7 (63.6%)
Yes, Only sometimes
1 (9.1%)
Yes, but Psychic Tinnitus
0 (0%)
No, luckily not
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Tinnitus  (Read 11631 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Tinnitus
« on: December 08, 2008, 04:13:50 PM »
So I guess I am not alone to have Tinnitus on this forum ?

I got mine year 2003, when the earplug in the left ear did pop out during a death metal concert.
It was loud as fuck and I did stand just in front of the speaker, I did try cover my ears as good as I could, but after the break in the middle, I did try to go back of the concert hall, cause I thought it was maybe lower volume ?
I did also look around me, a lot of people did not have ear plugs so I thought I was "safe" so for like 30 minutes or so I did not cover the ears with my hands... well worst misstake in my life probably cause even today I have Tinnitus, even though I must say it has improved a lot. The first 3 weeks after the concert I did hear VERY bad on the left ear, I was scared I never would hear good again. Luckily the left ear did recover I now hear good again, but I still got Tinnitus. The Tinnitus level does vary a lot for me, I play music in headphones many hours per day, some days maybe up to 15 hours... however during periods I do not listen to much music the Tinnitus is less...so yeah I guess I should be more careful...

unfortunately my amplifier for the speakers has been broke now for some months and can't afford to buy a new one...so I have only been able to use headphones...It is quite obvious it is more straining for the ears to play with headphones cause of higher sound pressure to the ears...

The biggest problem for me is that I got a kind of unbalance between L/R ear, it is mostly noticeable in headphones, not so much when you listen in speakers luckily...I hear difference mainly in extreme high range, and low range... even though I got Tinnitus in left ear I still feel I hear better in this ear, but I am also more sensitive in the left ear to high volume etc...

Also.. Tinnitus was one of the reason that got me into Ambient music to begin with...

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
Re: Tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 04:29:17 PM »
Oh yeah; I have it, since birth.  As a kid, I used to tell my parents that I heard a constant high-pitched whine.  Our family doctor told us he could puncture my eardrum to make it stop  :o, advice my parents thankfully ignored.

I hear it now all the time, it's a constant, low-volume high-pitched sound, kinda like the sound a TV tube makes when the volume is off.  If I'm really tired or have too much alcohol, it gets much louder.  I have good hearing at all frequencies, so I don't worry about it much.

One interesting thing I had an audiologist tell me:  People with tinnitus are often better at hearing very soft or very high pitched sounds.  It seems that the steady drone of tinnitus acts to amplify weak sounds, effectively 'boosting' them from inaudible to above the threshold of hearing.  Interesting theory, as I do have pretty sensitive hearing.

While in my case it appears to be mostly hereditary, I suspect that too many Husker Du shows back in the 80's didn't help...
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 08:40:03 PM »
Even though I've never exposed myself to high volume sound/music (even as a teenager, knowing my hearing was something important I wanted to have my whole life), more and more I think I may have mild tinnitus.  I've never done any research into it, so I was unaware it could be hereditary.

Like SunDummy, I've always has very sensitive hearing... and it's to the point that I can't go to a movie theatre without plugging my ears.  Loud levels cause my right ear to make a distorted crackling sound... Needless to say, I invested in a home theatre solution where I had control over the volume.  ;)

I noticed the quiet whine in my early 20s.  It hasn't changed since and I rarely notice it, so I hope that with care the problem won't get any worse.

Does anyone know if tinnitus is degenerative?
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 09:42:27 PM »
wow. theres a word for everything!

From Wikipedia
Tinnitus is the perception of sound within the human ear in the absence of corresponding external sound.

Tinnitus can be perceived in one or both ears or in the head. It is usually described as a ringing noise, but in some patients it takes the form of a high pitched whining, buzzing, hissing, humming, or whistling sound, or as ticking, clicking, roaring, "crickets" or "tree frogs" or "locusts", tunes, songs, or beeping.[3] It has also been described as a "wooshing" sound, as of wind or waves.[4]. Tinnitus can be intermittent or it can be continuous. In the latter case, this "phantom" sound can create great distress in the sufferer.

Tinnitus is not itself a disease but a symptom resulting from a range of underlying causes. Causes include ear infections, foreign objects or wax in the ear, nose allergies that prevent (or induce) fluid drain and cause wax build-up, and injury from loud noises. Tinnitus is also a side-effect of some oral medications, such as aspirin, and may also result from an abnormally low level of serotonin activity. It is also a classical side effect of Quinidine, a Class IA anti-arrhythmic. In many cases, however, no underlying physical cause can be identified.

