Author Topic: 2008 winter weather  (Read 21101 times)

Seren

• View Profile
Re: 2008 winter weather
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 10:23:09 AM »
We'll we have not had a cold winter in some years - even frost is not as hard as it used to be.....I worked for a number of years in forestry and everyone said the same, need a good cold winter to kill off the bugs.....

I believe there were a couple of cold ones in the early 60's and 1946-47 was also particularly bad. In North wales in the 46-47 one people were able to walk across fields over the hedges as the snow was so deep, many farm animals died. Food parcels were dropped on cut off villages by the air force - some cars abandoned in december were not picked up till about March. Some snow drifts were 20 feet deep...

This is of course in the southern UK, Scotland and Northern England do get a lot more snow - but I think they were even harder hit in the years I mentioned.

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 11:07:55 AM »
After 54 years in Wisconsin and Minnesota, I don't mind the cold and snow too much, but what I find myself liking less and less is the duration of the winter here in Minnesota. In Milwaukee, winter is starting to recede by early to mid-March. Here, it can linger into early April. And it sometimes starts shortly after Halloween. Ideally, I'd like snow and cold from Thanksgiving until the end of January. When we get near zero temps as early as the first week in December or as late as mid-February, it just sucks.

The upside, though, is that after that long cold dark night, when that first 40 degree day comes, I ride around with the car windows down and wear only a sweater when I go out! It feels positively balmy.

And I'd wager no state in the country features weather in the news more prominently than Minnesota. Our weathermen/weatherwomen are far and away the most "celebrity" of all local news team members. Dave Dahl and Paul Douglas are gods here in the Twin Cities, and Mike Fairbourne ain't far behind. When Paul Douglas was let go from WCCO-TV, you'd think someone shot the mayor with the public outcry that occurred.

And weather is what EVERYONE talks about - ALL THE TIME. I'd hazard a guess that more people in Minnesota can explain Doppler radar, wall clouds, and "hook echoes" than just about anywhere else. Ya, you betcha!

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 11:09:28 AM »
Who needs a weather man when there's ice and snow for 5 months a year, and the temp never gets above freezing?
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 11:47:22 AM »
Yesterday, there was snow in San Francisco, which was downright bizarre. 

I can report that we also had snow in parts of Los Angeles yesterday as well, very unusual. Not where I live but it nearly got cold enough here to snow as well. Our high was 50F, but once the rain started the temperatures dropped and by mid afternoon were in the low 40s.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 12:57:37 PM »
And weather is what EVERYONE talks about - ALL THE TIME. I'd hazard a guess that more people in Minnesota can explain
Doppler radar, wall clouds, and "hook echoes" than just about anywhere else. Ya, you betcha!

Thanks Bill!  I now have more titles for pieces on my next album.    ;)

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2008, 01:34:58 PM »
Full on real snow blizzard here in Seattle! No work for anyone. It is absolutely gorgeous...

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2008, 02:00:07 PM »
Schools were closed today in most of Portland, but it's 40 degrees and mostly clear skies, and there's almost not a trace of snow anywhere to be seen.

But we're still in "winter storm warning" mode on the news.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2008, 02:04:13 PM »
Twenty inches in Spokane over the past two days, and more coming; easily two feet in my driveway.  I blew snow for three hours last night so I could get out.  I left for the airport at 8am, got there at 10:45 (it's an hour drive normally), only to find that my flight to MSP was canceled, and I was now scheduled to leave at 7am tomorrow.   >:(

I'm just gonna skip the trip, blow out my driveway (again), and go skiing all weekend.   ;D
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2008, 02:56:51 PM »
It was chilly at Disney World last weekend, but cares, it's Disney World! ;D
It's warmer now.  Actually quite warm this week.  Great for riding the Kawasaki.
The family's going to St. Pete this weekend.
Happy Happy.
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2008, 03:25:45 PM »
hahaha..I don't know about you guys...but this stupid west texas weather here....high in the 60's one day and this weekend, they are saying maybe the highest 32 or so maybe:)....brrrr...I think I am going to move to Hawaii:)

I'd normally be totally OK with a science debate on this forum, but for some reason this scientific debate seems to divide sharply on political lines (liberals/democrats tend to believe in human-caused global climate change, conservatives/republicans tend to the reverse), so we'd better not!
Twitter: ImagineerR
Facebook: www.facebook.com/einstein36

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2008, 04:16:28 PM »
here in pittsburgh we are having a typical late fall - in other words, the weather changes dramatically day to day. earlier this week we had serious winter conditions and today the temps were in the 50's.
the conditions that mike described are a shrug of the shoulders to most pittsburghers. there are some, however, who have not mastered the art (yes, it is an art) of driving in the snow and ice. we have lots of hills here and when climbing a hill the best advice is DO NOT STOP UNLESS YOU HAVE TO STOP! well, some bleeping bleep was driving up a hill in front of me and he just hit his brakes for no bleeping reason at all - no cars, no stop sign - nothing. he just stopped. and he could not get going again. he sat there and spun his wheels as i just zipped around him at 20 mph, laughing heartily.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2008, 04:17:25 PM »
AN ANNOTATED THERMOMETER
From this site: http://www.mcg.net/nelson/humor/cold.htm
(I've highlighted my two "home states" 'cause we are indeed bad-asses when it comes to this weather...even if I'm starting to wuss out a bit ;) )

