Author Topic: The Black Hole Reverb  (Read 46762 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Re: The Black Hole Reverb
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2009, 12:10:31 PM »
Spent yesterday just playing and getting familiar with the H8000FW, and there are some truly awe inspiring things this unit can do...its kind of like Willy Wonkas Chocalate factory...if you can dream it and imagine it you can probably build it.

Anyway after digging into the verbs more they are cool but in a very different way as I mentioned than most lexicon boxes. I would use the word aggressive, kind of harder edged, more metalic, but still equally cool.

Think of Lexicon as a good Cabernet and the Eventide as a good crisp chilled summer Chardonnay.

PV

It would be A DREAM if you could make some samples for us playing around with the unit(s), it would be very interesting to hear what it can do, remember I have only heard the samples on the eventide site, and that samples are not the best...And considering I might pay a lot of money for it..I would like to hear more of it first.....So I am very interested to hear what it can do in practice...so if you have the time please record something..it do not need to be a masterpiece or something...just some improvisation so we can hear how it sounds hehe...

Dry and wet comparison would be also useful.

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2009, 12:18:07 PM »
I'll try but it will be a while until I am comfortable with the unit to start recording with it, but I will see what I can do.

The eventide site's samples are actually quite indicative of what this unit can do, the problem is that like any preset and mix you need to find the sources that work for you...which is what I am doing myself right now.

Paul
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2009, 12:26:19 PM »
ok Man, just don't let us wait too long hehe. I understand it will take some time to get used to the unit...so if you post a sample...we understand that it does need to be perfect...
after all it is only the algorithms we want to hear...going through the presets one by one etc...would be interesting for sure hehe...makes my mouth just water thinking about it...

If you make samples of the reverbs...I am not sure what kind of source sound would be the best to demonstrate the the reverb...maybe you do ?

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2009, 01:21:48 PM »
I am thinking a simple piano strike works well just to see how the verb responds...
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2009, 07:30:04 PM »
I am thinking a simple piano strike works well just to see how the verb responds...

Yes let us know when you have something to show us!

A piano I think could be great since it has dynamically rich and has many overtones...as long as it is an acoustic piano that is...and not an electronic...

An simple "Saw" I guess would be good also....to hear how it works with electronic sounds..

Looking forward to send the samples to my friends who think I am crazy that I am will buy such expensive reverb....
But..when they hear these samples they will hopefully understand why.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 07:33:23 PM by Immersion »

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2009, 08:23:37 PM »
It is weekend now!
I hope you have some time to create some samples for us! :)

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2009, 08:54:29 PM »
Sorry to disappoint you, but like I said I am pretty swamped right now, I have barely had any time to play with the unit myself. I have clients and gigs booked solid for the next 3 weeks, and that includes weekends. I am usually pretty fried by the end of sessions which are usually 10hrs per day on average, so the last thing I wanna do is stick around the studio. When I have time and my work load thins I will see what I can do.

Paul

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2009, 02:50:49 PM »
Sorry to disappoint you, but like I said I am pretty swamped right now, I have barely had any time to play with the unit myself. I have clients and gigs booked solid for the next 3 weeks, and that includes weekends. I am usually pretty fried by the end of sessions which are usually 10hrs per day on average, so the last thing I wanna do is stick around the studio. When I have time and my work load thins I will see what I can do.

Paul

It is ok Paul, no panic. I can wait a couple of weeks or even longer. I am just psyched to hear the samples and hear what they can do.
You did seem very psyched about the H8000FW aswell...so..looking forward to hear it :)
I am sure after I have heard your samples I will want the H8000FW even more.

If you could demonstrate the difference between the Lexicon PCM96 reverbs and h8000FW it would be very nice...so we can "hear" what you are talking about...

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2009, 08:39:13 PM »
This question is towards the people who experience with the Lexicon reverbs. How much latency could you expect if you use a PCM91 for all reverb processing, I assume Spdif is the best interface to use...
Why I am wondering is cause I use mainly soft synths..which need low latency... I got 3ms at the moment...

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2009, 06:20:10 PM »
Latency is totally dependent upon your sound card and doesn't really have anything to do specifically with a Lexicon or any other external reverb.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2009, 06:26:06 PM »
Latency is totally dependent upon your sound card and doesn't really have anything to do specifically with a Lexicon or any other external reverb.

Alright good to know..that Lexicon is zero latency processing...good to know...I guess it will be no problem then...thanks

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2009, 06:59:57 PM »
Not exactly what you were asking for but I used the H8000 exclusively as my effects processor for Vir Unis Rabbit Hole Radio the other night, and did use the Black Hole Verb on a song or two.
He should be postings some samples on his Atmoworks / Rabbit Hole Radio page. The synth used was a Dave Smith Prophet 8 which has no on board effects so all the effects you hear are the H8000.

