Author Topic: I am trying to imagine...  (Read 12761 times)

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: I am trying to imagine...
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 02:36:16 PM »
Xpander is not the flagship, Xpander is the "module" version of the Matrix 12, in other words, without a keyboard.

The Matrix 6 or 6R is fairly similar to the Matrix 12, but with fewer oscillators (6 instead of 12).  The Matrix 1000 has the same guts as the Matrix 6/6R but without any kind of front-panel programming interface -- it's mostly designed to be used with one of the 1,000 presets (hence the name) but if you go to the trouble of editing it via a computer interface, you can edit the Matrix 1000 patches just as well as you can edit the Matrix 6/6R patches.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 02:44:53 PM »
Xpander is not the flagship, Xpander is the "module" version of the Matrix 12, in other words, without a keyboard.

The Matrix 6 or 6R is fairly similar to the Matrix 12, but with fewer oscillators (6 instead of 12).  The Matrix 1000 has the same guts as the Matrix 6/6R but without any kind of front-panel programming interface -- it's mostly designed to be used with one of the 1,000 presets (hence the name) but if you go to the trouble of editing it via a computer interface, you can edit the Matrix 1000 patches just as well as you can edit the Matrix 6/6R patches.

Alright, so there is still the Matrix series that should be of most interest for me and my needs ?
So despite the difference in number of oscillators, they are the same soundwise ?
I am pretty sure 6 would be enough to begin with...otherwise there is ways around it...

I must say, I was kind of surprised when I saw you could program this synths through software, I really prefer to program it that way, always hate to read manuals etc, much easier to program on the computer.

I have actually found one guy in Sweden, who have a 6R for sale...how much do you think it is worth ?

And is there anything important I should be sure to ask ?
Like if he use all the original chips, or if he have changed to new unofficial chips..

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 03:14:11 PM »
Immersion - Here's some good info links for you:

Xpander - http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan98/articles/oberheim.htm

Matrix 1000 - http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994_articles/jun94/oberheimmatrix.html

(BTW - 2 slightly detuned Matrix 1000s (they're mono) can make very fat sounds - but as Mike said - you need an editor.)

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 04:03:21 PM »
I must say, I was kind of surprised when I saw you could program this synths through software, I really prefer to program it that way, always hate to read manuals etc, much easier to program on the computer.

I have actually found one guy in Sweden, who have a 6R for sale...how much do you think it is worth ?

And is there anything important I should be sure to ask ?
Like if he use all the original chips, or if he have changed to new unofficial chips..

A used Matrix 6R might be worth $200-400 or so.  I don't know what kind of questions you'd ask someone, other than "does it work?" -- there aren't a lot of user modifications you can do to those older synths.  If you buy one without having a chance to test it, when it arrives make sure all the buttons work, the display works, and all the sound outputs are functional.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

michael sandler

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 04:43:54 PM »
I'd love to hear "Reflections in Suspension" and "Structures from Silence" played on a piano. On a piano and a bit slower, they would sound a lot like Harold Budd.

Mike S

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2008, 02:33:17 AM »
I think it is also important not to just wait/search for the perfect piece of equipment before you start Immersion. I bought some mics in a second hand shop, sennheiser, and they seem pretty good. Get some mics that don't break your bank and start playing with recording, finding what field sounds interest you, what sounds you could use as a source for playing around with the reverbs and effects to create something you like. You at least then have an idea of what works and does not before you think about spending big amounts on them.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2008, 11:21:43 AM »

The Matrix 6 or 6R is fairly similar to the Matrix 12, but with fewer oscillators (6 instead of 12). 

The only similariity the Matrix 6 and Matrix 12 have is the name Matrix, the 6 is a completely different animal. The 12 has VCO's while the 6 has DCO's. The 12 has many different filter types, the 6 has one. The 12 has several dedicated controllers to change perameters and several large LED displays, the 6 had two incrumental buttons and one small LED display. The 12 was hand made in the factory in Los Angeles, the 6 was machine made in a factory in Japan and then shipped to Oberheim for final testing and distribution. I should know, I was the one who tested all those damn keyboards and racks back when they were new.  :P

As far as lineage here is what I know:

Xpander came first, its a 6 voice synth with no keyboard. The Matrix 12 was released the following year and is basically two Xpanders with a keyboard.

The Matrix 6 family is made up of the 6 keyboard, the 6R rack version and the one space rack Matrix 1000.

Then their is the X family which is made up of the OBX, OBXa, and the OB8. Their was also the OBSX which was a simplified non programmable OBXa. The OBMx is not related and is probably the last real Oberheim, the OB12 was made by Viscount and is a POS that is in name only an Oberheim.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 02:19:34 PM »
Loren - that was darn fun to read.  I had no idea you worked for Oberheim.
Back to the original topic - I have to agree with everyone who's tried to say that it's not the gear that matters. It's what you do with the gear you have.  Just because Steve Roach connects with certain gear and methods of working means only that those are the things and methods that work for him. 

You may connect with very different instruments.   If vintage gear floats your boat - by all means pick up some - check sales and pawn shops - etc...  Don't get too hung up trying to get the perfect gear - it's really not that important in the end. 
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 02:57:47 PM »
"Don't get too hung up trying to get the perfect gear - it's really not that important in the end."

Well, I'd have to disagree with this a fair bit, John.

Synths (for example) are not all the same, and can't all do what others can. Different complexities and abilities, different sound generators. And different working methods. The difference is, I think, quite significant.

Same sort of thinking for effects.
Same for percussion devices.

They are the tools of the trade, and you need what suits your temperament and artistic inclinations/desires. Not anything will do once you really get into it.

The right device, in the right hands. You need both.

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 05:00:53 PM »
Loren - that was darn fun to read.  I had no idea you worked for Oberheim.

Glad you enjoyed it. I worked for Oberheim in 1985-1986 right during that whole Matrix synth period. My main job was final testing for most of their gear. I probably got my hands on almost all of the Matrix 6, 6R, Xk, DMX, DX, and Prommers made during that time. I also assembled and tested midi upgrade kits for their DMX and OB8 machines and would once in awhile test Matrix 12's, Xpanders, and OB8's. Ive got lots of Oberheim stories I could tell.  :D
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 09:48:45 PM »
Ive got lots of Oberheim stories I could tell.  :D

Sounds like a thread I'd enjoy reading!  Stories O' The Oberheim

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 09:48:36 AM »
Ive got lots of Oberheim stories I could tell.  :D

Feel free to start a "Loren's inside stories at Oberheim" topic -- I'd be interested!

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2008, 06:52:16 PM »
Synths (for example) are not all the same, and can't all do what others can. Different complexities and abilities, different sound generators. And different working methods. The difference is, I think, quite significant.

Same sort of thinking for effects.
Same for percussion devices.

They are the tools of the trade, and you need what suits your temperament and artistic inclinations/desires. Not anything will do once you really get into it.

I find that all the synths, romplers, softsynths, softsamplers I've used over the years have alot to offer and all pull me in different directions, even the cheesiest ones.  :D  Same for guitars, amps and processors.

Steve

Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.