The sound perceived may range from a quiet background noise to one that can be heard even over loud external sounds. The term "tinnitus" usually refers to more severe cases. Heller and Bergman (1953) conducted a study of 80 tinnitus-free university students placed in an anechoic chamber and found that 93% reported hearing a buzzing, pulsing or whistling sound. Cohort studies have demonstrated that damage to hearing (among other health effects) from unnatural levels of noise exposure is very widespread in industrialized countries.[5]

Because tinnitus is often defined as a subjective phenomenon, it is difficult to measure using objective tests, such as by comparison to noise of known frequency and intensity, as in an audiometric test. The condition is often rated clinically on a simple scale from "slight" to "catastrophic" according to the practical difficulties it imposes, such as interference with sleep, quiet activities, or normal daily activities.[6] For research purposes, the more elaborate Tinnitus Handicap Inventory is often used

Inever looked at it this way.  Interesting.  I would classify myself as slight.  I never could tolerate TV, even as a kid.  It wasn't just the shows, it was the wirhihidhaoeihrgggggggggg that I would hear everytime it came on.  The worst inflicted was Blues Oyster Cult "Spectres" show.  A few weeks ago, my wife and I went to see the Dropkick Murphys (f*cking great, BTW) anyway, we were standing right up at the stage, right in front of a wall of speakers.  Rang for a few days.  I was (and still am) convinced that I just hate the sound of a Les Paul.(I'm a strat man, myself.)
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 09:51:34 PM »
Like SunDummy, I've always has very sensitive hearing... and it's to the point that I can't go to a movie theatre without plugging my ears.  Loud levels cause my right ear to make a distorted crackling sound...

Interesting...  really high levels of sound actually make me dizzy.  Using a circular saw in an enclosed space (like a basement) is a no-no for me; it actually gets me so woozy that my eyes can't focus.  Scary.  I think it has to do with the high sound levels causing the inner-ear balance system to go out of whack, making me feel dizzy.  I must just have very sensitive ears.

As for degenerative tinnitus, I'm no expert, but I think it does get worse with age (or more exposure to loud sounds.)

I never could tolerate TV, even as a kid.  It wasn't just the shows, it was the wirhihidhaoeihrgggggggggg that I would hear everytime it came on.

That's funny; I can hear that horrible ultra-high whine from TV's, computer CRT's, etc. when no one else can.  My wife thinks I'm nuts.  Turning off the offending appliance is like taking my hand out of boiling water...  ah, bliss...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 09:59:13 PM by SunDummy »
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 05:19:44 AM »
That's funny; I can hear that horrible ultra-high whine from TV's, computer CRT's, etc. when no one else can.
Heh, you too?  I'd often hear the TV in the other room, left on by accident on video mode (so it looked off) and my parents would always wonder how I knew it was on without seeing it.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 08:32:57 AM »
I have hearing loss and a constant ringing in my ears, (the high-pitched whine). Sometimes it's super loud, and sometimes I don't notice it, but that's just because I'm used to it. Part of the reason could be that it's hereditary, (all the women on my mom's side wore hearing aids). Or it could be from having constant ear infections as a child, (and no money to go to the doctor). I'm sure that a big part of it has to with when I owned a music venue for a few years and had loud shows at least three nights a week, (sometimes more). I sure wish now that I had worn earplugs back then!  :( 
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 09:58:44 AM »
I also suffer from tinnitus for most of my life, I can remember having it as a kid. But my left ear has the most problems, starting about 6 years ago when I had a severe ear infection, the tinnitus has become more pronounced in that ear ever since. The strange thing is the pitch seems to change, some days its very low, on a good day its very high and hardly noticeable. I've also ruptured me left eardrum twice in my life which has added other problems like some frequencies easily distorting.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 10:15:38 AM »
I have tinnitus that I would characterize as moderate, and I usually don't notice it unless I really try to focus on it.  I consciously block it out, and other background sounds tend to help cover it up.

Last month, I underwent an industrial hearing test, in a soundproof chamber with special noise-blocking headphones.  It was the quietest environment in which I've found myself in a long time.  Even my studio has various background noises all the time, even when I turn off my noisy G4 Mac.  During the hearing test, the tinnitus was much more apparent and distracting, and I realized it was there all the time but usually close enough to the threshold of ambient sound that I'm able to filter it out.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 01:53:35 PM »
I must say I sympathise with you people who suffer from Tinnitus, I had a bad ear infection earlier
this year, causing considerable (temporary - thank god!) hearing loss. This was replaced by very
loud high frequency ringing, as well as experiencing a very unpleasant sense of isolation, which
gave me a glimpse into the world of people with hearing loss issues.

It cleared up, but I have some slight ringing, which isn't a great surprise considering all the
loud music and headphone listening I've exposed myself to over the years.

Otherwise, my hearing is VERY sensitive and I hate noise generally and find low-flying military
aircraft to be the worst. At least you voluntarily choose to expose yourself to huge levels of
sound at a Rock concert !

cheers
Pete

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 02:08:14 PM »
I played in bands for a good 15 years, averaging about 3 nights a week over that period (i was very involved in the live scene- it was my main income then) and my friend davin, who was across the stage from me for most of that time, developed tinnitis-  he was the keyboard player, and the drum kit (the main source of danger for musicians) was to his left side.  the drum kit was to my right, and I have no tinnitis (that i can notice anyway).  I read recently that both ears have a slightly different function, (as in one ear orients, and one ear listens, or something like that) and I wonder what ear do people here have tinnitis in? (or do you have it in both ears?)  I wonder if there is some correlation, or susceptibility to noise in either ear.
Listen to deepspace here: http://deepspacehome.com

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 02:14:10 PM »
Another thought....when i was studying and performing opera (which was after my band days), I was read that is was advisable to get the wax build up in my ears cleaned out every few years.  I went to the doctor, and he did it for me.  The difference was astonishing!  There was a massive difference in clarity.  I'm kind of glad that I didn't have that wax removed while I was playing in bands though, because maybe that protected me from tinnitis. 

