Author Topic: Spectrasonics - Omnisphere  (Read 8415 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Spectrasonics - Omnisphere
« on: November 13, 2008, 02:37:30 PM »
I know many people and veterans on this forum is against softsynths...but I really think that this synth gives us a glimpse of the future...it is really a huge step forward in the world of softsynths. It is not as revolutionary maybe as the advertising try to tell you, but it is definitely a very potent softsynth...

I have not had the opportunity to try this myself yet, but I have seen the 9 tutorial videos, so I am pretty sure what to expect.

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/omnisphere.html
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 02:47:18 PM by Immersion »

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
Re: Spectrasonics - Omnisphere
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 02:52:25 PM »
Yes, the fairly big update to Atmosphere.

Also not sure on the hype about it being a "glimpse of the future." (Native Instruments are MUCH better at that.) But yes, quality sound engine by the looks of it, plus many improvements over the rather limited Atmosphere engine, and of course a HUGE sample library. I suspect that, like Atmosphere, it will be a LOT of very big, complex presets that you will go "wow!" to, but never actually use unless you want quick "hold down one key" film-scores. And the price is also a tad high.

I was looking forward to it, looks very editable, but I'd wait to see if the price goes down and all the bugs get ironed out. There have been problems with the first generation.

You will, I think, get more bang for the buck with Native Instruments Komplete ... especially if you can find the reduced price on it.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 03:12:12 PM »
Yes, the fairly big update to Atmosphere.

Also not sure on the hype about it being a "glimpse of the future." (Native Instruments are MUCH better at that.) But yes, quality sound engine by the looks of it, plus many improvements over the rather limited Atmosphere engine, and of course a HUGE sample library. I suspect that, like Atmosphere, it will be a LOT of very big, complex presets that you will go "wow!" to, but never actually use unless you want quick "hold down one key" film-scores. And the price is also a tad high.

I was looking forward to it, looks very editable, but I'd wait to see if the price goes down and all the bugs get ironed out. There have been problems with the first generation.

You will, I think, get more bang for the buck with Native Instruments Komplete ... especially if you can find the reduced price on it.

This only a glimpse of the future...only the beginning...but maybe the new Alchemy synth by camel audio will be more "revolutionary" in that sense...then Ominsphere...

Yes I agree with you regarding Atmosphere, it is a joke, it's like they think we are stupid to make sound on your own, that is the main problem with the softsynths these days, they write the music for you! ..
The sound designers must have a very naive attitude towards us musicians or something..who cares about presets that sounds very cool solo but completely useless in practice...But I think people in genereal and software developers is slowly realizing this now..and focus more on the synthesis side instead... like for insance the "Alchemy" I did mention earlier..which seems very promising...

However after watching these Omnisphere it seems to be very different from Atmosphere in all regards, for instance..you do not need to use the sample library at all..you can choose between sample mode and synth mode in the oscillator, so it is a quite powerful synth with out the sample library... despite of what it all might look the surface, I see many creative possibilities with this synth..

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 08:57:58 PM »
I have tried Omnisphere today, the presets are kind of useless as usual atleast for music production, I am sure it fits better in film/media production, what I waste of time of Spectrasonics to make so many presets, instead that they should have put more energy to improve the ability to create OWN sounds within the Steam engine. However the Synth possibilities
is still very good, you can modulate/morph the sound in many many many ways. The filters sounds awesome.

I did a little ambient recording if anyone is interested to hear...
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tz3n5kje4nw

And excuse me of the click sounds, I will buy a new soundcard next month :)

caul

• View Profile
    • caul homepage
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 08:16:41 AM »
I bought and used atmosphere and loved it and omnisphere just blows it away. as far as bugs go, I haven't run across any. I'm not much of a tech oriented synth guy but omnisphere definitely has a lot of features that atmosphere didn't have, that I've barely toyed with so far. the sound library is, I'm guessing, one of the largest out of the box (50 gigs), so there's a lot to play with.

alchemy definitely looks interesting. It seems I read somewhere Robert Rich was going to do some presets for it. I wish some one would ask Lustmord to do some presets.

Brett

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 08:23:33 AM »
Alchemy is an excellent synth. No R Rich pesets, but Camel Audio have a habit of not giving you very many presets, then selling sets of them for more than I want to pay. Maybe RR will do a set later.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 08:49:42 AM »
I wish Omnisphere had no presets at all.
I think the menu "get a tate of omnipshere" is enough...

