Author Topic: Fabio Orsi  (Read 7512 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Fabio Orsi
« on: November 17, 2008, 02:09:13 AM »
I've seen all the posts on the Forum about this artist and was curious so today at Aquarius Records I picked up one of his 3-inch CDR's called "Before Long, Before Anyone, the Stars Will Be Walls in My Mind."  Comes in a nice little jewel-case with a quite stunning cover art.  Put it on in the car and my god, low and behold, this is some of the damned finest beautiful guitar drone work.  I paid $10.98 for these 18 minutes and damn, it was worth every penny.  I discovered later this was limited to 100 copies and is sold out according to Students of Decay, which released this.  I guess there were 2 others (3-inch CDR's) on SoD that are also sold out.  I then scrambled to order "Wild Light of the Moon" (ltd. 200), and it's on the way.  Any other info./suggestions on this artist?  I was hard pressed to find any decent articles/interviews online. 

gjhardwick

• View Profile
Re: Fabio Orsi
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 03:31:40 AM »
Fabio is quite prolific - he's had several releases out this year on various labels, all of them pretty damn good.

I've also heard the collaboration album he's done with the Australian band Seaworthy which is also very good indeed - it should be seeing the light of day sometime in 2009.

Disappointing the masses since 2006 - http://www.low-point.com

Undershadow

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 01:27:54 PM »
[...] I discovered later this was limited to 100 copies and is sold out according to Students of Decay, which released this.  I guess there were 2 others (3-inch CDR's) on SoD that are also sold out.  I then scrambled to order "Wild Light of the Moon" (ltd. 200), and it's on the way.  Any other info./suggestions on this artist? [...]

Not sure if you saw this: http://www.hypnos.com/smf/index.php?topic=10.msg10076#msg10076

The tracks from those sold out 3" cd-rs might be the first two on Disc 2. Note that the one you got is #3:
http://www.discogs.com/release/1492542

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 08:09:17 PM »
Glad to see you've been Orsified!:)

Forrest

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 12:36:14 AM »
I've reccommended it before in the past but you should really check out his 3" on Locus Of Assemblage "Birds Are Smart But They Cannot Speak."  I haven't heard to many people respond to this release but perhaps Forrest could comment on it if he has it?  Although I know Forrest really likes 1000 Days Red(which comes with some strange artifact, but it is incredibly rare), but what ever you do stay the hell away from "Find Electronica."

Fern

Undershadow

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 05:45:33 AM »

Just about all of what I've heard from Orsi is worthwhile, but I'd add to Fern's list of non-recommends:

Gianluca Becuzzi & Fabio Orsi - Muddy Speaking Ghosts Through My Machines

Couldn't get into this one.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 01:28:56 PM »
I've reccommended it before in the past but you should really check out his 3" on Locus Of Assemblage "Birds Are Smart But They Cannot Speak."  I haven't heard to many people respond to this release but perhaps Forrest could comment on it if he has it?
Fern

I agree, that's a pretty good one, too, though there is a little bit of basic acoustic guitar strumming on it that I found a little distracting.  Great drones, though.  Other Orsi 3"'ers I have liked are "The Psychedelic Power of Bubbles" and "Please Don't Count the Clouds" ( a 3 disc "split" with Becuzzi).  I would add "Sound Postcards" (an early split with Becuzzi) to the nonrecommends list.

Forrest

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 11:56:55 PM »
You've got me curious about this guy, and I am wondering what I should get for the first one, and where to get his albums. (it is funny to see all the different responses when one asks the "if I only get one album, which should it be" question...)

