Author Topic: CD-R Deterioration  (Read 26436 times)

spunknik

• View Profile
Re: CD-R Deterioration
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2008, 10:23:26 AM »
Hey guys,I'm right here.Oh,but I'm Mark Harris.Not Mick Harris or Matt Harris.Sor-E.Happy Thanksgiving!

zzzone.net

• a numbers station ||| zzzone.net
    • View Profile
    • zzzone.net
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2008, 12:49:36 PM »
Dang.

I just ran across another CD-R that gives multiple frame offset errors (24,000+) with dBpoweramp.

The disc in question:  Kwook - Unidentified Feathered Object

I was able to rip it using WinAmp Pro but I suspect that the errors were included or skipped.

Visual inspection of the disc reveals it to be pristine without dust, scratches or fingerprints.

I have had no problems with a CDDA except for one (Two Lone Swordsmen: Tiny Reminders)

The score is 3 CD-Rs to 1 CDDA bad so far in my ripping adventures.

It looks like Matt Harris' label has found a replacement disc for my copy of Blind Cinema :)

As an FYI you can see the ambient folder on the third hard drive that I recently added to my music server:

http://zzzone.net/photo/2008/ambientrips.jpg
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 06:48:09 AM by jimzzzak »

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2008, 05:05:02 PM »
Dang.

I just ran across another CD-R that gives multiple frame offset errors (24,000+) with dBpoweramp.

The disc in question:  Kwook - Unidentified Feathered Object

I was able to rip it using WinAmp Pro but I suspect that the errors were included or skipped.

Visual inspection of the disc reveals it to be pristine without dust, scratches or fingerprints.

I have had no problems with a CDDA except for one (Two Lone Swordsmen: Tiny Reminders)

The score is 3 CD-Rs to 1 CDDA bad so far in my ripping adventures.

It looks like Matt Harris' label has found a replacement disc for my copy of Blind Cinema :)

As an FYI you can see the ambient folder on the third hard drive that I recently added to my music server:

http://zzzone.net/photo/2008/ambientrips.jpg
no rigel orionis on your hard drive? that's why your cdr's are going bad - it's kharma!
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

zzzone.net

• View Profile
    • zzzone.net
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 01:08:55 AM »
It's there, Jim.

You didn't see your own name?

dBpoweramp put your name instead of "Rigel Orionis" as the folder name.

Look again.

So much for karma.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 03:48:42 PM »
It's there, Jim.

Look again.

So much for karma.
using the name "jim brenholts" is enough to ruin your kharma for at least the next year. that is why i use a recording alias.
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

zzzone.net

• View Profile
    • zzzone.net
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 04:35:15 AM »
It's there, Jim.

Look again.

So much for karma.
using the name "jim brenholts" is enough to ruin your kharma for at least the next year. that is why i use a recording alias.

Karma correction has been implemented at your request, sir.

I consider you the boss of your own music.

I clicked on the questionable folder name and took the trouble to type in Rigel Orionis.

I feel much better now, and I know you do too.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 03:47:20 PM »
It's there, Jim.

Look again.

So much for karma.

Karma correction has been implemented at your request, sir.

I consider you the boss of your own music.

I clicked on the questionable folder name and took the trouble to type in Rigel Orionis.

I feel much better now, and I know you do too.
;D 8) ;) :D
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

zzzone.net

• View Profile
    • zzzone.net
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2008, 10:57:07 AM »
I got an email from another person that informed me that his copy of "Blind Cinema" had gone to pot also.

zzzone.net

• View Profile
    • zzzone.net
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2008, 08:15:39 AM »
Yet another chapter in this super fascinating thread:

A CD-R this morning will not allow the last track to be read: Deep Chill Network - Dreams 4 - Why?

Inspection of the CD-R reveals no damage.

Is this some other problem with CD-Rs?

The list of non-ripping CD-Rs is certain growing with only one CDDA no-go.

My encouragement to try to avoid these things is also getting stronger.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2008, 08:43:27 AM »
"Inspection of the CD-R reveals no damage."

And you are sure its not just your player acting up?
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

zzzone.net

• View Profile
    • zzzone.net
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2008, 08:54:45 AM »
The player rips other discs quickly and reliably with dBpoweramp. 

I have two players in the computer in question and neither reads the last track.  Both players are less than 2 months old.