Robert Rich did prestes for camel audio in the past, for the synth Cameleon 5000.
Not sure if he did any for Alchemy.

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 05:41:47 PM »
I recently got Omnisphere as well.  It's interesting how Atmosphere had a "sound" to it, and I find that Omnisphere has it's own "sound".  I agree that a lot of the patches are too complex/busy to write music with (Atmosphere had the same problem), but I use them as a base and edit them to fit my needs.  Also, heavy reverb will smooth out the sharp parts.  The hard part is trying to make it not sound too much like Omnisphere, which I usually fail at.  haha.  Oh well, fun synth in any case.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 09:07:05 PM »
I recently got Omnisphere as well.  It's interesting how Atmosphere had a "sound" to it, and I find that Omnisphere has it's own "sound".  I agree that a lot of the patches are too complex/busy to write music with (Atmosphere had the same problem), but I use them as a base and edit them to fit my needs.  Also, heavy reverb will smooth out the sharp parts.  The hard part is trying to make it not sound too much like Omnisphere, which I usually fail at.  haha.  Oh well, fun synth in any case.

Yeah, the presets are way too processed, but correct me if I am wrong, I think that all the sound processing in the presets is done by the STEAM engine.
I think you could in that case disable all sound processing... and get access to the pure source sound...
For me only the source sounds is of interest, from the source I want to create my own sounds...
Yeah the reverbs are good in Omnipshere, unfortunately there is only 2 reverb types to choose from... but they sound smooth, but I will most likely prefer to use an impulse reverb instead...
As always with digital synth you need to process all the audio through analogue simulators like PSP VINTAGE WARMER 2 etc, this will in general cutt off most of the digital edges and produce a more warmer sound.

Spectrasonics has also promised that you will be able to import own wav files into the steam engine in future...

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 09:08:46 PM by Immersion »

Altus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 05:15:00 AM »
I haven't played too much with the effects within Omnisphere.  For now, I've been turning them off and using my standard tools.  On another note, I like the added information they include with the samples, such as how they produced the sound and with what synths, processors, etc.  You can tell a lot of love went into this tool.  :)
www.altusmusic.ca

caul

• View Profile
    • caul homepage
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 07:55:45 AM »
I haven't played too much with the effects within Omnisphere.  For now, I've been turning them off and using my standard tools.  On another note, I like the added information they include with the samples, such as how they produced the sound and with what synths, processors, etc.  You can tell a lot of love went into this tool.  :)

Yes, I've really enjoyed that as well. I like the way the recent update expanded on the organization and tagging of sounds. I don't think I'm going to get bored of this piece of software. Next I need to get a Kaoss Pad to use with FM8!

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 08:16:49 PM »
I did an recording this night... it has an atmosphere of nostalgia and yearning...almost painful feeling of distant times....perfect for rainy and dreamy days...

Since it is only an improvisation (did press play and record), and I plan to expand the ideas in this recording in the future, I will only let the link be up for 48 hours, then I will delete the link.

(link removed)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 11:36:06 PM by Immersion »

Altus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 05:20:49 AM »
Very nicely played.  A somber mood, which I love.
Have you considered playing on live show at www.stillstream.com?  They'd eat this stuff up.
www.altusmusic.ca

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 10:51:48 AM »
Very nicely played.  A somber mood, which I love.
Have you considered playing on live show at www.stillstream.com?  They'd eat this stuff up.

Hello Altus, thanks for your response

Never heard of stillstream, it looks interesting, I might send in something in future if I have recorded something that I think would fit.
Regarding this particular piece though, it is not complete yet, more modulation and layers needs to be added.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 11:30:18 PM »
I delete the song now above now (ambient 012)

Feel free to listen to my new ambient piece.
http://www.hypnos.com/smf/index.php?topic=1625.msg12999#new

caul

• View Profile
    • caul homepage
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 06:30:49 PM »
I delete the song now above now (ambient 012)

Feel free to listen to my new ambient piece.
http://www.hypnos.com/smf/index.php?topic=1625.msg12999#new

Beautiful work!

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 12:15:52 PM »
Thank you, I am glad that at least someone likes it :)

A better tittle might have been "Sleepless Nights"
Anyway, song titles have never been my strong side....