+50
New York tenants turn on the heat
Minnesotans plant gardens
+40
Californians shiver uncontrollably
Minnesotans sunbathe
+35
Italian cars don't start
+32
Distilled water freezes
+30
You can see your breath
You plan a vacation in Florida
Politicians begin to worry about the homeless
Minnesotans eat ice cream
+25
Boston water freezes
Californians weep pitiably
Cat insists on sleeping on your bed with you
+20
Cleveland water freezes
San Franciscans start thinking favorably of LA
Green Bay Packers fans put on T-shirts
+15
You plan a vacation in CANCUN!!!!!
Minnesotans go swimming
+10
Too cold to snow
You need jumper cables to get the car going
New York landlords turn on the heat
You can hear your breath
You plan a vacation to Hawaii
American cars don't start
Too cold to skate
You can cut your breath and use it to build an igloo
Miamians cease to exist
Minnesotans lick flagpoles
Cat insists on sleeping in your pajamas with you
People in LaCrosse think about taking down screens
Too cold to kiss
You need jumper cables to get the driver going
Japanese cars don't start
Minnesota Twins head for spring training
You plan a two-week hot bath
Minnesotans shovel snow off roof
Mercury freezes
Too cold to think
Minnesotans button top button
Californians disappear
Car insists on sleeping in your bed with you
Minnesotans put on sweaters
Congressional hot air freezes
Alaskans close the bathroom window
Green Bay Packers practice indoors
Walruses abandon Aleutians
Minnesotans put gloves away, take out mittens
Boy Scouts in Eau Claire start Klondike Derby
Minneapolis residents replace diving boards with hockey nets
Ridgeway snowmobilers organize trans-river race to Buffalo, WI
Polar bears abandon Baffin Island
Girl Scouts in Eau Claire start Klondike Derby
Lawyers chase ambulances for no more than 10 miles
Wisconsinites migrate to Minnesota thinking it MUST be warmer
Minnesotans pull down earflaps
Ethyl alcohol freezes
Superconductivity
Helium becomes a liquid
Illinois drivers drop below 85 MPH on I-90
Incumbent politician renounces a campaign contribution
-460 (Absolute Zero)
All atomic motion ceases
Minnesotans agree as to how it's getting a "mite nippy"

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2008, 04:36:06 PM »
Here in San Diego, CA, we've had a few days of rain(snow in the mountains), with more expected for Christmas. Where I live by the ocean, the temps got all the way down to a chilly 52 degrees!!!   ;D

So, before my fingers freeze and I can't hit 'play' on the CD player anymore, Happy Holidays to everyone.   :)

Mike and Lena, thanks for letting us play in your yard.
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2008, 07:38:54 PM »
No snow here in Fullerton yet.  :)  However I was driving on the freeways this morning and noticed that the mountains to the north, Baldy, Big Bear, Mt. Wilson, etc., are totally pelted with snow and it looks like its down to the 1000 ft. level. To the east Saddleback might occasionally get lightly dusted around its top and it was totally pelted along with its surrounding mountains, very unusual. The rain and snow is supposed to do an encore next week starting on monday for a cold snow pelted Christmas. I'm going to have to get in some skiing or try snowboarding!

Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2008, 09:32:18 AM »
When we last checked-in here, we were a couple of days into a snow storm in Portland, and our snow storms usually don't last more than a day or two.  This time, though, there has been no real let-up, just a couple of days where the roads were mostly clear, in the middle of long, multi-day snow and ice storms.  Many roads and highways are closed, schools remained completely closed right up until Christmas vacation officially started, and government offices are closed (which got me out of jury duty today, thanks very much).

This is double the duration of the biggest winter storm in Portland during my lifetime, and it's not over yet.  Today, some of the roads have been plowed but there's still a foot or two of snow on many of the side streets.  Last night I had to dig through snowdrifts of up to two feet, to clear out the driveway.

All kinds of drama... I think it's kind of fun, mostly, though I didn't enjoy all the time I spent shoveling snow yesterday.

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2008, 10:55:33 AM »
and fresh powder for skiing (but I don't ski).

My condolences.   ;D

I've been running the snowblower for 2 hours every other day for the past week just to keep the upper half of my driveway clear; this week, I'm going to have to buy an ATV with a plow to make it easier.  We went from almost nothing to over three feet in only 10 days, and I'm only at 2500 ft. - the peaks around here are getting much more.  It's absolutely beautiful (although the roads are pretty nasty), and not supposed to stop for another few days. 

Yee-haw! 
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2008, 10:57:32 AM »
well...at least someone shut the door up there since here in West texas we are finally getting to a high of 60 or so today...YAY!!!....the last few days, barely saw above 32 or so......freezing down here..
Twitter: ImagineerR
Facebook: www.facebook.com/einstein36

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2008, 07:49:10 AM »
About 2 feet of snow in 3 storms within 5 days here (first major snow of the year) and ice storm week before where I lost power for 2 days (my sister lives 30 mins north and she was out 9 days, Robin's (my g/f) sister was out for 11 days and she's way out in the boonies compared to where I/Robin lives (not easy to get to).

cookie monster

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2008, 07:05:21 PM »
I live in Japan near the Tokyo area. Tokyo is 15c around 13c in the daytime on an average. January, February are colder. The snow rarely falls temperature rises in global warming and rarely watches snow. When it snows at the place where we live in the area, it get serious damage.
When it snows very much because we are not used to snow, an accident occurs frequently in this area or Tokyo then the ambulance is hectic. The reason is because there are many people whom slip, and is hurt.  :'(

I have a longing for snowy white silver world. ;)
Please stay warm all of you guys  :D

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2008, 11:08:48 PM »
It's hideously hot here in Brisbane, Australia.  The UV rating for today is 16...just to give you an idea- it doesn't get much more dangerous than that.  Heatwise, the temp has been sitting at around 35 degrees celsius.  You pretty much don't go outside during the day.