drone on, drone on.  ;)

avec

• View Profile
Give it another chance droneon.  I for one am really enjoying this one.  I also get the vibe of escape from it Undershadow and it doesn't feel too gloomy.  More peaceful than anything else.

Anyway, good album infraction and thank you eluder

drone on

• View Profile
I am listening again (as I type), and I think I better up my dose of Prozac.  You don't find this gloomy? Wow.  This one bummed me out more than the Cyclic Law catalog combined! Well, in addition to gloomy, it may be (besides Michael Mantra's last one) the most boring album in recent memory.  Undershadow's point, however, is well taken about a project's worth.  Remember, I did say this was well done.  I agree that just because something isn't original doesn't mean it's not good. I am just reacting to the art's effect on me personally.  Or, as Maurizio Bianchi would say: "The ineffectual efficacy of its intended impact negates my perceived reaction to subcompartmentalized dogmas." ;-)

michael sandler

• View Profile
I agree with drone on, at least based on the clips, that this is dark, gloomy, music. But that's not a bad thing. I disagree that it is like being trapped in a coffin, because that would be a panic-inducing circumstance, whereas this is so peaceful that I feel frozen in time and space. So maybe it is like being a ghost.

Mike S

Infraction

• View Profile
You don't find this gloomy? Wow.  This one bummed me out more than the Cyclic Law catalog combined! Well, in addition to gloomy, it may be (besides Michael Mantra's last one) the most boring album in recent memory.

I like the fact that it's being discussed.  You find it boring...gloomy...and a bit of a bummer?  I find that opinion fascinating.  I mean that. 

I obviously feel the opposite and I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise.  I think in the context of the album a track like 'brand new eyes' is extremely warm, just below the surface of the water, some amount of light being let in.  It's one of those tracks that crept in over time with me.  As I was initially listening to the first drafts of this recording it sort of passed by, uneventfully.  After track 1 and 2 were worked on a bit, the environmental sounds brought to the forefront some - and a definite theme was being established, I thought track 3 (Brand New Eyes) was a near perfect track.  The placement on the album, the sound as it sort of enveloped the room as the volume was pushed further upward.  There is a familiar feel to it, it's not groundbreaking, but it works on many different levels for me.   

Jason
infractionrecords.com

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page

(i) anything can have that kind of rationalist dissecting game applied to it, breaking it down into parts in order to expose it as plain or lacking; the fact is that this is merely a reductionist description of how ambient music is made. The point is not how it is made, but what it becomes in terms of its effects on the listener; when parts are assembled they may come to life, and, in combination, take on an aspect and affect/effect thatís more than these discrete parts. Sure, they may not, for some people, as in this case, so then itís sufficient to conclude that drone onís observation about the insufficiency of this album simply comes down to a simple truism about how some things work for some people, and some things donít.

Contentious words from someone who reviews music Undershadow! ;)

Just teasin'    I do agree with your words 100%.

As for the album, I very much like what I hear from the samples.  Going diving with an ipod playing this....that would be a kick.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 10:32:37 PM by deepspace »
Listen to deepspace here: http://deepspacehome.com

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
I'm really into this record as well, and, probably needless to say, I don't find it particularly gloomy or dark.  I can see how some might not dig itóI really loved that Northern CD on Infraction (which is similar in tone, it seems to me) but there were a few who weren't rubbed the right way about it around here.  It has a classic feel to it, very organic, and is that Captain Nemo's pipe-organ I hear now and again?

There aren't nearly enough marine ambient records for my liking, and I have to agree with deepspaceóthis would be a killer record to dive to.  I'd love to load this one on a waterproof MP3 player and go swimming with it, at the very least.

Joe R

• View Profile
Okay, here's my take on Beautiful Blue: it's not a cesspool of gloom and despair, and it's not one of the best ambient discs of the year. But it's pretty good. To me it's a little uneven, but when it works it REALLY works, as in Brand New Eyes, Via Starlight, The Path Presents Itself, and the deliciously mysterious Milemarker.

I think some of the tracks would be better served if there were less extraneous noise and static. In particular, Sea Swallows is unlistenable to me.  But all in all I'd say it's a fine album.

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
Any fresh takes on this one? I am kind of going back and forth with my finger on the Paypal trigger...I've definitely got the urge for some new music, but am very short on extraneous cash at the moment, and hence would like to aim it in exactly the right direction...

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
Any fresh takes on this one? I am kind of going back and forth with my finger on the Paypal trigger...I've definitely got the urge for some new music, but am very short on extraneous cash at the moment, and hence would like to aim it in exactly the right direction...

This IS the right direction...a gorgeous disc.