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 04:33:10 AM »
Despite the stern warning, I bought "Find Electronica" and totally love it.  To me this is a great organic drone album, very peaceful and trippy.  If you're into Alio Die I think you'd dig this.  I would recommend it highly for the newbie, especially since it's easily available (Discogs.com, Amazon, etc.)  Can't wait to receive "Wild Light of the Moon"!!!
While in the store I did listen to sound clips of the Orsi/My Cat is an Alien disc "For Alan Lomax" and it sounded pretty dreadful, kind of piercing noise probably thanks mostly to MCIAA.  That's one to stay away from. :-)

Undershadow

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 05:48:08 AM »
You mustíve heard too much of the frankly annoying MCIAA track. Certainly not enough of Orsiís really quite charming and gentle "Spring No More and Love Come in the Wind" (see writer's observation a propos here: http://www.digitalisindustries.com/foxyd/reviews.php?which=2169)
That said, it's not one that ought to distract the newbie from heading straight for Wild Light of the Moon or Audio for Lovers (to reiterate, CD2 of the latter handily bundles in a trilogy of previously released Orsi 3"s - all very good).

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 06:00:43 AM »
Birds are Smart 3-inch on the way thanks to Discogs!

Undershadow

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 02:04:10 PM »
OK, I think a link to a sharity blog is permissible in context, context being that the disc (Gianluca Becuzzi/Fabio OrsiPlease Donít Count the Clouds) was one of those extremely limited ones that became unavailable virtually overnight.
So here's the link: http://cookshop.wordpress.com/2007/12/15/1189/

Now I can live without the first two tracks but the last one by Orsi solo, ďAt Last as Naked CloudsĒ, is now playing and sounding pretty great.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 02:05:42 PM by Undershadow »

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 12:20:12 AM »
You've got me curious about this guy, and I am wondering what I should get for the first one, and where to get his albums. (it is funny to see all the different responses when one asks the "if I only get one album, which should it be" question...)

I'd start with Orsi's "Music For Lovers" release.  It is a two-fer at a decent price, and has several of his 3" releases on the second disc.

Forrest

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 02:30:08 AM »
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 12:04:23 PM by 9dragons »

Undershadow

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 03:47:28 AM »
9dragons, you'll need to make that link specific: http://www.soleilmoon.com/store/searchresults.lasso?ArtistName=ORSI,%20FABIO

And be aware that these three at the soleilmoon store are by no means the best that FO has done. See foregoing discussion on recommends and non-recommends. Don't back the wrong Orsi (geddit?).

And Soleilmoon is not the only retailer of Dodos (Dark Oblique and Droney Obscure Shit) in the US. 

Try release here: http://www.lastvisibledog.com/128.htm
Buy release here: http://www.lastvisibledog.com/catalog.htm

Also:

Try release here: http://www.naszczepanik.com/sra/Wild_Light_of_the_Moon.html
Buy release here: http://www.naszczepanik.com/sra/Store.html (a snip at only $8.50!)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 04:01:28 AM by Undershadow »

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 09:46:34 AM »
What ever you do, I would steer clear of the Find Electronica release.  It's a 5 minute piece that is about 44 minutes too long.  As Alan noted, Wild Light of the Moon is a veritable bargain, though it's a CDR.

Forrest

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 09:54:55 AM »
I had seen those 3 at the Soleilmoon store, and decided not to bite. I'd heard bits & pieces of them and I wasn't blown away by 'em.

Joeski's Greatest Orsi Hits are:

The Wild Light Of the Moon
Spring No More and Love Come In the Wind
The Psychedelic Power of Bubbles
Before Long, Before Anyone, The Stars Will Be Walls in My Mind
...and that collab with Gianluca Becuzzi called The Stones Know Everything. This one's WAY different from the others, but still great in it's own sandpapery way.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 09:57:39 AM »
I agree with Forrest- Find Electronica is very harsh & cold.

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 12:15:08 PM »
Despite the kind help of all concerned, I am not finding much urge to grab an Orsi. That Wild Light of the Moon sample didn't do it, and the Audio for Lovers sample seemed, well, unengaging...

For guitar ambient action, I will stick with Hakobune and Fear Falls Burning for now. Sorry guys...

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 01:02:25 PM »
Despite the kind help of all concerned, I am not finding much urge to grab an Orsi. That Wild Light of the Moon sample didn't do it, and the Audio for Lovers sample seemed, well, unengaging...

For guitar ambient action, I will stick with Hakobune and Fear Falls Burning for now. Sorry guys...
Just take David Tagg upon this list and we are fine. :)