Paul

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2009, 09:16:16 AM »
Maybe you could keep me informed of when and where I can listen to it ?

Sunbreak Music

• View Profile
    • Sunbreak Music, High Resolution Stereo Mastering
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2009, 07:11:39 PM »
I'm putting the finishing touches on a collaboration that has the H8000 all over it.  I'll post some samples when they're ready.  It's a one-of-a-kind box, but the Eclipse is a very capable unit and a nice entry point.
Cass Anawaty, Mastering Engineer
www.sunbreakmusic.com

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2009, 07:34:10 PM »
Nice, looking forward to hear. Wonder when we will hear Paul Vnuks recording also....I assume he is too busy and have no time for us...

I am still saving up for H8000FW.... But as for reverb...I think I will also buy X-verb instead of maybe an Lexicon PCM91...
X-verb seem to be way more flexible and formable... it cost less then a new PCM91 form the states....and according to SSL
themselves it will sound even better then the Lexicon Hardware reverbs because of more DSP power but also a more it seem to be more complex as well...more parameters... etc..

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2009, 07:13:15 PM »
Well, John (AKA Vir Unis) holds the keys to the recording we did where I was using the H8000 as my only effects processor.

As far as time goes, its not that I don't have time for you Immersion, but alas I don't  ;D

I just came off a month of 60hr work weeks filled with sessions (Celtic/Indie Rock/Folk) and now I am off for the next few weeks to be with my wife who just had a baby (yes there are now 3 Vnuk boys), so time in the studio is rare.

I can tell you that in traditional music styles I still stand by my original opinions and this is after using both the Lexicon PCM 96 Surround and the H8000FW, the reverbs in the Lexicon are way more to my taste for warm and lush. The reverbs alone in the Eventide are a bit crisper and aggressive. Great for percussive and drum rooms as well as vocal plates and such, however the PCM 96 was the better choice on violin, acoustic guitar and also vocals.

As a sound design machine for weirdness, the H8000 is flat out untouchable and if I could only keep one it would be the Eventide for everything it does in addition to reverb, but as a reverb only box, the PCM 96 has only one competitor on the market and the is the Bricasti. The reality is at this price range ($4000 - $5500) neither unit sucks, its really like arguing fine vintage wines or high end sports cars, its all about personal taste, style and what you can afford.

As a fellow on gear slutz says...your mileage may vary.

Paul

Sunbreak Music

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2009, 07:22:11 PM »
I agree with that.  It shines at "effected" reverbs, but it's not something I would use to simulate a comfortable space.
www.sunbreakmusic.com

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2009, 07:30:12 PM »
Thanks for the answer at least...I am still saving up for the H8000FW...

As for my main reverb...I have high hopes about SSL X-verb, this will give Lexicon some SERIOUS completion for sure.
It would be a really safe card to buy the PCM91...but if the X-verb is as good as I have heard it is...it might outperform the hardware reverbs...
Mostly cause it is highly adjustable to your own preference...What makes it even more mindblowing and amazing is that you could control every parameter with midi
control in real time, so you could use it as an instrument on an more profound level I think...

Well X-Verb was released only some weeks ago...so not much reviews have leaked out...only a few comments on a few forums hear and there...all feedback have been very good...
and everyone seem to be very impressed by the sound.

http://www.solidstatelogic.com/music/duende/x-verb/index.asp

Sunbreak Music

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2009, 08:02:43 AM »
Thanks for the answer at least...I am still saving up for the H8000FW...

As for my main reverb...I have high hopes about SSL X-verb, this will give Lexicon some SERIOUS completion for sure.
It would be a really safe card to buy the PCM91...but if the X-verb is as good as I have heard it is...it might outperform the hardware reverbs...
Mostly cause it is highly adjustable to your own preference...What makes it even more mindblowing and amazing is that you could control every parameter with midi
control in real time, so you could use it as an instrument on an more profound level I think...

Well X-Verb was released only some weeks ago...so not much reviews have leaked out...only a few comments on a few forums hear and there...all feedback have been very good...
and everyone seem to be very impressed by the sound.

http://www.solidstatelogic.com/music/duende/x-verb/index.asp

Everyone always compares everything to the Lexicon (so I'm always skeptical because they usually fall very, very flat), but the fact that it runs on DSP is strongly in it's favor.

FWIW, I sold my Lexicon last year.   ;)
www.sunbreakmusic.com

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2009, 08:55:25 AM »
I am skeptical too, but I have high hopes about x-verb...considering how good their other plugins are...and the fact that Solid State Logic release no crap...   Even though it might not beat the Lexicon, I am sure it will still be the best software reverb. But we will see...still hard to find any reviews...or anything.