Author Topic: Undiscovered Moons of Saturn  (Read 2646 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Undiscovered Moons of Saturn
« on: November 26, 2008, 12:39:17 AM »
I discovered this artist via doing some research on Procyon-X (see my post on his excellent "Ghost of Orion" CD), and found UMOS's music is as amazing as the name of his project.  The artist is from New Zealand and style-wise, like Procyon-X, this artist appears to align his work with the "dark astral ambient" genre as opposed to the "ambient space music" category, although some self-descriptions found online referred to Klaus Schulze, Eno, T. Dream, which makes sense once you hear the music.  His one album so far, "Lost in Cosmos," fuses deep floating space synths, neo-classical elements, and doom metal via some menacing grungy guitars that weave in and out of the mix.  If you liked Oophoi's "Celestial Geometries," Lustmord's "Black Stars," or some of the more cosmic Cyclic Law releases, you will probably be into this.  It's dark ambient space music but maybe less abstract and more melodic/structured than those mentioned above.  Apparently his album was originally released on CDR but will now be reissued shortly on CD.  I am definitely ordering this when it comes out.  I'd be interested in opinions about this music, so check out his myspace page, search "undiscovered moons of saturn" in myspace music.  3 nice long track samples available. 

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
Re: Undiscovered Moons of Saturn
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 08:09:11 AM »
Haha, another friend from Nulll-Void's site that I haven't been in touch with in awhile. Good stuff indeed and glad to see it's getting a re-release. Definitely worth checking out.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 06:40:46 PM »
I ordered the CDR from Nulll-Void (the artwork looks better to me on this than the CD re-release), can't wait to hear this in its entirety.  Been listening to the three sample tracks all week... 

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 03:55:29 PM »
I need to get in touch with Stijn to get a listing of what he has so I can see what I can do a trade with for some of the releases. I also have to contact a couple of other folks to do trades with as well.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 01:28:59 AM »
I got this disc today, and am pretty disappointed.  Not with the music itself, but the sound quality--this album is marred by a lot of distortion and anomalous noises, which just ruins it.  The volume is much too high, also.  I don't know if maybe I got a bum copy, but if not it sounds like somebody forgot to master it.  The label on the CDR is a silver "sticky" label with nothing printed on it.  Some obvious care and work went into the cover art/booklet, so not sure why a proper disc label couldn't have been made.  I emailed the label (Nulll) inquiring about this.  Will be interested to see what's going on...

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 04:19:59 PM »
is there a web site?
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com