I know this is not fool-proof evidence of a good player but it's the best I can do.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 08:58:28 AM by jimzzzak »

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2008, 09:38:52 AM »
I have two players in the computer in question and neither reads the last track.  Both players are less than 2 months old.

Are you getting the same results in a conventional CD player?  I would think that the CD mechanism in the CD-ROM drive is relatively modest, compare to that of a standalone CD player.

Forrest

zzzone.net

• View Profile
    • zzzone.net
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2008, 04:00:57 PM »
I am converting my CD collection to .flac files for a home music server.

A conventional CD player would not suit this purpose unfortunately.

However, I will try the experiment and let you know.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2008, 12:56:30 PM »
Thanks for checking back in, Matt, and I'm sure those individuals with glitchy discs will be pleased to get replacements.  Also, it's good to hear that your daughter's story turned out OK.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2008, 02:07:45 PM »
Yet another chapter in this super fascinating thread:

A CD-R this morning will not allow the last track to be read: Deep Chill Network - Dreams 4 - Why?

Inspection of the CD-R reveals no damage.

Not sure why some of these have problems and others do not.  I have not had many people report problems over the years, maybe 4 or 5 total CDs, and I usually use the really good CDs when I burn them myself.

I've also personally purchased a lot of CDRs over the years and the only ones I've ever had problems with were some of James Johnson's discs and several Oophoi discs.  I will personally replace any disc of mine that ever 'dies' just let me know.  All Dark Duck Records CD essentially have a lifetime warrenty.

That being said, I also generally rip all CDs that I get just in case :)

Stephen Philips

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2008, 02:35:21 PM »
It's been said before, but a reminder that almost any CDR with a paper-based sticker label, as is Matthew J. Harris' CD "Blind Cinema" has (at least mine has) will ruin the balance of the spin and cause glitches.

By the way, for the record, it is Matthew J. Harris.

Jesse
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 02:37:37 PM by Numina »

Campus Stellae

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2008, 12:34:24 AM »
I have a lot of CdRs in my collection and unfortunately I have discovered that many of them are now unplayable: Vir Unis "Lumen"; a couple Saul Stokes (those in the wooden boxes); James Johnson "Lost at Dunn's Lake", "Unity", "Surrender", "Minimum", "Journeys"; a bunch of Dark Duck titles; a mountain of Mathias Grassow titles. My discs are stocked in a safe place - no humidity at all - some of them have the paper label, some don't. I've tried to get the replacement discs from Saul, but he replied that the masters are gone lost.
I've always replaced all the defective Umbra and Penumbra discs, so I'd like to get replacement discs when I need them, but in many cases this seems impossible.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2008, 01:49:24 AM »
I think I may have mentioned this before in an old thread, but I've had some success making playable CDR copies of discs that otherwise skip because of scratches etc.  This works best when I use my CDR recorder.  I'm not sure why this is the case, but it does seem to work for me most of the time, unless the disc is completely trashed.

Forrest

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2008, 08:43:23 AM »
I notice that most of my paper-label discs played in a traditional CD player, where the disc rests in the tray and the contact with the spinning post (don't know the technical term for this) is sort of loose will skip, while if you use a SONY discman, where the CD is seated and sort of "snaps" in the cylindrical post ,there is minimal to no skipping.  I would recommend trying this out first and making a dub copy of your disc via Discman. - Jesse

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2008, 09:17:37 AM »
I have a lot of CdRs in my collection and unfortunately I have discovered that many of them are now unplayable: Vir Unis "Lumen"; a couple Saul Stokes (those in the wooden boxes); James Johnson "Lost at Dunn's Lake", "Unity", "Surrender", "Minimum", "Journeys"; a bunch of Dark Duck titles; a mountain of Mathias Grassow titles. My discs are stocked in a safe place - no humidity at all - some of them have the paper label, some don't. I've tried to get the replacement discs from Saul, but he replied that the masters are gone lost.
I've always replaced all the defective Umbra and Penumbra discs, so I'd like to get replacement discs when I need them, but in many cases this seems impossible.

I've had the same experiences with many of these titles, too.  I copied and sold almost all of them a few years ago, but a few simply had to be thrown out (Lumen, for example).  I've noticed that the player you put them in makes a difference, at times.  Some discs that won't play in three of the players in our house may play in the fourth one.  I've still got the Saul Stokes wooden box releases—I'll have to dig 'em out and see how they play.  Perhaps, with Saul's permission, we can post the tracks online somewhere.