Author Topic: sound symbols  (Read 3780 times)

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
sound symbols
« on: December 31, 2008, 06:11:25 PM »
i know there is a numina thread but this cd merits its own. this is - easily - jesse's best work!
the atmospheres are full of subtle nuances and descriptive washes. it  says - "hey, listen to me again" in a very subtle fashion.
great stuff, jesse!
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

drone on

• View Profile
Re: sound symbols
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 01:09:21 PM »
Really?  :o

Wow, well I respectfully disagree.  I think Sanctuary of Dreams is hard to beat, as a whole.  But I do like Sound Symbols.  It is definitely one of the more quiet and subtle works he has released.  I'm going to have to give it a good headphone listen soon.

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 04:06:38 PM »
Jim - thank you for the kudos my friend.  Glad you like it!

I think it turned out quite well considering 80% of it is "live" in the studio and was produced during a time period where I have really had a lot of problems with my hearing and other health issues. As noted, I did perform massive re-mastering and recent overdub work compared to the original to try and warm things up a bit since I felt the original was a tad sparse and raw and felt it needed the rough edges smoothed a bit.

Anyway, I still think my best release is "Sanctuary of Dreams" as well, with "Shift to the Ghost" a very close second.  I went really deep for both of those releases (not that I don't for all the others, those two albums in particular hold special places in my heart and mind). 

Jesse

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 04:25:15 AM »
I gave Sound Symbols a workout on my good headphones, and this is definitely a great disc.  I especially liked the final piece, "Angelic Relic," a real beauty and one of the best Numina tracks to date!