Author Topic: Let's introduce ourselves -- new Hypnos Forum members especially  (Read 61728 times)

Bill Binkelman

Re: It's a new year... let's introduce ourselves
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2009, 07:35:27 PM »
Hello, everyone

I am a huge ambient music fan, and my love for electronic music began many years ago when I discovered Berlin techno and rave. Next stop was chicago house. Then I discovered the likes of Zoviet France and Autechre. Later I got hooked on ethno-ambient, and Rapoon/Robin Storey became my obsession. As I grew older, I mellowed out a lot, and my ambient  musical tastes (d)evolved into drone music and indian ragas. On the other hand, when I need some adrenaline rush, I still love german industrial bands like Rammstein. I am a seriously foolish audiophile, and have a ton of money invested in fancy amps/speakers/wires/Cd-players. I love fast cars, and still drive only a stickshift.
 I happen to move around a lot, as I am a transitional protestant minister ;D, and currently live in Wisconsin.

Where in Wisconsin do you live? (It's my home state).

Sighthound

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2009, 10:57:25 AM »
Frank Sylvis and I live in the western suburbs of Philly (Bryn Mawr, Radnor, Villanova area).  Spent 10 years in New England (North Andover, Nashua, Methuen, Salem area).  My wife still works from home for a company based out of Salem, CoreMedical Group, placing traveling nurses and allied health professional.  I work for a local health system as a finance manager here in Bryn Mawr.  Been in love with ambient/electronic music for ever, originally starting with Pink Floyd, Wendy Carlos and TD.  I have about 750 pieces of vinyl in my basement including such labels as Audion, Secret Music and the IC label.  My family hates ambient and my wife accuses me of playing it just to drive them out of the family room where my 5.1 is set up.  ;)  Been buying Hypnos stuff and related CDs since about 1997.  I have over 1,000 disks of bought and self made ambiet/tribal/drone/space/soundscape stuff now.  Bought my 1st Steve Roach vinyl in 1984 (Structures from Silence) and my kids were born in Nashua to the sounds of the Quiet Music tapes.  (Didnt stick with them though).  Like to read and listen to the likes of Oophoi, Robert Rich, Hypnos, Spotted Peccary, Project, Roach, Brennan, Numina, and a lot of the new guys putting stuff out on net labels like Earth Mantra.  Been to several Gatherings, and even took my wife to one (huge mistake).  Intersperse my ambient with ECM jazz and ECM classical just to keep a semblance of peace (along with a local Classic Rock station).  Very amateur photographer, using a digital Nikon SLR, with a nice collection of Amish work.  (Spend my weekends traveling around Lancaster County.)  I like to lurk here and read the interactions between all of the ambient musicians, although not a musician myself, I enjoy the repartee.  As I write, I am listening to the new Mystahr offering from Earth Mantra.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2009, 12:04:17 PM »
It's been great to see all the posts by the lurkers and mostly-lurkers in this topic.  Keep 'em coming!
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2009, 03:56:06 AM »
Blake here; 26, kickin' it in SoCal.  Got into ambient music at around age 15, when a friend recommended Steve Roach to me.  When I next visited a cd shop, I browsed the (surprisingly considerable) collection of Steve Roach albums and chose "The Magnificent Void" for my inaugural voyage.

Whoa.

I was hooked, and have been collecting ever since.  I'm a fan of pretty much all ambient subgenres, save perhaps, for the Berlin school and some of the newer lo-fi droney stuff (there are good recordings, sure, but a lot of it just sounds to me rather cheap and carelessly - almost cynically - made).  Of late, I'm quite taken with the deep, spacey style of artists like Oophoi, Tau Ceti, and Seren Ffordd.

A year or so ago, I started tinkering around with some of my own ambient designs.  Unfortunately, the cost of decent equipment is rather prohibitive at the moment, so I only have FL Studio and a little mastering program called Goldwave to play around with.  Someday I hope to get the really cool toys.  I play drums and percussion as well, when time and neighbors permit.

As for the rest of my life: Not married, but partnered with an amazing woman (who, fortunately, shares many of my unusual musical tastes) for the past 2 1/2 years.  No pets currently, but we've talked about getting some hermit crabs soon.  I graduated from the University of California, Santa Barbara with a degree in physical anthropology and hope, in the fall, to start working in earnest toward a Ph.D. in the relatively new (and somewhat controversial) field of evolutionary psychology. 

