Author Topic: Gear: Studio shots by Deb  (Read 91546 times)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
Re: Gear: Studio shots by Deb
« Reply #140 on: January 30, 2009, 12:43:34 PM »
Current setup here:

APK
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

caul

• View Profile
    • caul homepage
« Reply #141 on: January 30, 2009, 02:06:54 PM »
Current setup here:

APK

Nice! what's that tiny mixer to the left of the headphones? I've been thinking about selling my larger (and mostly not used) mixer and getting a small firewire mixer of some kind.

brett

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #142 on: January 30, 2009, 02:43:59 PM »
Hi Brett.
Left of the headphones is a Behringer BCR2000 midi control surface. So not a mixer. Its what I use with VST synths.
The only mixer I use is the tiny one on the very corner of the other desk.
I too have little use (or space) for larger mixers.

I was thinking of retiring that little mixer and getting one of the smaller Alesis mixers. It could be useful:
http://alesis.com/multimix8usb20

APK
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

caul

• View Profile
    • caul homepage
« Reply #143 on: January 30, 2009, 02:57:31 PM »
Hi Brett.
Left of the headphones is a Behringer BCR2000 midi control surface. So not a mixer. Its what I use with VST synths.
The only mixer I use is the tiny one on the very corner of the other desk.
I too have little use (or space) for larger mixers.

I was thinking of retiring that little mixer and getting one of the smaller Alesis mixers. It could be useful:
http://alesis.com/multimix8usb20

APK

I've read about the BCR2000, I've been considering looking into something like that. I would ideally like something would be small, have phantom power, preferably firewire and would also be a control surface for logic. Thanks for the link, I'll take a look at the Alesis models.

the Kore unit I have has physical controls on it, unfortunately I can't use them for anything but Kore. I know people have complained to NI about this, maybe someday they'll change their mind.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #144 on: March 25, 2009, 12:41:44 PM »
I just finished revamping my studio, I moved it to a bigger room and also pulled the old mixer out of storage and have put it back in service. Other then that not much different except for the layout and location. So here is the latest version:

« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:50:33 AM by LNerell »
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 25, 2009, 05:02:08 PM »
Very Nice pics indeed Loren

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #146 on: March 25, 2009, 09:11:34 PM »
Some very nice vintage effects tucked away on the Loren, very nice.
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 25, 2009, 11:04:43 PM »
Loren,
That Ursa Major unit looks particularly cool.  I remember seeing a brochure for that many years ago, but never actually saw one in person.  Also nice to see your vintage Emu gear.  I still use my Emu sound modules, especially the Morpheus.

Forrest

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #148 on: March 26, 2009, 12:46:53 PM »
Current setup here:

APK

LOVE this Setup. Everything is on its spot and its well structed (at least from my point of view).
Looks very professional.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #149 on: March 26, 2009, 04:45:20 PM »
Loren,
That Ursa Major unit looks particularly cool.  I remember seeing a brochure for that many years ago, but never actually saw one in person.  Also nice to see your vintage Emu gear.  I still use my Emu sound modules, especially the Morpheus.

Thanks Forest. The Ursa Major is pretty cool, given its age. Yeah I still use all those Emu modules, even my Emax II sampler at times. The Morpheus I like, it kind of bookmarks the Wavestation in my mind, both good at making long evolving pads but in different ways. I still have to set up my keyboards and patch a few things here and there but its getting their.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2009, 09:59:46 PM »
I spent a few months redesigning my room and equipment set up, added a new desk and room treatment. You can see the "before" earlier in this thread.

Paul
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #151 on: March 27, 2009, 05:21:33 AM »
Paul - looks like you have a fine collection of 2001 black slabs !!   ;D
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #152 on: March 27, 2009, 09:02:21 AM »
 ::)

psycherhexic

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2010, 08:21:02 PM »
paul your studio is gorgeous.

I am an aspiring electronic musician.. and only use software right now. BUT. I don't like my desk I built (cosmetically and functionally) and I was curious if you had any thoughts on desk design, like how to make it "future proof".

I am a custom cabinet maker so its sort of fun to build stuff for myself, Its just at the moment i'm working with a couple controllers and a monitor/speakers... so the whole rack mount stuff is unnecessary.. just worried I will have to make ANOTHER one once I mature?

here is what i'm working with now.. except I ditched the black box holding my interface/controller/laptop and made single stands out of clear finished birch that can sit on the desk in front of me instead of to the side.

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #154 on: May 08, 2010, 09:18:58 PM »
Hey psycherhexic ,

Thanks for the kind words. My brother in law is a cabinet maker so he made all of my furniture out of Alder laminated MDF, which helps resonances. For me my set up is future-proof only in that if I ever acquire more rack gear, he has the plans to make another side rack.

I didn't necessarily design my desk for unknown growth as much as what would accommodate my final goal. I knew what pieces I had, what I still want/needed and how many rack spaces they were etc and I designed around that.

I think in any situation you could do the same. If you see no need for rack gear then don't bother. If you could see your self with 4 spaces of rack gear in 2 years or 8 spaces in 4 years, and so on, decide now what that would take and build around the dream, but with one foot in reality. I see you already have some rack gear (looks like a powercore and presonus box maybe) so you could build a 4 space rack or a 6 space rack and get some blank panels which will look cool for now, but allow for growth.

In any situation a desk should accommodate two goals, one is sonics of the room whenever possible. In other words, proper angles of monitor speakers, placement of your video monitor, distance from the rear wall, your head and so on. The second goal should be ergonomics and work flow. Is everything in reach? Is it at the proper heights and distances for long periods of comfortable and productive sessions?

Just two cents and best of luck!

Paul

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2010, 06:11:41 PM »
Not my studio but someone who obviously has more money then sense  :o

I certainly love gear but I think studios that look like this are just way over the top. When you have this much gear you are either a collector or a hoarder or both, but not a composer.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2010, 07:21:03 PM »
Yep ... that's not a studio, its a museum.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2010, 08:22:50 PM »
Is that Amanda's collection?

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #158 on: May 13, 2010, 09:02:09 AM »
That's a shot of one side of my "B" studio.  My main collection is in the "A" room and the rest is in several large storage units.   ;D

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #159 on: May 13, 2010, 09:27:32 AM »
Numina will be really embarrassed when he finds everybody here making fun of his studio.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions