Author Topic: Steve Roach News  (Read 36219 times)

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
From the instant of the first sound clip this sounds awe inspiring. Steve Roach is creating something massive here.

I am listening to Arc of Passion right now, and love that one too. Roach's music is like a sonic companion in late hours.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
It is hard to judge now... To be honest I did expect some more similar to Brian Parnham's "Mantle"
But it really impossible to say now... It sounds really deep that is for sure...I think I will have similar experiences as to Mystic & chords & Immersion.
We will see once I am "inside" the music when I listen to it in bed with headphones, that's the real deep listening test...

Robert Logan

• View Profile
I love Mystic Chords and Sacred Spaces (and most of Steve's work), but for some reason these excerpts aren't quite doing it for me. Then again, they are excerpts, and I probably went in with the wrong expectations. The incredible artwork, some great recent Roach releases, the disc's write up and the long period the work was composed over made me expect bold and radical soundworls like the shimmering beauties that reside in Mystic Chords and Sacred Spaces or even The Magnificent Void, rather than the more subtle, vague-sounding snippets on display here (with one or two exceptions). If I give Roach's music a break for a while and buy the full product I think I'll end up loving it like usual, though. :) Perhaps I've been listening to too much of his material, rendering this as a bit "Roach-by-numbers" (when it may be something more special altogether.)   
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 08:19:22 AM by Robert Logan »

Resonant Drift

• View Profile
It sounds interesting and I agree at first blush it has a bit of the Mystic Chords sound.  I like the long form pieces but for me it takes a long time to really get into a work of that length.  (Heck I had to listen a dozen times to the new U2 album before I could really get a feel for it)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
It sucks, that I only have like 2 dollars on my accounts right now...Can't order the cd :(

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
Just placed my order for this one yesterday and am looking forward to it.  I'd taken a break from picking up new Steve Roach albums (well, for a few months anyway), but I'm ready again for more.  If Dynamic Stillness is deep ambience in the vein of the terrific Mystic Chords set, I'm sure I'll love it.  The Erik Wollo collaboration sounds nice too.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
I hope I can afford to buy it tomorrow, I am a poor fuck...
right now...but this cd is really want...Steve Roach is pretty much the only cds
I have bought the last 2 years, I think ESOTERIC - The Manaical Vale, was the only cd I bought last year
. And it is so exciting to wait for them, once I order them
it takes about 1-2 weeks for them to arrive, it is always exciting to look in the post box if it
has arrived :)
And it is magical when you finally hold the disc in your hand! :)
You do not get the same feeling with mp3 for sure...

I am trying to not have too high expectations, but I try to be more "spiritually ready" to perceive this music...
Cause of my low-quality soundcard..I have not been able to enjoy deep ambient music for some time now...
How however Metal music works fine though...I aim to buy a new sound card this month...where I hope
I will enjoy a more deep and detailed sound...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 02:29:51 PM by Immersion »

9dragons

• View Profile
And it is so exciting to wait for them, once I order them
it takes about 1-2 weeks for them to arrive, it is always exciting to look in the post box if it
has arrived :)
And it is magical when you finally hold the disc in your hand! :)
You do not get the same feeling with mp3 for sure...

I got a big smile out of this. I feel the same way, waiting for an album to arrive, and it's good to hear of someone else who still values this experience. The day when something arrives is special. I set aside the album for a late night listening. I go over the packaging and get into the essence of it. After my wife goes to bed, I retreat back into my work studio and put on the headphones for the first journey. It even inspires me to draw better, this excitement of new music.

I ordered Dynamic Stillness a few days ago...

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
dynamic stillness came today - ooooooooooooooooooooh! this is a great set! and i love steve's music in this style. nobody does it better than he does!
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Resonant Drift

• View Profile
I just got it in the mail today also...am listening it to right now.  So far, very, very nice...

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
I recieved my copy of Stillness in the mail today. Uploaded to Ipod already. Partial listen. Digging it! Will save for desert trip this Monday night. In the Stillness of the night somewhere near Lucerne Valley in the Buttes. With cougars howlin in the night.

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
Got the new one today with Landmass and Stream of Thought.  Have not played it yet, since it seems more like "night music."   I've been listening to the Erik W°llo collaboration all day instead!  Not really a W°llo fan, but this CD is terrific.

stuyvesant

• View Profile
Dynamis Stillness is an excellent CD. I have listened to it several times since i got it and I find something new each time. This is very cool.

9dragons

• View Profile
Best Roach cover art since, maybe, Mystic Chords. Reminds me of the cover of Stalker.

The music, from my initial listen of the first track, is very intriguing. Roach has a special skill of beginning albums with glorious intros. I am very much looking forward to wading deeper into this one.

DeepR

• View Profile
Digging it... I think "Slowly Revealed" instantly made it to my top 5 Roach pieces

9dragons

• View Profile
WOW. Headphoned the second disc last night, and was completely enthralled by the majesty and complexity. At the risk of speaking too soon, I think this is one of my favorite Roach albums.

ffcal

• View Profile
Just got this one, too.  Very enjoyable, especially disc 2.

Forrest

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
Gah!  I'm still waiting for my copy.  This is torture!    ;)
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

Ekstasis

• View Profile
I am listening to it as well, I am still waiting for my CD, but I have downloaded it from [edited by forum administrator]. (yes please come and spank me)

I am not sure if it is as good as I expected, but it will definitely take some time to sink into this music, I think it will maybe grow
and with time new doors will be opened.
And I will wait to give my final judgment when I have my new soundcard and my headphone amp setup.
The sound is not smooth and clear enough with my soundcard Line 6 POD X3 (only a temporary solution)

But I can already now say, it is not better then Mystic Chords & Sacred Spaces. It is still Steve Roach's ultimate masterpiece.

[note: I deleted the name of the place where Immersion said he downloaded a bootleg copy of Dynamic Stillness.  While he paid for a copy, and I understand his eagerness to hear the music in advance of his CD arriving, it's not OK to tell people where they can download ambient music without paying for it -- not everybody is scrupulous enough to order the CD rather than just downloading it for free.  -mgriffin]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 09:53:37 AM by mgriffin »