Author Topic: Another passing for the ambient community... :(  (Read 1863 times)

Numina

• View Profile
Another passing for the ambient community... :(
« on: December 31, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
With permission from Reverend Rick, I am Forwarding this message I received today.  Sad news for the last day of the year, but felt it
important to pass on as Jerry was a great supporter of ambient music over the years and there's surely many here who are familiar with his broadcast "Astreaux World". - Jesse / Numina

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:59:24 -0500

It is with great sadness that I must relay the message that Astreaux (Jerry Asher) has passed away on December 27, 2008.  This is a sad day for us all who knew him and enjoyed his ambient music station "Astreaux World" on Live365.com.  His station is where I was first introduced to this wonderful musical genre many years ago.  He will be deeply missed. http://www.astreauxworld.com
Here is the obituary:

Gerald E. Asher Jr. ASHER Gerald E. (Jerry "Astreaux") Asher, Jr., age 45, passed on Saturday, December 27, 2008. Beloved son who is survived by his parents Gerald E. Asher, Sr. and Margie Legendre Asher, two sisters April A. Suhre and Christine M. Asher, brother-in-law of Kerry Suhre and loving companion Jane Snyder Fitzpatrick. A gifted internet marketing and e-commerce professional, he developed and hosted an internet radio station (www.astreauxworld.com) to share his love for ambient music with fans around the globe. He attended St. Edward the Confessor School, Archbishop Rummel High School '81, UNO and Louisiana Tech. His insightful, witty &
astute sense of humor, love of nature & the outdoors, kindness, generosity and gentle spirit will be greatly missed. Funeral Mass at Leitz-Eagan Funeral Home Chapel, 4747 Veterans Blvd., Metairie, on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 at 11AM. Visitation will begin at 9AM. Interment in Hope Mausoleum. See guest book @ www.legacy.com. In lieu of flowers, donate to Odyssey House, 2436 Governor Nicholls St., New Orleans, LA 70119.

With Condolences,

Reverend Rick

www.soundclick.com/reverend rick

zzzone.net

• a numbers station ||| zzzone.net
    • View Profile
    • zzzone.net
Re: Another passing for the ambient community... :(
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 11:31:45 AM »
Jerry and I both broadcast our ambient stations from New Orleans for years without knowing each other.

One day he was checking out my site and thought he recognized some pictures.

He emailed and we chatted a few times.

Subsequently we both survived Katrina but with significant life changes.

I moved away in late 2006 and had not heard much from him. Lately I noticed that he had not updated his station in a bit.

He will be missed as he no doubt looks down on us from an astral plane.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 11:46:53 AM »
I never knew or heard of Jerry until this notice, but it sounds like he did quite a bit to broaden awareness of ambient music, and of course it's also always sad to hear of someone passing so young.  Rest in peace, Jerry.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 02:05:49 PM »
i, too, had never heard of jerry until this notice. i am particularly intrigued by the request for donations to odyssey house in lieu of flowers. that is a somewhat well-known d&a treatment center, at least to some of us in the business. i can only guess that his life was touched in some way by the work they do at this house (they also do behavioral health).
rest in peace - another friend whom i had not met.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com