Author Topic: 2008 winter weather  (Read 24654 times)

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
2008 winter weather
« on: December 17, 2008, 11:29:28 AM »
We're having some "weather drama" here in Portland, and the rest of the NW as well, actually.  Snow pretty rare for us, and when it does snow or ice up, usually a couple days later it melts and we're back to normal.  This week, we had a couple inches of snow, which isn't much, but it's remained below freezing, and very windy, ever since.

I know this wouldn't qualify as "drama" for those of you in the upper midwest, or most of the NE states, but for us it's a big deal.  The schools are all closed, the roads are mostly empty, and many businesses are closed.  TV stations are cutting in with "weather alert" features all day and night.

The steep road into and out of our own neighborhood has stranded cars along one side, all scraped and dented and banged-up where other cars have skidded off them while trying to deal with the hill.

Grocery store shelves are bare, as some deliveries are not arriving, and many people came in and bought up all the milk and bread and soda pop and chips (the staples of life, obviously) they could haul away.

It doesn't look like any big emergency when you look out the window but people are definitely reacting to it as if it were a big deal.

So, what about where you live?
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
Re: 2008 winter weather
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 12:05:38 PM »
Hi Mike - We have a steep hill by our house and sometimes watch cars sliding/gliding down the hill into parked cars.

Since you asked - From the Weatheroffice at Environment Canada:

WOCN11 CWTO 171519 CCA
Special weather statement
Corrected by Environment Canada Ontario region.
10:19 AM EST Wednesday 17 December 2008.

Special weather statement issued for..
City of Toronto
Windsor - Essex - Chatham-Kent
Sarnia - Lambton
Elgin
London - Middlesex
Simcoe - Delhi - Norfolk
Dunnville - Caledonia - Haldimand
Oxford - Brant
Niagara
City of Hamilton
Halton - Peel
York - Durham
Huron - Perth
Waterloo - Wellington
Dufferin - Innisfil
Grey - Bruce
Barrie - Orillia - Midland
Belleville - Quinte - Northumberland
Kingston - Prince Edward
Peterborough - Kawartha Lakes
Stirling - Tweed - South Frontenac
Bancroft - Bon Echo Park
Brockville - Leeds and Grenville
City of Ottawa
Gatineau
Prescott and Russell
Cornwall - Morrisburg
Smiths Falls - Lanark - Sharbot Lake
Parry Sound - Muskoka
Haliburton
Renfrew - Pembroke - Barry's Bay
Algonquin
Burk's Falls - Bayfield Inlet.

..Could this be snow-mageddon?..

Environment Canada is generally not prone to exaggeration unless
there is deemed to be a real threat. We evaluate weather information
and prediction models in a measured, scientific manner and couple
that with overall impacts for significant events.

Mother nature from time to time will line up a near perfect set of
conditions that generate a series of significant events. That time
appears to be the coming week or so for many portions of southern
Ontario in the form of snow storms. There appears to the right
balance of sufficiently cold air in place, with Arctic highs to
The north and a storm track along the lower Great Lakes. The term
'snow-mageddon' is not meant to alarm anyone or make light of the
situation, but to highlight the cumulative effects and impacts that
A series of snow storms can have on a wide region.

A blanket of 10 centimetres has just fallen across much of the lower
Great Lakes. But a much more significant snow storm is targeting the
region on Friday. Most weather guidance continues to track a storm
centre from Colorado on Thursday to just south of the Great Lakes on
Friday. It appears heavy snow accompanied by strong easterly winds
will create a particularly nasty snow event. Accumulations may well
reach or exceed 15 to 20 centimetres. Strong easterly winds gusting
to 50 or 60 km/h will compound the severity of the storm with
appreciable blowing and drifting snow and very poor visibilities.
There is also the possibility of ice pellets or freezing rain mixed
with the snow from the southwest and east across Niagara. A winter
storm watch will likely be issued later today for this Friday event.

There are strong indications of another significant storm on Sunday.
It may very well be similar to the Friday storm with strong easterly
winds and heavy snow possibly followed by a wintery mix of ice
pellets, freezing rain or rain for more some locales.

Total accumulations from the Wednesday, Friday and Sunday events may
reach 50 centimetres in some areas. The cumulative effects of these
three storms will make travel over this pre-Christmas period very
difficult at times. Stay tuned for Environment Canada updates on
these developing situation.

*** PS - My calculator says 10cm is about 3.94 inches
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 12:09:15 PM by Scott M2 »

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 12:34:25 PM »
Not much going on here, north of Spokane WA.  It's snowing; we should get a foot or two over the next two days.  It's been cold (-10F) for the last few nights, with highs near zero F, but nothing too severe. 

