Author Topic: Hi from New Zealand  (Read 2530 times)

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
Hi from New Zealand
« on: January 16, 2009, 06:01:35 PM »
Hello from New Zealand

I've got a rare working connection here, so I thought I'd take advantage of it.  I'm in New Zealand on holiday (I'm normally from Brisbane, Australia), and just wanted to say hello to the hypnos folks.  It's amazingly beautiful here-  We're on the South Island, and so far we've driven from Christchurch, through Arthur's Pass (the most amazing scenery I have yet seen anywhere), Franz Josef, and now we're in Wanaka.  The scenery just gets more and more beautiful as we journey on.

The combination of 3,000 metre high mountains plunging into gigantic Azure lakes (that resemble oceans), as clouds gather and cast shadows on vertical cliff faces....is almost too much to bear.   It's just shockingly beautiful.  It's such a unique looking place- Imagine Switzerland, meets Middle Earth, meets Jurassic Park, and you're getting close.   I experienced a rather sublime moment this morning, kayaking along with my son Luka.  These freakingly huge mountains rising out of the lake....it made me realise how important travelling is, and how I need to do more of it.  I know that some of you climb mountains, and I'm suddenly very jealous.  I'd love to do something like that, but it's a bit hard with kids etc.  Someday.

As some of you might know, the reason I'm over here is to work on some new music (as well as have a holiday).  Well, I've had no luck yet.  I sit down at night with the laptop and keyboard, and....nothing.  I know that when I get back into my little studio at home, the music will start coming out- It's almost as if I won't let myself write music in inspirational settings.  :)  I don't quite understand why that is.  Maybe the combination of being on holiday and trying to write just don't mix.

I see there is another Mirko on the forum!  Hi Mirko!  Well that felt odd.  I'm used to being the only Mirko around.  :) 
Oh, and thank for some of the lovely responses to the album- I really appreciate it!

Anyway, gotta go. 

Mirko
Listen to deepspace here: http://deepspacehome.com

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
Re: Hi from New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 09:27:16 PM »
Hey Mirko,

Alot of Americans have migrated over to New Zealand. As I understand it our money is worth double over there.  8)  I've seen lots of photos and it would be my first choice to become an expatriate! I'm envious. I'm going to have to visit someday. Don't worry about the music thing, I'm sure it'll affect your music later on.

Steve

Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 11:04:31 PM »
Making music while on vacation?!  Well, you're one very dedicated musician...:)

Forrest

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 04:05:37 PM »
Hi Mirko - When I was young, my Mom had a friend/pen-pal in NZ and they'd send us
these stunning colour brochures and such of the mountains and countryside.
It always seemed very storybook to imagine living there.

BTW - I rarely compose from the moment I'm in (unless it's a jamming situation)
but just absorb and it all becomes part of the life-synthesis/jumble that oozes out later.
(Perhaps many years later.) We have started renting a cottage by the water
in last few years though - and I drag up my laptop, hard-drives, small speakers
and headphones and enjoy setting up by the lake (with a loooong extension)
and editing tracks, experimenting and following no serious agenda.  For me - that's relaxing.
Lynn snapped a photo here:  (It's no NZ but it's ours for 2 weeks)  :)
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3593/1204/1600/working%20Aug%2006.04.jpg

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 04:41:30 PM »
Making music while on vacation?!  Well, you're one very dedicated musician...:)

Forrest

Maybe you're right Forrest, I'd never thought of making music being work....but dammit, maybe I should just have a holiday....
funnily enough, after writing my whinging email the other day, I started writing a couple of pieces last night.  Who knows where they might lead....

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 04:45:10 PM »
Glad you're enjoying your trip, Mirko.

I haven't been to New Zealand myself, but when Rudy Adrian (who is from New Zealand) came to Portland a few years ago, he said Oregon reminded him very much of home.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 04:46:57 PM »
Hi Mirko - When I was young, my Mom had a friend/pen-pal in NZ and they'd send us
these stunning colour brochures and such of the mountains and countryside.
It always seemed very storybook to imagine living there.

BTW - I rarely compose from the moment I'm in (unless it's a jamming situation)
but just absorb and it all becomes part of the life-synthesis/jumble that oozes out later.
(Perhaps many years later.) We have started renting a cottage by the water
in last few years though - and I drag up my laptop, hard-drives, small speakers
and headphones and enjoy setting up by the lake (with a loooong extension)
and editing tracks, experimenting and following no serious agenda.  For me - that's relaxing.
Lynn snapped a photo here:  (It's no NZ but it's ours for 2 weeks)  :)
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3593/1204/1600/working%20Aug%2006.04.jpg

I laughed when I saw that photo- at the jolt of self-recognition I got from seeing you sitting there, doing the same bloody thing I'm trying to do. Ambient musicians are such curious creatures, trying to break down the barrier between their perception and their ability to express it via music.  That's a cool photo.  I especially like the beer sitting there...that can be great for inspiration too. ;)  I should have bought a setup like yours. :) We're in Queenstown right now...and it's just...words fail...hideously beautiful will have to do.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 08:01:20 PM »
We go camping and cottaging a fair bit, and I always take some gear with me. I picked up the little Alesis Micron precisely for that. Small but powerful thing to play with and make new patches for when I get back to the studio. Just need it, a pair of headphones, and a beautiful lake.  :)
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans