Author Topic: Are you Synaesthetic? (test here)  (Read 7994 times)

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
Are you Synaesthetic? (test here)
« on: January 06, 2009, 07:41:08 PM »
I've always suspected that I am slightly synaesthetic, and seeing I've been reading a lot of material on the brain recently, I decided to do a test.  Try it out here. 

http://www.synesthete.org/index.php

It can be a short test (5mins) to a long one (30mins+), depending on which areas you want to test.  I did colour-numbers, chords and instruments, the main areas that I feel I have synesthesia in.  According to this test, I'm instrument-synesthetic, but only mildly synesthetic (maybe not at all) in numbers and chords.  I always felt that pieces of music have certain colours, but this test was not available here.

Try to do the test by feel, rather than trying to remember which colours you picked.

Listen to deepspace here: http://deepspacehome.com

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
Re: Are you Synaesthetic? (test here)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 09:07:39 PM »
"It appears that you may experience some forms of synesthesia."

Well, this is interesting. This is the response I got from the first round of questions. I have to enter my personal info to continue, so I paused for a bit. I found the initial questions to be not exactly what I experience, but parallel. For instance the first sip of my morning espresso will often make me see a shape in my inner eye, or in fact imagine a whole scene in my mind that symbolizes the abstractness of the taste. Not sure if this is an overactive imagination, or some actual thing described by the term synesthesia. Music definitely does strange things for my inner eye. The thing that is interesting to me, is where does a powerfully imagined image fit in, as opposed to actual perception of sounds as colors?  Are these phenomena different?

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 10:14:58 PM »
Very interesting, 9dragons.

I too have always had experiences that my be a kind of synesthesia, but I don't really know.  For example, I see number lines as a specific shape and shade - counting up from one, the line follows a contour, getting brighter or darker as it goes, getting steeper or flatter in sections, etc.  Same with the alphabet, but the 'path' is very different.  Calendars also flow kinda in a 3D loop, changing steepness and color as it goes.  But I don't know if this is synesthetic, or just the way my brain visualizes things to aid in memory or calculations.

I might have to take the test, I just don't want to have to register...   ???
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 12:49:40 AM »
"It appears that you may experience some forms of synesthesia."

Well, this is interesting. This is the response I got from the first round of questions. I have to enter my personal info to continue, so I paused for a bit. I found the initial questions to be not exactly what I experience, but parallel. For instance the first sip of my morning espresso will often make me see a shape in my inner eye, or in fact imagine a whole scene in my mind that symbolizes the abstractness of the taste. Not sure if this is an overactive imagination, or some actual thing described by the term synesthesia. Music definitely does strange things for my inner eye. The thing that is interesting to me, is where does a powerfully imagined image fit in, as opposed to actual perception of sounds as colors?  Are these phenomena different?

That's very interesting.  There are many different types of synesthesia.  Some are 'seen' in the mind's eye, some are just felt, some colours actually physically appear infront of the person, in more intense cases.  The coffee thing sounds like a form of synesthesia-  I'm thinking of the taste/colour variety, not that i'm an expert.

It's a very fascinating condition, one in which the senses haven't seperated properly, (as they do sometime in early childhood) so you're left with the same experience that a baby would have, which is to have colours/sounds/taste kind of overlap in a messy way.  It's a fairly rare condition, and it's fairly well documented that many more musicians/artists experience it than non-artistic folks (maybe because artists would become more aware of it)   Yes, I've been reading a lot of Oliver Sacks recently....

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 10:17:03 AM »
Not a bit.  I don't even think of the color orange or the taste or smell when I hear the word.  I tend to think things such as there is no english word that rhymes with orange, how many recipes do I know with oranges, or try to remember the molecular structure of ascorbic acid.

Maybe it just means I'm a nerd.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:24:01 AM by oenyaw »
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 02:49:03 PM »
Not a bit.  I don't even think of the color orange or the taste or smell when I hear the word.  I tend to think things such as there is no english word that rhymes with orange, how many recipes do I know with oranges, or try to remember the molecular structure of ascorbic acid.

Maybe it just means I'm a nerd.

Yes, but nerds are the coolest people in the world to me. :)

michael sandler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 04:32:46 PM »
Totally negative test results for me, which I suspected. I never got what people are talking about when they say they see colors in music. Actually, I sometimes do, but then I realize it is the same colors that are on the album cover.

What I do see is shapes, very clearly. They would be hard to describe, but if you could do a screen dump of my brain they would be real figures you could construct in plain old Euclidian space.

Of course when I try to think about them they fade away.

