Author Topic: Organizing large music collections.  (Read 13855 times)

ambient789

• View Profile
Organizing large music collections.
« on: January 11, 2009, 09:27:13 PM »
Did I notice someone on the forum that had 15,000 discs???   :o
How do you organize something that extensive???

I have about 720 discs and they are semi organized into broad categories.
Does anyone have their own organizational techniques? I wouldn't mind having ideas.
Thanks.

zzzone.net

• a numbers station ||| zzzone.net
    • View Profile
    • zzzone.net
Re: Organizing large music collections.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 05:44:25 AM »
It's difficult to say the least.

The best way is also the most time-intensive.

I am systematically ripping all my music to lossless format (.flac) and storing it on a music server which naturally makes finding and accessing the music infinitely easier.

http://www.slimdevices.com

Hence my "adventures in ripping" thread in which I detail my problems with CD-Rs and CDDAs.

http://www.hypnos.com/smf/index.php?topic=1352.0

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 08:12:40 AM »
for a long time i entered each new disc into an excel file and kept track of them that way. it has been almost 3 years since i have done that and my collection is in vast disarray. (i have somewhere in the vicinity of 5000 cd's.)
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 10:12:27 AM »
I gave up years ago...  In fact, I pulled all the cd's out of the jewels and tossed them in books and other media organizers.

I rely on the "stumble across" method of finding my music.  Which has its pros and cons.  ;-)
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 10:33:01 AM »
I don't really know how many cd's I have.  Less than 1500 I hope.  I only bought a few this past year.  I've been on a vinyl binge and have aquired around 200 lps since last spring.  Alot cheaper, if you know where to shop (antique stores, Goodwill, ect) and how to tell the good from the battered.
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 12:23:25 PM »
If I can find a flat surface anywhere in the house, I start stacking 'em there. That's because every square inch of available bookcases is filled. I have CDs stacked on three or four tables plus what's here at work (about 100-150 here, I think). I may rent a small self-storage space and just pack 'em up for there until I decide what to do with 'em. Swear to God, they're like Tribbles on super-tritacale.

As far as organizing them, I've given up, except my favorite 1,000 or so are semi-alphabetically sorted on one set of shelves...but genres are all mixed-up with new age intermixed with ambient intermixed with electronica, etc. So it goes.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 01:29:02 PM »
Swear to God, they're like Tribbles on super-tritacale.

Yes but they usually make a more pleasant sound, especially if you are a Klingon.  ;) ;D

I usually put my CDs in alphabetical order by artist, group, or region for my world music stuff. Compilations are at the end.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 02:07:31 PM »
JKN writes , "I rely on the "stumble across" method of finding my music.  Which has its pros and cons."  ;-)

Bill Binkelman writes , "If I can find a flat surface anywhere in the house, I start stacking 'em there."
  Sounds like a couple of you have stolen my system. ;)   Harry
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 02:36:17 PM »
After my house flooded, I put the lps in plastic tubs.  Not much touches the floor in our place.  Taught me to spend the extra $1.29 when buying sink connections. ::)
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 03:10:24 PM »
After my house flooded, I put the lps in plastic tubs.  Not much touches the floor in our place.  Taught me to spend the extra $1.29 when buying sink connections. ::)

I had some basement flooding once. The CDs were fine but I lost some REALLY mint condition silver-era Marvel comics! Sonuvabitch! >:(

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 03:18:55 PM »
Swear to God, they're like Tribbles on super-tritacale.

Yes but they usually make a more pleasant sound, especially if you are a Klingon.  ;) ;D

Kirk: "I know I had that Michael Stearns CD here somewhere..let's see...Serrie, Story...where the hell is it?"
Bones: "Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor not a music critic! Just gimme the album!"
Spock: "Fascinating...I do believe the good doctor could do with some soothing tones...perhaps some Jeff Pearce is in order?"

ambient789

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 10:40:19 PM »
Well, it seems that we all have our own, um, "system" for dealing with this. Don't worry about it though.  :)
For my case, probably a media cabinet would do the trick, but I don't have space for one right now.

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 09:15:03 AM »
Well, it seems that we all have our own, um, "system" for dealing with this. Don't worry about it though.  :)
For my case, probably a media cabinet would do the trick, but I don't have space for one right now.

