Author Topic: The Foundry: Closed  (Read 2982 times)

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
The Foundry: Closed
« on: January 14, 2009, 07:09:06 PM »
I'm surprised nobody's brought this sad topic up yet.

Anybody out there able to fill me in on why this fine label decided to close up shop?  I've not seen M. Bentley around these parts in a while ...

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
Re: The Foundry: Closed
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 07:11:21 PM »
I should have included the statement on the Foundrysite:

The following will probably not be a surprise to regular visitors, given the lack of news and releases during the last 18 months, but this is an official notice that The Foundry is closing its business doors this month on our 11th anniversary.    

Thanks to all who have supported our projects - I believe we contributed something unique to the musical landscape. It makes me very sad to bring this part of my life to a close, but circumstances change - the economics and other factors leave me little choice.    

I will continue my work with sound and visuals, and it will be good to get back to the artistic side of things. I hope to see you all again at some point in the future. The doors may be closing, but the fire is not going out. Michael Bentley 10/2008

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 08:14:47 PM »
I haven't talked to Michael Bentley since his most recent announcement, but I do know that he had talked about shutting down The Foundry as far back as 2000 or so.  It follows that the market for ambient & experimental CDs has dropped off since that time, and he probably shut down The Foundry for the same reason most small label owners give up.  That is, the financial equation becomes more and more difficult, while the work involved in releasing and promoting and selling a CD stays the same, so often people start wondering whether it's worth it.

I'll miss The Foundry.  I think Michael had a unique aesthetic sense, and good taste, not to mention that his own music was quite good too.  Maybe we'll yet hear another eM album in the future, whether or not it's on The Foundry.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 09:47:30 PM »
Michael announced this on the ambient@hyperrreal list and I responded there. It's a sad but inevitable fact that this is what can happen to small labels. I still consider some Foundry releases to be excellent ambient recordings, e.g. Ben Swire's Equilibrium, Jonathan Hughes' Trillium, and Michael's own all the stars burning bright as brilliant works.

This sad happenstance only underscores Hypnos' survival as all the more remarkable, IMO, and points to Mike Griffin's steadfastness and dedication (is the check in the mail, Mike?).  ;D

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 10:18:02 PM »
I've spoken with Michael recently about the closing of Foundry.  I think that the continuously shrinking market for conventionally manufactured CDs had a lot to do with it, especially as it applied to distribution.  It's really a shame, because Michael was instrumental in bringing together several of us Bay Area ambient musicians under the Archipelago umbrella.  We met on a semi-regular basis at different Korean restaurants to talk shop and brainstorm, and it was a lot of fun.  I met Saul at one of these dinners.  Michael also sponsored several "Foundry" nights at local venues a few years back, that featured music performances by Foundry artists and video.  The Foundry label had some really cool "concept" albums, like 360 degrees, and Jonathan Hughes' Fluidities, and will be sorely missed.  Hopefully, my Invisibility release with Carl Weingarten did not hasten its decline!

Forrest

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 12:14:25 AM »
Hopefully, my Invisibility release with Carl Weingarten did not hasten its decline!

Strange. I just pulled that one out for a spin the other day. A great release for all concerned.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 09:46:27 AM »
Not sure...what releases it was on the label...but the Seafon album is amazing...

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 06:25:10 PM »
sad news, indeed. i really love the foundry releases and some of the concepts were really cool - like the 3" cd' series and the different names under which michael recorded. really different ideas and left field out of the box thinking.
seofon's cd's have been on the foundry.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 09:33:38 PM »
Yep, Seofon's Zero Point (on Foundry) was a great one.

Forrest