I like philosophy (particularly phil. of mind and phil. of science), cheesy horror and sci-fi movies (been a Godzilla fan for as long as I can remember), good wine, good beer, good conversation.
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.

MPECK

• View Profile
    • MPECK MUSIC
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2009, 06:29:46 PM »
Michael Peck
Born 09/24/74 in Champaign, IL. Currently residing in Jonesborough, TN. with my wife and best friend Celeste and our three children Carly (13), Nolen (6), and William (2) and a porch cat named Sam. I had big fat black one named John Lee (after John Lee Hooker RIP) but he was a ramblin' man and hit the road a few years back. What's strange is I don't even like cats in general. But these two have character like none other.
I was raised with the sounds of Howlin' Wolf, Hound Dog Taylor and Elmore James echoing throughout the house from my Dad's old Technics record player. Joined the KISS Army in '77, made it through the glam and hair metal days of the late 80's, found grunge, then dove straight into death metal (teenage angst i suppose). I was taken by the complexity, speed and heaviness not so much the lyrical content.
Upon moving to TN. I of course found Bluegrass and Folk music to be my new calling. Dicked around with my friend Andy Harper learning the old standards and disecting Bela Fleck and Tony Furtado tunes.
So where does electronic/ambient/experimental music come in? Hold on, I'm getting there.
Around 1998 I got into digital music with Acid 2.0 and Soundforge. Started recording sounds with micro-cassette and then making loops and manipulating the sounds. I didn't know at the time there was a entire genre dedicated to this sort of thing.
So, I stumbled upon this guy Mike Griffin and his CD "Sudden Dark" and was hooked. My next purchase and still one of my faves was/is Rich/Roach "Soma." Just a year or so later after releasing a couple albums I hooked up with Mark Mahoney and together formed  Amaranth Signal, which later went onto release a couple well noted albums of traditional space-ambient music.
In 2007 I released my fourth solo album Glacial on Gears of Sand. 2008 was a great year for me. Playing the Gatherings with Mark, having a track on the Hypnos SOAUO compilation and winning the laptop battle at the electro-music.com festival were some of the highlights.
I've met some great people along the way (Robert Rich, John Serrie, Mike Griffin, Jonathan Block, Chuck and Art from MoIT, Orbital Decay and a slew of others). My most recent album DYSMHA is out now on Chaotic Underworld Records. I put the synths down and picked the guitar up to conure up some of my darkest work to date. I'm always collaborating and working on music. It's my passion and I'm driven to push the envelope. I've also met some great people on this board (Jason Sloan, Martin Fuhs, Bill Binkelman, Darren Bergstein etc.).
Sorry to be long winded. Other than my social security number, you now know about as much as anyone else.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 10:11:52 AM by MPECK »

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2009, 07:53:59 PM »
So what's your social security number? :)

Resonant Drift

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2009, 01:52:51 PM »
Hi,

My name is Bill Olien.  I was born in Wisconsin but raised all over living in several states including Wisconsin, Arizona and New York.  I served in the Air Force for 7 years.  I currently live in Southern California (Murrieta is the name of the City).  I work as an administrator in the local school district.  A very busy and stressful job that leaves less time for music than I would like.  I am married with one son who is 10.

Music has always been a passion and I love all types.  Some of my favorite artists include artists such as U2, Van Morrison, Son Volt, Beatles, Steve Roach.  I have been a fan of electronic music since the early 80s but it has only been in the last couple years that I got serious about doing some of my own.  A few months ago I connected with another ambient artist and we are working on a CD together.

abasio

• comatose hallucination connoisseur
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2009, 09:04:21 AM »
Hi I am Abasio
Joseph from England but now living in Japan.
I registered here a while back but was followed by a stalker & I didn't come back. I think it is gone now so I'd like to be more active.

Been getting more & more into ambient & love a lot of the artists talked about here. I have more varied tastes in music too though & review a fair bit. Visit me at http://abasioforum.myfreeforum.org/  ::)

Boris Lelong

• View Profile
    • Cinematic Soundscapes :: World Music Projects
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2009, 03:34:11 PM »
Bonjour tous,

I am Boris Lelong, 38, and I live in Saint Denis, France.