Apparently it doesn't usually get this cold here (last winter it never got below zero at my house at all), so the local news has been pretty funny.  They showed some folks shoveling sidewalks in Sandpoint, Idaho (about an hour east of me), and interviewed them (it was 7 degrees F).  One woman had a furry-hooded parka, a down jacket, a wool sweater, and several layers of thermalwear - she was complaining about the nasty cold.   ::)  Then they interviewed a woman walking on the sidewalk; she was dressed for the Iditarod, face-mask and all.   :o  Finally, they talked to a guy wearing a baseball hat, jeans, and a flannel shirt under a light barn coat.  "Aren't you cold?" asked the incredulous reporter, shivering in her heavy down full-length jacket.  "No," he said, looking kinda confused, "I'm from Wisconsin."   ;D

I understand Colorado is getting hammered with snow, and Montana is in a deep freeze.  Everything seems to miss us here...
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 02:06:35 PM »
We've had unusually cold weather here in (usually) semi-tropical San Antonio, Texas. Tuesday a.m. we had temps in the high '20's and 35 mph winds which is cold for us. I had to dig through my closets to find a coat that was suitable. I got some great comments at the airport that night about how my coat was probably in style 30 years ago ;D ,but at least I was warm. Luckily we didn't have any precip or it would of been bad as San Antonio is built entirely on hills. We don't have snow removal equipment down here. One funny thing that happened Tuesday morning was that the highway department spread a new de-icing agent on all of the bridges on the highways. There was no ice and the agent became very slippery and caused over 200 accidents that morning.       Harry
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 03:06:10 PM »
We're having some "weather drama" here in Portland, and the rest of the NW as well, actually. 
It doesn't look like any big emergency when you look out the window but people are definitely reacting to it as if it were a big deal.

So, what about where you live?

Well clearly this disproves the "theory" of "global warming" so...  ;)

Um, it's cold and snowy and it's going to be distinctly difficult for me to get a cartoon across town for scanning. Watched "The Proposition" last night. An Australian western written by Nick Cave. Though set in the broiling outback it had a Christmas theme! 

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 03:13:32 PM »

Though I know you're kidding... I just had a friend in town for past 5 days who is a "global climate change denier" and he said this same thing, when the ice storm started:  "Hmm, obviously you're right about global warming!"

I'll bet climatologists wish they'd never come up with the term "global warming" in the first place.  Even though they tried backtrack and say "The phenomenon we're talking about really should be called global climate change," it seems like the horse already left the barn as far as that meme sticking.  Now every time there's an ice storm, or a cold winter, or even a rainy summer, people are making the same "so much for global warming" jokes.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 03:47:42 PM »
It's been much colder than normal for us in mid-Michigan since before the middle of November. Most days 5 to 10 degrees below normal, sometimes 20. Very snowy, too. And as Scott says, we're about to be hit with 2 more major storms on Friday and Sunday.

On the plus side, this cold weather means I've been able to ice fish for 2 weeks now. But the heavy snow might fuck that up.

On the minus side, I work outside, and it's already getting hard to slog through the snow all day long. Also, the frost is already a foot deep in the ground in some places, which means we've had to break out the jack hammer much earlier and much more often than in usual years.

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 04:36:03 PM »
okay..I am going to throw my .02cents in here on another theory that I think most people have never thought of...
I will say yes, part of the climate change is probably due to the 'global warming' but another part I think most people over look is that the earth does change the axis around the sun every few thousands of years and due to this the earth shifting parts of it's surface away from the sun, etc. that maybe this is the other part cause for our climate change..

think back to the past ice ages, etc extreme climage changes we had thousands of years ago...do you think back then there were cars, etc???

Though I know you're kidding... I just had a friend in town for past 5 days who is a "global climate change denier" and he said this same thing, when the ice storm started:  "Hmm, obviously you're right about global warming!"

I'll bet climatologists wish they'd never come up with the term "global warming" in the first place.  Even though they tried backtrack and say "The phenomenon we're talking about really should be called global climate change," it seems like the horse already left the barn as far as that meme sticking.  Now every time there's an ice storm, or a cold winter, or even a rainy summer, people are making the same "so much for global warming" jokes.
Twitter: ImagineerR
Facebook: www.facebook.com/einstein36

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 04:54:12 PM »
I didn't intend to turn this toward a "climate change debate" but... Einstein36, the people who suggested the theory of human-caused global climate change are scientists, and they do take into account other longer-term variations aside from just human-caused changes in the atmosphere's CO2 level.  It's not as if climatologists forgot that we've had ice ages before.