Mike S

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 10:13:42 AM »
A complete zero for me on the synaesthetic test as well. I've always thought synesthesia was over hyped.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 02:07:20 PM »
I'm not Synaesthetic, just synthetic. - J.  ;D

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 12:29:33 AM »
I don't think synesthesia means anything other than that your senses haven't seperated properly, at least that's the basic physiological explanation.  I think people are very curious about it, maybe because it feels like you have access to something others don't.  But, like perfect pitch, you certainly don't need to have any of these slightly rare conditions to write great music.  I think musicians are always concerned that others have more access to 'music', either through notions of talent, physiological differences, such as synesthesia and perfect pitch.  And I think that the idea of these things having any bearing on your musical fruition are largely romanticised (....I'm sure Undershadow's ear just pricked up).  In other words, you write what you write, despite who you are and what goes through your mind.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 02:04:28 AM by deepspace »

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 05:40:38 AM »
I came out as 'no' on the first set of questions too.

I do go into a 'trance' when listening to music and have had out of body experiences when listening but i don't think that counts as synaesthesisa. My wife tells me I go off planet when making music too, taking a couple of hours to land when finished. Once got so deep into some drumming that I did not recognise her when she walked past me....

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »
no synaesthasia here.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

headonist

• trawling around
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 10:58:15 AM »
I have synaesthesia, and I've did a test with a friend some time ago. I wrote down the whole alphabet, including all numbers from zero to nine, and attached a color to it. Then I answered her when she randomly picked letters and numbers and I did pick the right color for it everytime.

However this is much more difficult with music. Because my synaesthesia with music varies alot everytime. For reasons I don't know of. But it's very clear, especially "shapes" and "motions" in music, colors are not that strong with music for me, as it is with the alphabet and numbers.

Sunbreak Music

• View Profile
    • Sunbreak Music, High Resolution Stereo Mastering
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 08:55:16 AM »
I attempted the test, and all I learned was that my ADD trumps synaesthesia.  I made it 13 clips before losing my mind.   ;)
Cass Anawaty, Mastering Engineer
www.sunbreakmusic.com

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 10:26:11 AM »
Then you passed the sanity test as only sane people lose their minds taking synaesthesia tests.  ;D  :D
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 08:45:34 AM »
Synaesthesia is real. I predominantly have the spatial-sequence form. Music invokes loooooooots of images and colors... I don't have the color association with numbers but do have it with words and flavors. I probably don't have as much of a syneasthetic connection with numbers because they are so widely used every day for me... I've never read a book... Well, maybe 1 or 2 but words, to me, are like blocks and I tend to analyze each word's shape and appearance rather than as it's intended to be a part of a larger story. I can read, of course, and I'm an amazing speller - well, not spelling bee level but my spelling and grammar are excellent but I perceive both spelling and grammar or sentence structure more mathmatically than from a language perspective.

Me have weer'd brain!

J.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:48:09 AM by Numina »

headonist

• trawling around
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 10:55:27 AM »
Numina, that is interesting what you say about books. I am quite good with the languages that I know (Swedish and English). But when it comes to books, I don't read more than I have to.

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 11:59:08 AM »
I was actually put in remedial reading when I was in grade school & in early junior high but I would ace math tests and set the curve for the class in high school. In grade school we'd have math speed tests, sometimes the teacher would just walk by me and put "A+" on the math sheet before I even started (I set the curve for the high school calculus final) yet I was put in a room with, well, with the mentally challenged. My mom saw that it was unnecessary - thank god because that was not the right setting for me either.  I think I am just bad with comprehension in reading mostly because I get so bored by page two of any book that I skim it and nothing sets in.  I am a very visual person by nature - My wife says I don't have any imagination and poor inference and that's why I don't like to read, but I have a great imagination, I just don't like to manifest it through reading, rather through experience and triggered by emotion, music, etc.  Now, here I am, and still don't like to read books and I'm only socially challenged!  :P

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 02:08:05 PM »
Hey Jesse - How are you with technical manuals then?
Specifically - synth or software manuals?
(You're obviously doing a great job with or without them.)

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 02:31:54 PM »
Hi Scott

Heh... I read technical stuff all the time and write legal documents.  Now that I've been working weekly away from home I bring and read synth docs, I like to do that... I actually feel like I'm sort of "playing" the synth when I read the manuals... I guess that could be qualified as synaesthetic too!  I can't say I really retain anything though.  :-X

P.S. Scott, your "Om" is phenomenal!  I was expecting something more droney but it's incredibly engaging.  Thank you very much!