So, to any new musicians performing live, maybe think twice about cleaning your ears out regularly!
Who here is an ear washer? :)  I never did it. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 02:16:43 PM by deepspace »

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 02:32:24 PM »
My wife just said something very funny, regarding this thread:
I told her that a lot of ambient musicians are saying that they have tinnitus, at least in this thread, and she replied: "That's not tinnitus, that's just the music they're listening to."

Judging by some of the more minimal ambient music out there, she may be right. :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 12:14:30 AM by deepspace »

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 04:03:11 PM »
Good thread. My first concert was Led Zep in 75, then many, many concerts over the years sans protection. Then (though with protection) there's the drag racing...and centrefire calibre gunfire. Yet no problem. However, I flew once with a headcold in 2003 or 4 and ended up in agony in the Portland airport like I had an icepick in my left ear. Hello tinnitus. Left ear predominant and not too bad but still...

I'm sure drone fans are subconciously masking their tinnitus.

BTW Harold Budd told me he has tinnitus from his days in the military in the 50s when firing practice did not involve hearing protection. So we're in good company!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 04:05:09 PM by Mark Mushet »

Undershadow

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 04:06:18 PM »

Ear-ie (geddit?) new work by Jacob Kierkegaard might be of interest:

http://fonik.dk/works/labyrinthitis.html

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 05:52:26 PM »
Too many gigs... too many loud drummers... yeah - a bit of hearing loss here.   I don't like dead silence - I've always preferred a fan in the background.   
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 09:04:08 PM »
Oh wow, this is actually really amazing.  I had no idea so many of you suffer from forms of tinnitus - and those of you who are artists can relate.  I too am suffering from this annoying condition.  Mine's related mostly to a form of arthritis - although I tested negative for AIED (Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease) which is good, it didn't change the fact I have a constant VERY loud high pitch ringing in my right ear.

A few years ago I lost my hearing completely for a little over a year... it miraculously returned - after having many bouts of vertigo - and things were really good in my right ear for about 2 years.  As of March of 2008 I have had this annoying tinnitus non-stop.

Things I have noticed that do help me are low salt diet, exercise and Ring Stop (an herbal pill).  None of these have eliminated the tinnitus entirely and often calm it down only slightly, but these could help some of you.  I tried acupuncture  and it didn't really do anything - although I only went a few times.

I was ill last week and didn't eat much and I noticed a marked drop in the tinnitus volume to the point I just didn't think about it.  I really do believe that there is a link between food/diet and the tinnitus for a lot of people, including myself.  Having said that, there's no doubt that my condition also contributes to the problem.

It's a really tough thing to experience, so I guess we're all in the same boat in varying degrees.

J.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 09:24:12 PM »
The discussion makes me wonder if I might have some mild form of tinnitus, too.  On occasion, I'll hear high pitched ringing when my sinuses are congested, but it doesn't seem to be triggered by anything, and it goes away after a short while.  Of course, there have been those occasions when I have experienced severe temporary ear pain when I have patched out of a mixer when I should have patched in.  Probably the worst sustained ringing I experienced was when I attended a Glenn Branca performance without any ear protection.  9 highly amped guitars and a pounding drummer at an indoor pier.  My ears rang for nearly a week afterwards (though it was a great performance).

I'm also sensitive to high pitched sounds.  Wierdly, I can distinguish individual pitches that comprise my computer's hum.

Forrest

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 10:03:25 PM »
This is an interesting thread. I, too have tinnitus. I am older than most of you , so a certain amount of hearing problems are to be expected, but I think I have more than most my age. I played in rock bands in my teens and twenties and went to concerts , listened to loud music on stereos and headphones, etc. I always thought it was somewhat hereditary as my father wore a hearing aid in his forties. He was an army helicopter and fixed wing pilot back in the days before the military started requiring hearing protection , so that might have had alot to do with it.     Harry
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 12:03:38 AM »
Ok, this is pretty amazing. 
Lots of tinnitus here-  Why is this do you think? 

1. Is it a condition that is very prevalent in society, more than we think?
2. Is it because a lot of ambient musician were once more conventional (making you literally post-rock...)
3. Are we looking at a generation (or three) or modern listeners who are now seeing some of the problems of a lifetime of listening to music on equipment that can be played at loud volumes.
4. Is tinnitus actually not really related to sound exposure.
5.  Is this a very common condition for studio musicians?

What do you think?