Author Topic: Steve Roach Starting Point ?  (Read 7555 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Re: Steve Roach Starting Point ?
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 01:39:11 PM »
Hehe lots of competent information here :)
Well I ordered the 4CD box Mystical Chords and Sacred... and the 3 immersed volumes and Possible Planet as a start (but after listening to some samples)
I guess you can't do lots of mistakes with his music.
Let's hope they arrive soon

Well, since I assume you prefer his "atmospheric space" style..you have made a very good selection!

I am very eager to see what Roach will release this year.... his music is like a drug really..can't get enough of it...
I guess he could release a new album each month if he wanted too..but I think I read somewhere in an interview..that he has set
an policy to not release more then 5-6 albums per year..to avoid quanity instead of quality...
However..I still think he should do as Robert Rich has done recently, he has begin to release "internet only" releases...
Might be a good idea for Roach aswell..

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 03:10:20 PM »
I could never get into Dreamtime Return because I really dislike the sound(s) of it.

But I do like, or love, most of his other stuff so far. I must say I do prefer his more 'active' music.
'Darkest Before Dawn' is definately too much for me. Or better said, too little. Too little substance. I just can't listen to such still, repetitive and minimal atmospheres. Maybe only as background sound.
I absolutely love Magnificent Void (IMO his all time greatest beyond any doubt), which is more like 'maximal atmospheres'. Although it took many, many listenings before I felt that way. :)

One of my favorite recent works is Arc of Passion, especially the first half of the title track (I think it's better than anything on Landmass, although I like that one too).
The warm sounds, the beautiful emotional chords, the rich and detailed sequences, the smooth build up. Seriously, this piece reaches a PERFECT momentum at some point. You will know when.

Anyway, maybe the best starting point would be Kairos. A fantastic 'showcase' of his music (mixed/edited material from various previous releases + some album-unique sounds) and u get great visuals with it too.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 03:15:05 PM by DeepR »

Wanterkeelt

• Do you know this man ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 01:46:22 AM »
Well, since I assume you prefer his "atmospheric space" style..you have made a very good selection!

I am very eager to see what Roach will release this year.... his music is like a drug really..can't get enough of it...
I guess he could release a new album each month if he wanted too..but I think I read somewhere in an interview..that he has set
an policy to not release more then 5-6 albums per year..to avoid quanity instead of quality...
However..I still think he should do as Robert Rich has done recently, he has begin to release "internet only" releases...
Might be a good idea for Roach aswell..

Hmm "internet only" you mean download albums or CD albums only available through his webstore ? Personally I don't like download only albums as I prefer to have the physical media in my shelf instead of some files on my hard drive. But I think this is another discussion ;)

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 01:13:43 PM »
I highly doubt SR will ever release anything as a download, from what I know of his opinion on the subject.  Personally I don't like download only albums either.  I was disappointed to not be able to buy a CD of the new Max Corbacho "Breathstream." This is a download only as well.

sio

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 06:22:15 AM »
I was disappointed to not be able to buy a CD of the new Max Corbacho "Breathstream." This is a download only as well.

I known how you feel, i was disappointed too at first, but hey, you can download it as FLAC, decompress,  burn your own CD as.Wav and print the artwork for yourself. I suppose this is the next best thing to a cd release. Just a bit more work (It lets you get involved with the cd product creation i suppose).

Great album by the way....

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 10:33:39 AM »
I highly doubt SR will ever release anything as a download, from what I know of his opinion on the subject.  Personally I don't like download only albums either. 

What about something released only as a podcast, any problems with that?
Take care.

- Loren Nerell