Author Topic: Layoffs, downsizing, retrenchment, whatever you call it  (Read 35439 times)

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
Re: Layoffs, downsizing, retrenchment, whatever you call it
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2011, 06:05:07 AM »
extremely good news!
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2011, 07:37:33 AM »
Excellent news!

Bill Binkelman

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2011, 09:13:32 AM »
I'm happy for you and I hope the job works out well for you. Must be quite a relief  - and kudos to you for hanging in there until your luck changed.
May the odds be ever in your favor.

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2011, 04:43:09 PM »
Thanks folks. Tomorrow is Day #1 for me at the new job. I am a bit nervous and excited at the same time! As long as my ezpass xponder works as I fly thru the tolls I'll be happy! Need to check traffic in the morning to make sure nothing bad on first day for orientation! Don't want to be late!

Mike

1000snakes

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2011, 10:11:02 PM »
Good for you Mike!

Best wishes, Kirk

cromag

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2011, 02:34:21 AM »
Best of luck on your first day!

WRT traffic:  I don't know what things are like where you are, but around my neck of the woods many major roads have webcams you can check.  Things can change fast, but I've found them useful.
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2011, 10:18:50 AM »
Congrats on the new job, and good luck on your transition!
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2013, 07:55:50 PM »
Laid off 3 weeks ago....again. But had 2 interviews (walk-ins) last week but they passed on me....buggers! But I had 2 phone interviews this week as well and am waiting to hear back from them. Now I have to collect NH unemployment which BLOWS since I am losing ~$201 a week since they pay that much less than MA unemployment. That means I need to find a job fairly quickly since I will be hitting my bank account to pay bills and eat (not too much but still have to vs with MA I wouldn't have to touch my bank account, just reckon with the tax man end of the year since I don't take taxes out as I'd be eating more of my bank account while not working otherwise....).

What bugs the shit out of me is a lot of the jobs are in Boston/Cambridge and it isn't worth the frickin hassle of a 2 hr commute each way to drive 30 frickin miles at this point. I'm looking outside the city and having some luck. I am hoping CSR or Hitachi interview me and pick me up in the near future as I don't care about driving to Burlington MA (2x miles but not near the headache of doing Boston or Cambridge) and I'm not a city person, i.e. public transportation or just going to Boston for doing something, too many idiots/parking/etc...

Wish me luck on landing something soon. Being out 3 wks and having 2 walk-ins and 2 phone screeners is a hell of a lot better than the last time I was laid off...still  not feeling warm and fuzzy and hope to god I don't have to put my place on market and sell it and move to an apartment/with the girlfriend as that'd really suck....I do want to sell at some point but when I am stable with work and have some money in the bank for a down payment on a house...

Mike

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2013, 08:13:16 PM »
Good luck!

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2013, 04:41:51 AM »
Hope you find something soon
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobos-ambient.moonfruit.com/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2013, 07:53:01 AM »
This is why I wish whomever within the government quit padding the numbers on unemployment, etc.....
They are telling us, the public that it is all peachy and rainbows, well, I call their bullshit.....
people are still looking for jobs. most have given up now and are economy is still pretty bad.....
whoever these government people are telling us that everything is looking up seriously need to take off their rose colored glasses and see the truth...
My girlfriend is still looking for a job here in Texas and supposedly they say Texas has the most job growth....
where oh where is the jobs then....:)

I wish you the best of luck man..
Twitter: ImagineerR
Facebook: www.facebook.com/einstein36

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2013, 04:43:27 AM »
I don't know if I ever posted about it... but I lost my job in October last year - suddenly... and hired into a new place April 1 this year.  I was fortunate to only be out of work about 6 months.  It was a long 6 months and job hunting is hard work.  I was extremely lucky - frankly I say I won the job lottery as I always say I won the wife lottery... ;-)

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2013, 11:14:10 AM »
Well it's coming up on 6 months in 5 more weeks. I've had a LOT of phone interviews, a bunch of walk-ins and recently round 2 on the phone with one company. Hoping they bring me in for a walk-in. Have another phone interview this afternoon and one late monday afternoon with yet another different company. Also waiting on word of a phone or walk-in with Sandisk after speaking with the recruiter last night. Lots of activity but no setting the hook (which is stressing me out). Had one possible but they passed on me (probably due to no network switch configuration experience or deeper linux/SQL) but it would have been dream job, work at home, go to california for training, go to Belgium to meet development group....MAN I WANTED THAT ONE SOOOOOO BADLY.

Keeping the chin up though and taking the hits in stride....still.

Mike

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2014, 07:46:07 AM »
Well here it is 2014 and still not back to work. Had 2nd interview yesterday for a job in state (they are based out of australia).  i am now working on getting a skype discussion about a job that came about since i posted in craigslist about looking for work. I also have a couple other things I am working on (one trying to get concrete info from recruiter about the position and possible interview with the CEO - that's the only interview for that job, me want to speak with hiim!). Hopefully something will hit soon as unemployment ran out (buddy hooked me up for a couple months or so so I didn't have to hit the 401k just yet).

Our leaders in Senate/House/Congress are assholes, they take 3 frickin weeks vacation and leave those of us in need in the lurch. They should be FIRED IMMEDIATELY or replaced in the next election, every damn one of those (dems/repubs) who screwed us. And they really need to come off the dole off our backs  when they retire and get to keep their existing medical coverage FOR LIFE and their kids going to school should NOT even be covered by us just because they are in politics. Wish I went into that shit instead of working joe....lol (sarcasm).

Mike

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2014, 09:57:34 PM »
[quoteOur leaders in Senate/House/Congress are assholes, they take 3 frickin weeks vacation and leave those of us in need in the lurch. They should be FIRED IMMEDIATELY or replaced in the next election, every damn one of those (dems/repubs) who screwed us.[/quote]  Ain't that the truth! >:(
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2014, 09:52:04 AM »
The REAL people in power are not the politicians, and these people have been orchestrating the collapse of US economy for years now.  This is not just a conspiracy theory.

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 08, 2014, 03:08:50 PM »
Yeah, the economy is still horrible. Hope you find a job Mike. I'm going to have to get one myself after I get out of grad school in May, and I don't have that much experience. It's hard to start a career in an economy like this. That's for sure.
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album available now!

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2014, 09:52:33 PM »
Thanks for the well-wishes. I had an interview yesterday (3-4 QA Engineers to be hired) so I am hoping I am one of them. I blew 2/3 SQL questions on a 7 page test (first hr of 2 hr interview), aced XML page, pretty much aced 3 pages of test cases. Waiting on word about interviews for at least 3-4 other jobs as well. But things picked up for me in the past 2 weeks so I am hoping something pops REAL SOON for me so I can relax a bit and feel a bit more secure on things. And I am also starting to try to get back into music stuff (Darkened Soul, but focusing on getting Mired In Twilight off the damn ground again after some years of nothing, got another musician friend who may sign up for things, we just have to decide where we are gonna go with the music/style).

Anyways, best to all and if in Guild Wars 2, see my thread on that to find me in game ;-)

Mike

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2014, 08:23:49 AM »
well still pounding the pavement BUT things have gotten busier here for me over the 2 weeks. I have had one walk-in (waiting on decision supposedly this week on who they are going to make an offer to), 3 phone interviews in past 2 days of which 2 may go to a 2nd phone interview with managers, the 3rd was with the VP of QA which means I could be brought in for an on-site interview. Today I have 2nd interview from a call last week where I knew someone there who put in some good words to the QA manager (who I spoke with last week). So hopefully something of these 4 will come to fruition soon! Fingers crossed (and legs/fingers)....

Mike