Author Topic: Maurizio Bianchi: any opinions?  (Read 2445 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Maurizio Bianchi: any opinions?
« on: November 16, 2008, 12:45:07 AM »
I put off investigating Bianchi's work as the little I'd read about him it sounded like he was a "harsh noise" artist.  Thanks to his Silentes album "Testamentary Corridor" and another Silentes disc w/Nimh called "Secluded Truths," both of which are very good ambient (albeit leaning towards the experimental side), I'm looking to investigate other releases.  Judging from his liner notes, he seems to be a real character, creating these impossibly obtuse statements (e.g. "Narrating of posteriority of future in this schizophrenic urbanity, my inner sensibility was touched by the extraneity of my spiritual expression from stereotyped and rhetorical religiousness, so devoted to the human uselessness and easily dazzled by the formal solemnity"--from the "Secluded Truths" liner notes). Any fans here?  Recommendations for other MB titles?   

Undershadow

Re: Maurizio Bianchi: any opinions?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 02:20:08 AM »
I have to say I’m not a fan (though I find his self-conscious use of language amusing in a  portentous/pretentious kind of way). It fell to me a couple of years ago to do a fairly extensive profile of the Silentes back catalogue, in the course of which I had the dubious pleasure of reviewing some of Bianchi’s releases (published at http://www.ei-mag.com/profile0007.php). Warning: it is loooooooong, and the appraisal of Bianchi is right at the end, but if anyone is interested in Silentes more generally, the profile contains consideration of a lot more:

Michael Mantra - Sonic Alter (Deepchord Remix)
Rod Modell - Vibrasound (The Deepchord Years 1999-2004)    
Rod Modell with Kevin Hanton - Illuminati Audio Science
Seele - Berlin
Rod Modell - Electromagnetic-Etheric Systems Approach
Alio Die - Suspended Feathers
Seamus - Forever
Opium - Sympathetic Flying Objects
Ontayso - Magical Tone Tricks
Michael Mantra - Boolean Languages (From Distant Lands Within)
Michael Mantra - A/B
Rod Modell Electromagnetic - Etheric Systems Approach
Katzo - Disposition
Waveform Transmission - V 1.0-1.9 (Silentes 10 Year Anniversary Edition)
Aube - Reworks Stefano Gentile
Maurizio Bianchi - M.I. Nheem Alysm
Aube - Reworks Maurizio Bianchi Vol. 1
Maurizio Bianchi - Niddah Emmhna
Nimh Subterranean Thoughts    
Nimh + M.B. - Secluded Truths    
Maurizio Bianchi - The Testamentary Corridor    
Aube - Reworks Maurizio Bianchi Vol. 2
M.B. + Nimh - Together's Symphony

http://www.ei-mag.com/profile0007.php

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 01:57:24 PM »
Thanks for the link.  An interesting read.  However, I was disappointed when the word "tableaux" did not appear even once in that article.

Undershadow

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 02:18:53 PM »
Thanks for the link.  An interesting read.  However, I was disappointed when the word "tableaux" did not appear even once in that article.

Damn, yes, you’re right. I don't know what I can have been thinking. Must've been distracted. I did, however, mention that “The Aube armory deploys quasi-incantatory reiterative sequences and sundry loop-strata in slow-mo collision, to create isolationist atmospheres through which move gradual accretions of transformative sonic masses.” I hope that might have been of some consolation.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 02:37:18 PM »
Ha ha ha!!! Good one.

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 04:27:26 PM »
I am not a big fan either: too harsh, too synthetic, mostly arythmic and not that experimental after all.

cvac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 08:21:25 PM »
The stuff MB did back in the early 80s was very good if you stomach it. Basically, he made droning analogue synth recordings that evolve very, very slowly. At the right volume, they can almost make you seasick and that's the point. A couple of his 80s lps were more overtly noisy, but the majority are more of the droning type I described. I think most of them have been reissued on cd.