Author Topic: Windows Home Server/DIY NAS software/NAS device? Which do you use?  (Read 5037 times)

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
Hi,

I currently have a DNS-323 NAS box w/2 500GB SATA II's in mirrored configuration. I have been debating on going Windows Home Server route or perhaps using my old PC for a DIY NAS setup utilizing free software. WHS is ~$100 which isn't expensive IMHO. My NAS cost me ~$450 when I purchased the unit + 2 drives back then. I can see it via my PS3 but can't get to any mp3's off it. I have it set up wirelessly. I read it works better wired as well as get some other software installed on the linux side and it will work (so they said).....

What do you use, if anything of this type and your thoughts on options available now. I am not looking to go drop a lot more money on it. If I can re-use the 500's in WHS via sofware raid that'd work out well. I believe I can connect to of them currently to the mobo in there now. Not sure if it's SATA I or II (I think I as the board is old nowadays).

Mike

zzzone.net

• a numbers station ||| zzzone.net
    • View Profile
    • zzzone.net
Re: Windows Home Server/DIY NAS software/NAS device? Which do you use?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 09:50:09 AM »
I use my server exclusively for music, Mike.  I'm iin the process of ripping my collection to .flac files.

The "server" is just a plain ol' HP Slimline computer which is very energy efficient.

Here's my review of the Squeezebox music server which I am quite satisfied with:

http://www.epinions.com/review/Logitech_Squeezebox_Boom_epi/content_455811108484

It's more of a how-to than a review.

I've considered a NAS but the cost is a bit higher than my setup.

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
Re: Windows Home Server/DIY NAS software/NAS device? Which do you use?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 09:18:47 PM »
I think I'm going to buy the new HP ex485 mediasmart server. It's now got a Celeron 64 2.0Ghz CPU and 2Gb memory vs version 1 which has AMD Sempron 1.8Ghz and 512Mb memory. For the money it'd cost me to update this tower case (today it lost video and was inaccessible so I had to reset it... = not a good sign, it's an old system, I'd have to replace the PSU anyways as no SATA power plugs to start and 350w + old) is not too far off from the new box. Amazon has it for $549 pre-order vs $599 at HP and BB sites (pre-order only). Supposed to start shipping next week I think per BB's site. And it's a LOT smaller than this tower case, time to put it to pasture. Part out what I can to sell/give away/re-use and toss rest.

And the new WHS w/PP1 apparently has support for Apple Time Machine now as well as some other stuff.