Author Topic: Kevin Drumm - Imperial Distortion  (Read 7385 times)

avec

• View Profile
Kevin Drumm - Imperial Distortion
« on: January 01, 2009, 12:14:47 PM »
I don't know if this has been discussed around here but I think Kevin Drumm's latest release would be appreciated by some people here.  After spending a lot of time with it I've concluded that it is nothing short of incredible.   

Better known in noise circles, he has put together two discs of subliminal feedback drone.  Very immersive and strange, approaching the ambient genre from a skewed perspective.  Challenging the music itself. 

here's a review of it up on mapsadaisacal
http://mapsadaisical.wordpress.com/2008/05/29/kevin-drumm-imperial-distortion-hospital-productions/

previews on boomkat
http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=110844

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
Re: Kevin Drumm - Imperial Distortion
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 01:25:20 PM »
Wow. Reading the Word "Radioland" and Stephan Mathieu, kind of always gets me on board.
But the Samples also sound wonderful. Guess i need this one. Thanks for the recommendation.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 04:08:40 PM »
The samples of this are really nice. Unfortunately, it appears to be unavailable at Boomkat at this time.   :(       Harry
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Undershadow

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 05:10:38 PM »
Doesn't make sense for you US folks to buy it from boomkat where you cop charges for transatlantic shipping. Better to get it from a U.S. supplier. Unfortunately, the cheapest one I know, Ear Rational, is out of stock (http://www.ear-rational.com/detail.php?id=44145), so your best bet would probably be Forced Exposure: (http://www.forcedexposure.com/artists/drumm.kevin.html) as they're a distrib as well as a retailer, so will always keep lots of stock.

This one's a bit of a creeper, I agree. It didn't really grab me so much as sort of slowly sidling up to me and quietly but firmly going 'boo'. FWIW, I've particularly enjoyed a track called "More Blood & Guts".
Says a reviewer: "The tracks have an almost ballad-esque sense of elegance, using tone and frequency as melodic portals to nowhere." before concluding: "While the tones may sound gorgeous in their purity, the mood implies a profound sense of unease and perhaps an acceptance of the inevitability of existential dilemma."

Righty ho then (I like that casual 'perhaps').

And I noted while rummaging around in passing on discogs.com that the label, Hospital Productions, on which Drumm's album is released, is owned by a noise musician by the name of Dominick Fernow, whose projects include the suggestively bemonikered Nihilist Assault Group and Smashed Femur Dance Party. The extensive roster also includes the delightfully dubbed Filthy Turd who has blessed the listening public with such vital expressionist works as "Piss Enema".

There you go. I felt I had to share.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 05:12:13 PM by Undershadow »

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 09:49:24 PM »
Doesn't make sense for you US folks to buy it from boomkat where you cop charges for transatlantic shipping. Better to get it from a U.S. supplier. Unfortunately, the cheapest one I know, Ear Rational, is out of stock (http://www.ear-rational.com/detail.php?id=44145), so your best bet would probably be Forced Exposure: (http://www.forcedexposure.com/artists/drumm.kevin.html) as they're a distrib as well as a retailer, so will always keep lots of stock.
  Thanks for the info. I just ordered it from Forced Exposure.    Harry
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 11:48:27 PM »
Yes a triumphant affair from Mr. Drumm and definitely an artist worth researching.....that is if you like the more bleak side of the drone.  A couple of other releases that tickled my drone pickle were the ones from Jim O'Rourke "Long Night"... must admit it took me about three months to finally understand the work or what I mean is that for some reason the endless drone began to sink in and impress me with it's heavy drone spheres.  Brendan Murray's "Commonwealth" is another release that snuck up on me and for my money it should be in everyone's CD player if you enjoyed "Imperial Distortion" if you’re stateside its super cheap...

The only thing to consider about these pieces of music is that they really do "drone on" I mean seriously find yourself a quiet space with no distractions because it's the type of music where if you get distracted around the 43 minute you have to listen to the whole piece all over again...seriously I am not joking I tried this many times and found myself frustrated when I tried to listen to the music in the background or came back to it a couple hours later.  But when I gave the piece a chance in all its 90 minutes or 60 minutes of glory it was a completely different experience.

Oh and one more that I forgot about and that is well worth a listen….
In Camera – Open Air – Robot Records (really no reason to not like this disc and perhaps my favorite of the bunch probably because it reminds me of “Mirror” and Andrew Chalk)

Then again you should really check out the new piece from Brian Lavelle “Ustrina” and the companion Alistair Crosbie’s “Music For Shipwrecks” as both of these are already contenders for the best of 2009….

Fern

avec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 04:30:46 AM »
those look like some good recommendations ferngerms, I'll check them out

and I agree about having the time to listen to it all without distractions.  Especially since the dynamics of the sound change very suddenly.  if you are doing something else it's easy to forget there's an album on when the volume drops precipitously. 

I noticed that I enjoyed it a lot more when played loud on my speakers, opposed to my headphones.