I work for Altamira, a sociocultural project focusing on music as a tool of social development. Basically, I record/publish music and organize cultural gatherings with various communities in Asia, Africa and in my hometown - but it's much more than that...
http://www.altamiraworld.net

I discovered electronic music in the mid-80s, with Vangelis and JM Jarre and then Klaus Schulze, and became deeply involved in the late 80s when I came across the works of Steve Roach (Dreamtime Return, Quiet Music, Desert Solitaire...) and Brian Eno (Apollo, Music For Airports, Thursday Afternoon...)

I had my first synthesizer at the age of 13 (that was 1984) and made my first ambient albums in 1990/91 (on cassettes for friends) but produced very little during the rest of the 90s. I have been composing again in the present decade, notably completing two (unreleased) albums of which I am quite proud. Besides electronics, I play all sorts of acoustic instruments from all over the world.
http://www.myspace.com/borislelong

I joined the Hypnos forum a few years ago but never really took the time to contribute (I am such a slow writer !), though I composed a mini-album as a "joining gift" and made it available to all ambient fans on the Hypnos forum (and elsewhere...)
For those who missed it, it's called Hypnostasis, and you can find it here as a free download :
http://www.borislelong.com/hypnostasis

Many thanks to the team who manages this forum, it's great to have a place like this ! I visit once in a while to check the news and debates, and it's a pleasure...

doombient

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2009, 07:21:57 AM »
Hi all,

even though I separately opened a brief thread to introduce myself a couple of days ago, I thought I should say hello to everybody around!

My names Stephen Parsick, aged 37 (well, almost, just six more weeks to go...), I was born in Moers/Germany. I got in touch with electronic music already at a very early age (most notably Wendy Carlos, Jean-Michel Jarre, and Kraftwerk). In May 1983 I started taking musical lessons for seven years, and in 1989 I released not only my first track ever on a compilation album but also my very first cassette tape. In 1998 I released my first official CD called "Traces of the Past" (which was reissued in a redux version in 2007) that was very strongly influenced by early Berlin School stuff (and performed on the original Mellotrons of Klaus Schulze and Tangerine Dream, for those who might find that important). My second official CD was released in 2005 (called "Hoellenengel") which was basically performed on the same instruments Vangelis had at his disposal when recording the Blade Runner score (which is the mood I tried to capture with this album). Between 2006 and 2008 I released a series of ambient music albums which were produced in small quantities of 25 copies each. I also focussed on creating a couple of albums which are available as download-albums only. I work as a semi-professional musician and a professional language trainer.

Some of you may also know me through my collaboration with Lambert Ringlage in 1993 which ultimately lead to the foundation of my own band ['ramp] in 1996. With ['ramp] I recorded five official albums plus a couple of limited-edition releases. At first, we were firmly rooted in the Berlin School Retro Movement of the 1970s (with musical mates like Radio Massacre International, FSP, or Redshift) while later albums saw us get deeper into ambient territories (particularly "ceasing to exist" which was recorded in collaboration with touch guitar player Markus Reuter). ['ramp] disbanded in 2008 as we felt that our musical and artistic goals were no longer compatible, and now ['ramp] is only me (and sometimes guests, if they feel so inclined).

I also collaborated with Cosmic Hoffmann (Klaus Hoffmann-Hoock, also known for his Mind over Matter albums on IC) on a couple of albums under the Cosmic Hoffmann moniker, most notably on the first three of them.

I of course do enjoy ambient music a lot (in fact, I make it myself just to find something to fall asleep to ;) ), and I would call people like Robert Rich, Brian Eno, Steve Roach or Michael Stearns my major influences in that area. I also like more abrasive sequencer-driven stuff (of the sort Mark Shreeve and I created, or Node, for that matter) but at the moment Im more into more experimental electronic music. I enjoy toying around with exotic vintage synthesisers, and I have a soft spot for analogue studio hardware (anyone selling an API desk, or a Neve?).

Stephen
"Honour thy error as a hidden intention." (Brian Eno)

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2009, 09:03:54 AM »
My second official CD was released in 2005 (called "Hoellenengel") which was basically performed on the same instruments Vangelis had at his disposal when recording the Blade Runner score (which is the mood I tried to capture with this album).

That's a really neat idea.  Where can one find this cd or download these days?

terraamb

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2009, 12:58:10 PM »
well, it's not such a new year anymore, but in the spirit of continuity...