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 05:07:51 PM »
:)...hehehe..I know that....
but I just get kind of annoyed with the people that say it's 'all human caused' global warming.. ;D
Twitter: ImagineerR
Facebook: www.facebook.com/einstein36

SunDummy

• View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 05:23:23 PM »
[thread drift] There was a good article about climate change in Scientific America last year; they listed a dozen or so "forcings" - things that cause temperature changes in one direction or another.  For instance, Albedo cools the earth; CO2 heats it; etc.  For each forcing, they included theoretical min/max figures, and a bell curve of where the various models put the forcing (either toward cooling or toward warming.  Most forcings had at least part of the bell curve on the line between cool/heat.  The gist of the article is that when all forcings are accounted for, the net result is warming.

Orbital changes were one of the forcings, if I remember correctly. 

[/thread drift]
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 05:29:38 PM »
I'd normally be totally OK with a science debate on this forum, but for some reason this scientific debate seems to divide sharply on political lines (liberals/democrats tend to believe in human-caused global climate change, conservatives/republicans tend to the reverse), so we'd better not!

SunDummy

• View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 05:32:44 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Agreed...

Back to snow - so who's getting pounded?!

www.sundummy.com

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 06:04:37 PM »
Nothin' but sun and highs in the mid-70's today.  Global Warming is alive and well in Charleston SC  ;)

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 08:15:37 PM »
Colder than normal December here in MN....been either below zero or single digits since Sunday night. About 6 inches of snow on the ground (ice storm on Sunday), with 4-5 expected tomorrow night and up to 10 inches between Sunday and Monday. Very "Christmasy" in appearance but lots and lots of fender benders because the temp is too cold for road salt to melt the ice storm residue from Sunday...so underneath all the new snow is an inch of glazed ice...good times, indeed!!!  ;D

Main arterials and side streets are slippery as shit and the freeways are parking lots at rush hour (unusual for the Twin Cities). Too cold to walk dogs unless they are wearing "booties" so Mamie has to be content to stay in the backyard. We'll be like this, the forecasters say, until after Christmas.

THIS IS WHY GOD INVENTED BOURBON AND SCOTCH!  ;D

Oh, in case I forget to say it in the interim...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!!

May 2009 be a great year for you all!!!

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 08:19:27 PM »

Same to you, Bill ... and to other forum inhabitors  (posters and non-posters).

APK
www.dataobscura.com
http://dataobscura.bandcamp.com
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 09:18:34 PM »

Same to you, Bill ... and to other forum inhabitors  (posters and non-posters).

APK

Likewise, Bill!  It's been a relatively balmly upper 40s in the Bay Area today.  Yesterday, there was snow in San Francisco, which was downright bizarre.  I've been hunkered down, getting my last minute online shopping done before Christmas.

Forrest

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 02:38:18 AM »
I'm up here in Seattle, and really get a kick out of the drama surrounding any hint of snow. It's nearly 2am and I'm not seeing the snow everyone has been mentioning in hushed tones. I want the winter wonder land. It snowed a couple days ago and I find it wonderful, but too short-lived. The moonlight on the snow covered roofs the other night was gorgeous, but it melted too fast. Even my wife, who is from a totally snow bound freezing city, has been freaking out about the snow, afraid for me to go out. I think people's panic attacks about the snow while driving might lead to more accidents than the actual snow. Seattle drivers are a bit timid. Gotta love 'em though.

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 08:15:26 AM »
Here in Wisconsin we've settled into a pattern of one storm after another with little time for the accumulation to recede.  We are going to get another foot tonight, then more over the weekend & more next week.  The worst part is my snowblower broke! >:(  So our fairly large driveway will have to be done the old fashioned way...tell the kids to get out there & shovel!

The TV station I work at is gearing up for "storm center" all out coverage.  It's Wisconsin for chrissake, we get snow here.  So unless it's a school closing type of event I'd rather not see 6 reporters, with rulers & matching parkas, doing live shots for hours on end.  But we keep doing it because the ratings are good and it's simple, doesn't require too much thought or insight.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 09:42:52 AM »
As much as the "storm alert" or "arctic blast" TV news features are stupid, repetitive, and annoying... I have to admit that when there's some kind of weather thing happening, I do turn on the TV and look for channels with just exactly that. 

Invariably, I find some dopey reporter standing on the Sylvan overpass (that's always where Portland reporters stand during a storm for their live "look at the snow and ice behind me" reportage) looking cold and wind-blown and unhappy, and I watch for a while.  That's what the TV channel wanted, so I guess it works.