I'll get serious a bit here and opine that, IMO, the system one uses is wholly dependent on WHAT sort of relationship one has to music and what the music is FOR. Myself, as a reviewer, my "pleasure listening" time for ambient and related genres is almost literally non-existent. I can't keep up with listening to what is submitted for review so I certainly can't entertain the notion of listening to ambient albums that I've already reviewed (sad but very much true). So, once an album is reviewed, it doesn't matter a lot where it goes, unless it's such a huge hit that one day I MAY want to play it again. There are, maybe, 25 or so albums that merit inclusion into my upstairs CD rack (a small one) where I keep recreational listening stuff (such as prog rock, non-ambient soundtracks, jazz, etc.). As for review submissions awaiting review, they are scattered everywhere: car, dining room table, desk at work, shelves at work, etc.

IF I were just a fan, I would DEFINITELY orgranize my collection in a clear-cut fashion as I am actually kinda anal about stuff like that. I'd categorize it, alphabetize it, and systematize (?) it. And I'd find a really nice oak display case for the upstairs and put my favorite 500 or so discs in it so visitors could peruse the colelction if they wanted to.

I do wish I had more time (in the way of organizing my CDs) to create and maintain a comprehensive database. The reason for that is this: When I'm writing a review, one thing I try to do is be able to cite specific comparisons or influences or "sounds like" in my reviews. But, to be frank and honest, after all these years and hearing thousands of albums, the musical references are starting to blur. I'll think "I know this guy sounds like someone else...but who?" But I don't have the time to go wading through thousands of CDs looking for that one title to jog my memory, e.g. "Oh yeah, he sounds like deep sky divers and Aetopus!"

What I REALLY need is someone like Lena (in more ways than one!  :o) who can get me more organized (I see what she's apparently done for Mike and Hypnos). Kathryn distances herself from this music as much as possible plus she is actually less organized than I am, if that's possible. But that's a whole other story.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 09:54:48 PM »
I don't have the greatest filing system, but I try to keep my ambient and electronic CDs separate from the rock and indie ones.  I also keep my classical, jazz and world music CDs separately, in (mostly) alphabetical order.

Forrest

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 10:53:46 AM »
I keep all my stuff mashed together, regardless of genre.  At last count on Discogs, I have about 1622 CDs/LPs/7"s.

There's a spot for the vinyl (totally unorganized—I'll get to it one of these days), and a big CD rack that has everything organized alphabetically.  Within each artist's section, the releases are organized chronologically by year of release.  Box sets/compilations/soundtracks/weird-sized-items are in a separate, smaller case.  I think I've done it this way since I started buying music.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 11:39:25 AM »
I do not have a huge collection of music, maybe 500 Cds. If I'd stayed buying music since I was a lad it would be a lot lot lot bigger....

I arrange mine as ambient first, in order of my favourite artists and each artists releases in chronological order (including any non ambient releases by that artist ie light fantastic by steve roach). Next is non ambient electronic, then there is a small section of non electronic music that has ambient presentations such as Tavener and david darling, then rock, then downstairs due to lack of space in cabinets upstairs is another small collection of rock and music with vocals, such as kate bush, laura veirs, nick drake and chris isaaks.....

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 11:17:06 AM »
I've got at least 2000+ in commercial/burn format. I have a 1000 CD rack in my closet, a 200, 255 (which is now loaded w/DVD's). 200 spinnable type rack, and a 768 rack and they are all loaded up and I need to clear some space in closet to get another 500 rack maybe to put/re-arrange stuff. I did mine as best I could across the racks in alphabetical order. I have slowed down somewhat on purchasing but still do. I used to buy 4-6 at a pop, now it's 1-3 maybe depending on how bad I want it.

I have no idea what I'll do when I decide to try and sell off some of these discs. Probably in lots. But a lot will be hard to part with since I still love a lot of them....at some point I'd like to get back to ripping my discs to mp3 and putting onto my NAS box or I am considering going WHS (windows home serve) and use my old XP3000 3Gb system for that and park it in the living room. Backups of all my systems to it as well as media serving I believe it can do. I need to do some more research on it. Anyone here using it? I'll start a thread I guess on it.

Mike