Im Jeff Kowal, I record under the auspices of TERRA AMBIENT. I am also the co-founder of Lotuspike Records http://www.lotuspike.com, with my partners Ben Cox and Daniel Pipitone, who occasionally pops up here in the forums. I have 3 releases out. The most recent, Wanderlust, was just released this month. I work with just about anything I can strum, bang, press or blow into. My work has been used for gallery installations, as well as for broadcast TV and independent film.For more information about me, you can check out my blog at http://www.terraambient.com

starwalker464

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2009, 10:40:54 AM »
Im Mike Valant, 45 in West Palm Beach, Florida, born in Indiana but been in Florida over 40 yrs.  I spent 5 years in US Air Force stationed in Germany last 3 years.  Currently studying to be an insurance adjuster which July i finish, after that im welcoming a brand new career and life.

Enjoy all strains of electronic music, currently im mostly into ambient, however i do like sequencer based music as well.  Favorite artists: Redshift, Spyra, RMI, KS, TD, Ian Boddy, Code Indigo and tons more.  Lately im into ambient, especially Steve Roach spacey stuff, Telomere, and Hypnos Chad Hoefler whoops guess hes Lotuspike now.

Thats a bit about me, i took a hiatus from this forum for awhile, why, i really dont know, just lost touch, but im back now.

ambient789

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2009, 06:37:49 PM »
Okay, since this thread has been silent for awhile, I'll put up a reply.

To catch up on things.....Just call me ambient789. My first name is shared by several others on this forum and I want to minimize possible confusion.

Been with ambient types for music for a very long time. I guess I was just made for this stuff. When I first heard it I knew that was what I really liked. I've never really liked popular types of music and I even haven't enjoyed that much classical or jazz.

Unfortunately, I'm on a break again from serious listening of music.  :-\

I work part time as an I.T. Technician for a small Midwest USA municipality.

I was sorry to hear about Jim.   :(   Some of his reviews were helpful to me.

Sunbreak Music

• View Profile
    • Sunbreak Music, High Resolution Stereo Mastering
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2009, 05:44:11 PM »
I guess I never really did this.   ;D

My name is Cass Anawaty, and I work as a mastering engineer, composer, producer, and whatever else pays bills.  Longtime fan of ambient works, heavily influenced by Patrick O'Hearn, Mark Isham, and a few others from the early Windham Hill days, but have yet to produce a full album's worth of my own ambient works.  Hoping to get to it this year, but have said that before.   ;)

I might know a few of you, and if not am sure we've got common friends.  I'm in the process of releasing a collaboration between myself and artist/producer Paul Russell that would probably fall into the world ambient category.....or at least a few of the tracks.  I'll let you know when it's available and sound clips are up.

Thanks for this place--I should have found you folks a long, long, time ago. 
Cass Anawaty, Mastering Engineer
www.sunbreakmusic.com

treibklang

• View Profile
    • treibklang's home
New Year ... soon again ;)
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2009, 10:15:05 AM »
My first posting to this forum, thought it to be a good idea to introduce myself.
Although I recently checked Hypnos home page, it needed a link on another forum to point me here. From what I read so far, this seems an interesting and nice place to be, from now on taking the advantage of being registered to memorize read posts ;)
My name is Stefan, long time interestee in (traditional) electronic music, ambient and similar styles. Also trying to compose music myself, if time allows. And since summer 2008, I produce a weekly podcast on electronic music named syndae each and every Friday at midnight.

Cheers,
Stefan
sound's good
http://www.syndae.de - your podcast on fine electronic music

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2009, 10:20:16 AM »
Hi Stefan and Cass.  Thanks for introducing yourselves, and welcome to the Hypnos Forum.  Feel free to start new topics and contribute in whatever way seems interesting to you.  We can always use some "new blood" here.

[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

cromag

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2009, 09:12:31 PM »
Hello, treibklang!
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."

MatthewJ

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2009, 07:25:05 AM »
Hello. MatthewJ from London, UK. I used to post a little on the old forum. I have never been a musician or had a desire to make music myself, but am a keen listener of ambient music, in particular Mathias Grassow, Steve Roach and Harold Budd. I also enjoy a lot of 70’s disco and R&B such as The Temptations, The Trammps etc.

I started listening to more downtempo music in 1994, at the age of 15/6 when people like the Aphex Twin released albums such as SAW 2 and Jose Padilla released the original Café Del Mar Compilations.  Ten years on and I had long stopped listening to house and decided to collect ambient instead.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 12:53:21 PM by MatthewJ »

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2009, 09:19:53 AM »
Welcome (back), MatthewJ!